• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Drivers - York/Blackpool/Skipton (22/12/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl grindrod

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2022
Messages
71
Location
Bacup
Hi guys, just wondering if it has taken any of you multiple times to apply and be accepted through to the assessments. This is my 4th attempt at applying for Northern. Got through the applicatuon stage for the Blackburn role only to be told they'd filled all the vacant roles. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same experience?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ThePeakNed

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2021
Messages
234
Location
Salop
I have a few questions.

1. Why do the east and west sides still have different terms and conditions, especially for new starters?

2.1. Are they recruiting drivers “off the street” as it were or do they have to be employed as guards etc first?

2.2. What does internal mean? And

2.3. Have I just answered my own question?

3.1. How much use of the Monk Breton branch (former Midland Main Line) is there on the east side? And

3.2. Does the west side use it at all?
1. It’s because previously Northern was two different TOCs. West was First North Western, East was Arriva Trains Northern. The conditions apply to everyone regardless of location, new starter or not.

2.1. Driver recruitment is fair game. You don’t HAVE to be a guard first, but the operational and safety knowledge does come in hand.

2.2. Internal means an applicant that already works for northern.

2.3. Sort of.

3.1. Both training centres use it as and when required. If memory serves it’s used on at least one day per mainline drivers course.

3.2. As above.
 

507020

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2021
Messages
1,983
Location
Southport
1. It’s because previously Northern was two different TOCs. West was First North Western, East was Arriva Trains Northern. The conditions apply to everyone regardless of location, new starter or not.

2.1. Driver recruitment is fair game. You don’t HAVE to be a guard first, but the operational and safety knowledge does come in hand.

2.2. Internal means an applicant that already works for northern.

2.3. Sort of.

3.1. Both training centres use it as and when required. If memory serves it’s used on at least one day per mainline drivers course.

3.2. As above.
1. I am aware that Northern (and TransPennine Express) were previously organised as separate companies in the east and west, but given that this arrangement ceased on 12 December 2004, my question was actually why at no point in almost 20 years have any of the previous 3 incarnations of Northern harmonised the conditions for new starters?

2. So effectively if you are a guard first it just makes it easier for you to get yourself through the training. I’m not particularly keen on taking on the vast level of responsibility a train driver has and find myself more interested in the infrastructure, but if I was to pursue this career path I may prefer to be a guard.

3. This is good news. Do trainee guards also receive training on the former MML e.g. for emergency situations?
 

ThePeakNed

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2021
Messages
234
Location
Salop
1. I am aware that Northern (and TransPennine Express) were previously organised as separate companies in the east and west, but given that this arrangement ceased on 12 December 2004, my question was actually why at no point in almost 20 years have any of the previous 3 incarnations of Northern harmonised the conditions for new starters?

2. So effectively if you are a guard first it just makes it easier for you to get yourself through the training. I’m not particularly keen on taking on the vast level of responsibility a train driver has and find myself more interested in the infrastructure, but if I was to pursue this career path I may prefer to be a guard.

3. This is good news. Do trainee guards also receive training on the former MML e.g. for emergency situations?
1. I think the idea of harmonising T&Cs at Northern has been mooted, but never seen through. Any harmonisation talks seem to fall down as it’s normally the East the end up actually benefitting, so I’m told.

2. Not easier per se. Starting your career as a guard gets you more adapt to the working environment, you appreciate why certain things do what they do or work how they work. They’re obviously very different roles and how you slot in to them is equally different. Some people enjoy being a guard, some enjoy being a driver. I know plenty guards who would never even contemplate driving, known just as many go from guard to a job in control.

3. Trainee guards get taught PTS at a Northern TMD (normally either Newton Heath or Neville Hill, sometimes Holbeck) and you demonstrate how you’d apply Track Circuit Operating Clips, but that’s it. You’ll certainly be taught how to lay emergency protection, but for guards, the reality is the first time you’ll do it practically is if you have to actually physically lay emergency protection. You may witness a train rolling over detonators at a depot whilst you’re training, but it’ll be the tutor that lays them.
 

Dubbs60

New Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
1
Location
Skipton
I’m actually starting to wonder if there’s any point applying for these positions! I’ve applied twice in last 18 months to Skipton, received an email today stating the position I have applied for is no longer available and has been withdrawn from their hiring plans. Second time this has happened. And to apply for other places you have to totally redo your application, that’s if you live within 45 minutes of said station, if you’re 50 minutes away they’ll discard your application straightaway! So frustrating!!!!
 

Bandit_David

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
25
Location
Lancashire
Hi all,
Just received this email today:
"Thank you for your application for the Driver Blackpool role. We can confirm your application has met the shortlisting criteria.
The recruitment for this vacancy has been placed on hold, therefore there will be no movement on your application at this moment in time. However, this does not mean the vacancy has closed."
Just says they'll be in touch when they have a further update.

Does anyone know how long we'll be waiting as I know there seems to be quite a wait for past applicants...
Sorry to bother, it's only due to me having to give a lengthy notice (To finish at the middle of August, I'd need to put my notice in before Easter time...).
Thanks!
 
Joined
12 Jan 2023
Messages
9
Location
victoria38
Thank you for taking the time to apply for the Driver Blackpool role.



On this occasion, the role you have applied for is no longer available, as we have been successful in filling all available positions. The vacancy is now closed.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Did anyone on here get through to Blackpool or was it filled internally?
 
Last edited:

Chat Moss

Member
Joined
17 Feb 2019
Messages
136
Location
Preston
At least 5 people have passed their psychometrics for this as of last week so this was always going to be filled. We try again next time.
 

Bandit_David

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2023
Messages
25
Location
Lancashire
Thank you for taking the time to apply for the Driver Blackpool role.



On this occasion, the role you have applied for is no longer available, as we have been successful in filling all available positions. The vacancy is now closed.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Did anyone on here get through to Blackpool or was it filled internally?
I had the same email too. Bit gutted after being told you were shortlisted but they must have a lot of applicants along with people who have applied numerous times...
 

BPX

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2019
Messages
24
I had the same email too. Bit gutted after being told you were shortlisted but they must have a lot of applicants along with people who have applied numerous times...
Yeah I don't understand that either, why build hopes up saying you're shortlisted then provide a generic response saying make sure your responses are above the crowd even though you were shortlisted...
 

CheeseNoMayo

Member
Joined
10 May 2022
Messages
60
Location
Yorkshire
Does anyone know of a contact email for the Northern recruiting team please? Heard nothing more about my application for York from before Christmas than the usual “your application is under consideration” and “we appreciate your patience” so I’d like to see if I can drop them an email to see if there’s any actual updates! Cheers
 

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
Does anyone know of a contact email for the Northern recruiting team please? Heard nothing more about my application for York from before Christmas than the usual “your application is under consideration” and “we appreciate your patience” so I’d like to see if I can drop them an email to see if there’s any actual updates! Cheers

hr@northernrailway.co.uk
 

CheeseNoMayo

Member
Joined
10 May 2022
Messages
60
Location
Yorkshire
Hi all, I had an interview yesterday for the positions at York! Has anyone else got their interviews scheduled for this next week? Good luck everyone
 

Fozzzy

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2022
Messages
7
Location
UK
Hi all, I had an interview yesterday for the positions at York! Has anyone else got their interviews scheduled for this next week? Good luck everyone
Did you do your first stage psych’s as well or just your interview? I read on another thread someone did both on the same day, just wondered if that’s how northern are doing it now. Thanks
 

16.19

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2020
Messages
182
Location
Leeds
I’m actually starting to wonder if there’s any point applying for these positions! I’ve applied twice in last 18 months to Skipton, received an email today stating the position I have applied for is no longer available and has been withdrawn from their hiring plans. Second time this has happened. And to apply for other places you have to totally redo your application, that’s if you live within 45 minutes of said station, if you’re 50 minutes away they’ll discard your application straightaway! So frustrating!!!!
I know people who have been applying for years and years to get in and have been unlucky at different stages.

Skipton is a very small satellite depot, you’ve a much better chance of joining Leeds (if it’s possible for you) than Skipton or other small depots
 

CheeseNoMayo

Member
Joined
10 May 2022
Messages
60
Location
Yorkshire
Did you do your first stage psych’s as well or just your interview? I read on another thread someone did both on the same day, just wondered if that’s how northern are doing it now. Thanks
No, it was just the interview with a DTM and a HR recruitment woman. Next stage will be psychometrics
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top