• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Drivers - York/Blackpool/Skipton (22/12/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

16.19

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2020
Messages
182
Location
Leeds
Live now!

Good luck


Blackpool
Salary details: £22,634 per annum during training - approx 12 months
Rising to £43,198 in Year 1
Rising to £47,413 in Year 2
Rising to £54,500 in Year 3 onwards.

*These are for positions forecasted Autumn 2022 onwards


Our 2 year Driver Training Apprenticeship Programme comes with a permanent role and an opportunity to play your part in our brand-new future.

York
Salary: £23,576 per annum rising to £40,738 per annum on completion of training (approx 12 months) and rising to £44,952 in Year 2 of driving then rising to £54,500 when fully qualified

Our 2 year Driver Training Apprenticeship Programme comes with a permanent role and an opportunity to play your part in our brand-new future.

At Northern, we’re creating a brand-new future. Not just for our organisation, but one that will transform the way we all think about rail travel. And if you’re smart, forward thinking, passionate and full of fresh ideas like we are, you could play your part in making it happen.

We recently launched our £500m fleet of new, state-of-the-art trains and we’re investing millions more in our existing fleet of trains and on station improvements. All so we can continue to connect thousands of people across the North to work, leisure, education and more every day. Our vision is all about taking them in an exciting new direction, delivering a different kind of travel experience, and introducing new ways of working.

Skipton
Salary: £23,576 per annum rising to £40,738 per annum on completion of training (approx 12 months) and rising to £44,952 in Year 2 of driving then rising to £54,500 when fully qualified

Our 2 year Driver Training Apprenticeship Programme comes with a permanent role and an opportunity to play your part in our brand-new future.

At Northern, we’re creating a brand-new future. Not just for our organisation, but one that will transform the way we all think about rail travel. And if you’re smart, forward thinking, passionate and full of fresh ideas like we are, you could play your part in making it happen.

We recently launched our £500m fleet of new, state-of-the-art trains and we’re investing millions more in our existing fleet of trains and on station improvements. All so we can continue to connect thousands of people across the North to work, leisure, education and more every day. Our vision is all about taking them in an exciting new direction, delivering a different kind of travel experience, and introducing new ways of working.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BPX

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2019
Messages
24
Anything to look out for with regards to assessments and interviews. Bog standard across every TOC I'm assuming?
 

Barlos1973

Member
Joined
6 Nov 2022
Messages
35
Location
Sheffield
If you fail interview, do you have to wait for 6 months. Bit confused as when contacted HR they said it would be fine, but when I got my feedback it stated apply again in 6 months. Or is that to a specific post?
 

BPX

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2019
Messages
24
If you fail interview, do you have to wait for 6 months. Bit confused as when contacted HR they said it would be fine, but when I got my feedback it stated apply again in 6 months. Or is that to a specific post?
Specific to TOC most likely, but usually industry standard it's if you fail the psychometrics at any TOC you have to wait 6mths before you can apply again I believe.

That's all I know about it. But would be interesting to know if I end up having 1 at XC and 1 at Northern, what would happen if I fail the XC one but then get a later assessment with Northern?
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,896
That's all I know about it. But would be interesting to know if I end up having 1 at XC and 1 at Northern, what would happen if I fail the XC one but then get a later assessment with Northern?
You won't be allowed to do the later one with Northern unless it's over 6 months since your failed XC attempt. It's all recorded on a centralised register (which is how the 2 strikes rule is enforced).
 

BPX

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2019
Messages
24
You won't be allowed to do the later one with Northern unless it's over 6 months since your failed XC attempt. It's all recorded on a centralised register (which is how the 2 strikes rule is enforced).

Just one other thing, I've done plenty of SCAAT/RAAT tests with a load of tramway operators, are there any differences between the two? Metrolink's LRT assessment included the gauge test too. I've noticed also that Northern interview before doing the assessment, is that right?
 

Clarets

New Member
Joined
2 Jan 2023
Messages
2
Location
Accrington
Live now!

Good luck


Blackpool


York


Skipton
Anyone know why the starting salary is different at Blackpool compared to York and Skipton?

I’ve just applied for the Blackburn vacancy and that’s advertised as the lower salary. I’m not sure if it’s a HR error or if the salaries are actually different per station.
 

jord4774

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2018
Messages
5
Anyone know why the starting salary is different at Blackpool compared to York and Skipton?

I’ve just applied for the Blackburn vacancy and that’s advertised as the lower salary. I’m not sure if it’s a HR error or if the salaries are actually different per station.
Different T&Cs basically - Blackburn under West side T&C's - York and Skipton under the Eastern ones.
 

Orange08

Member
Joined
4 Apr 2020
Messages
44
Location
Uk
Sorry to hijack this thread…is there anyone who is currently or has recently gone through driver training with Northern? Preferably on the east side.

Thanks.
 

micker001

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2019
Messages
56
Location
Preston
I applied for Blackpool last year. Then didn't get through the application stage, so I thought that must be it. Then they advertise again. Why didn't they just go back to the previous applications and move through them. I'll try again of course I'm just wondering how bad my form must have been to get knocked back.
 

cebz9

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2019
Messages
47
Location
leicester
Congratulations!

What were the available courses do you know? When did you apply?
There are courses every month. I am under the impression that it is one month for west then one month for east and so on. Although the training centres are not at the same place for east and west depots

I applied not too long ago, I think I submitted my application in the final few days of october. It was a very quick process. I found out that I was successful on the day of the psychometrics assessment; and was offered a start date at the same time too.
 

Lilla

Member
Joined
26 Oct 2021
Messages
40
Location
London
Interesting, been in a talent pool since the end of October for York but haven’t heard a beep. I guess they will say something eventually :D
 

CheeseNoMayo

Member
Joined
10 May 2022
Messages
60
Location
Yorkshire
Has anyone heard anything back since their initial application? I applied when the advert came out and not heard a peep yet! I appreciate that the HR/recruitment team will have had time off over the festive period!
 

micker001

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2019
Messages
56
Location
Preston
Has anyone heard anything back since their initial application? I applied when the advert came out and not heard a peep yet! I appreciate that the HR/recruitment team will have had time off over the festive period!
I got an email saying it is being screened and under consideration. It will take a few months now to hear anything else.
 

BPX

Member
Joined
4 Jul 2019
Messages
24
Anyone know why the starting salary is different at Blackpool compared to York and Skipton?

I’ve just applied for the Blackburn vacancy and that’s advertised as the lower salary. I’m not sure if it’s a HR error or if the salaries are actually different per station.

Local economy. Blackpool is very poor, lower wages due to cheaper cost of living (rent/housing).

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I got an email saying it is being screened and under consideration. It will take a few months now to hear anything else.

Same. I also completed the Cross Country Trains RAAT online email test, but that was almost a month ago now and still nothing from them either.
 

737egnh

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2021
Messages
32
Location
The North
The economy has nothing to do with that. It’s the difference in contracts between the east & west side depots. Blackpool drivers starting salary is the same as Manchester or Liverpool depots, unless you’re internal.
 

507020

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2021
Messages
1,983
Location
Southport
Different T&Cs basically - Blackburn under West side T&C's - York and Skipton under the Eastern ones.
The economy has nothing to do with that. It’s the difference in contracts between the east & west side depots. Blackpool drivers starting salary is the same as Manchester or Liverpool depots, unless you’re internal.
I have a few questions.

1. Why do the east and west sides still have different terms and conditions, especially for new starters?

2.1. Are they recruiting drivers “off the street” as it were or do they have to be employed as guards etc first?

2.2. What does internal mean? And

2.3. Have I just answered my own question?

3.1. How much use of the Monk Breton branch (former Midland Main Line) is there on the east side? And

3.2. Does the west side use it at all?
 

flynnyyy

New Member
Joined
12 Jan 2023
Messages
1
Location
Bradford
Evening all. First post! I've just applied for the Skipton role. Can anyone shed any light on the shifts? I've searched all over and can't track down any that are specific to Northern. I've heard some do a week of earlies then a week of lates. Others seem to be completely random! Cheers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top