• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Train Driver Apprentice - Leeds, York, Sheffield (23/12/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
Just got the generic email about my application being considered and is being screened.

Anyone else progressed to this yet?
 

Raikkonen7

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
95
Just got the generic email about my application being considered and is being screened.

Anyone else progressed to this yet?
Just got the generic email about my application being considered and is being screened.

Anyone else progressed to this yet?
Yep, I just got that. I applied for a driver’s position at Hull the last time they advertised. I got an offer for interview about 2 weeks after receiving the email we received today.
 

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
I'm still waiting on mine :( When did you apply? I sent in my application on Christmas morning - hoping this will be a nice Christmas present from Northern. :)
 

Raikkonen7

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
95
I'm still waiting on mine :( When did you apply? I sent in my application on Christmas morning - hoping this will be a nice Christmas present from Northern. :)
I sent mine Christmas Eve. I could be wrong but everyone should receive today’ s email which is basically saying that all applications are now being screened. So I wouldn’t worry about it :)
 

chrisbt

New Member
Joined
11 Jan 2022
Messages
1
Location
Sheffield
Hi all. I've just applied for Sheffield, think i've had the generic email today that everyone got. What would be the next stage in the process, is it psychometric assessments or interviews? good luck all!
 

Legion

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2021
Messages
20
Location
Preston
I sent mine Christmas Eve. I could be wrong but everyone should receive today’ s email which is basically saying that all applications are now being screened. So I wouldn’t worry about it :)
Nothing here yet. Also sent mine Christmas eve.
 

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
Hi all. I've just applied for Sheffield, think i've had the generic email today that everyone got. What would be the next stage in the process, is it psychometric assessments or interviews? good luck all!

I believe that will be the email that you receive after your application is received. I'm guessing that the email others are referring to are those that submitted their applications around a fortnight ago and haven't heard anything yet so it's just a reassurance email to let you know that whilst they are taking their time they are reviewing applications.

Don't quote me on this but I believe next would be an invitation to psychometric assessments first before sending you to the interview stage. Following that then I believe it's vetting a medical.

However, if I'm wrong I'm fairly certain that somebody will correct me. :D
 

Raikkonen7

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2019
Messages
95
I believe they’ll shortlist you for an interview with a Driver Manager and then you’ll be put forward for psychometric tests if you’re successful.
 

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
Previously for me it's been between 4-8 weeks and they binned me on the last one which is naturally soul destroying after that amount of time.
 

Lioness

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2021
Messages
10
Location
North East
I have waited 9 months previously at another depot, pretty gut wrenching. Hope it’s quicker for you all this time around, good luck
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
On the last lone it was 4 weeks before contact. Positions were withdrawn though due to covid.
 

TreacleMiller

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2020
Messages
537
Location
-
I had the same email on the 11th. I applied about an hour before the deadline (A happy new year indeed).

Wonder how they are ordering applications give you will have applied earlier than me?
 

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
I had the same email on the 11th. I applied about an hour before the deadline (A happy new year indeed).

Wonder how they are ordering applications give you will have applied earlier than me?
I suspect that the email that we have received will have been an automated one. With them just sending them out at various stages.

In terms of ordering them I also suspect if it's anything like what I had to do when previously working in HR (a long time ago) they will use pre-screening software to remove anyone that doesn't have the qualities they are looking for, for instance, blank or low wordcount competency stages, failed the psychometric testing and applying before the 6 month rule, remove the candidates with the lowest grades to keep a uniformity etc.

Once they have a number of applications that they consider what they are 'looking for' they will then start reviewing the applications. I would like to think in order of date of application but in truth, I think it will just be whichever they come to first.
 

Legion

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2021
Messages
20
Location
Preston
I suspect that the email that we have received will have been an automated one. With them just sending them out at various stages.

In terms of ordering them I also suspect if it's anything like what I had to do when previously working in HR (a long time ago) they will use pre-screening software to remove anyone that doesn't have the qualities they are looking for, for instance, blank or low wordcount competency stages, failed the psychometric testing and applying before the 6 month rule, remove the candidates with the lowest grades to keep a uniformity etc.

Once they have a number of applications that they consider what they are 'looking for' they will then start reviewing the applications. I would like to think in order of date of application but in truth, I think it will just be whichever they come to first.
Maybe I am just being naive but I thought that an actual person would check most applications. Got to admit that I didn't think of pre-screening software. Assuming of course that the algorithm is there to only disregard applications with the optional questions unanswered. Then if a person goes through the applications giving priority to those with health/safety experience and academic qualifications, then it shouldn't take that long to narrow it down to a more reasonable number?
 
Last edited:

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds
Maybe I am just being naive but I thought that an actual person would check most applications. Got to admit that I didn't think of pre-screening software. Assuming of course that the algorithm is there to only disregard applications with the optional questions unanswered. Then if a person goes through the applications giving priority to those with health/safety experience and academic qualifications, then it shouldn't take that long to narrow it down to a more reasonable number?
There may very well be somebody reviewing the applications, however, given that they get thousands at a time for less than 20 jobs, I'd find it hard to believe that they don't pre-screen first. They already pre-screened you just as you were starting their application asking if you had previously applied and failed or whether you were more than 45 minutes from your home depot etc.

I would imagine that even with the optimal experiences you're still looking at about 800-1000 applications, that likely won't include those already working for Northern too who I would likely think would be given priority as it's less of a cost for the company to promote from within than somebody from the outside. Kind of gives you a perspective of how difficult it is to actually get a job with them.
 

MPE

Member
Joined
7 May 2020
Messages
39
Location
Leeds
My partner works for HR not for Northern but a company that does engineering for the railway so I would imagine it’s similar. she was saying it will be a software they use that will look for key words key skills to narrow it down to people who A understand the role and B understand the company’s vision etc. Once that software had got rid of some it will eventually be looked at by a person
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,898
that likely won't include those already working for Northern too who I would likely think would be given priority as it's less of a cost for the company to promote from within than somebody from the outside
Not entirely true - as if you recruit internally you need to give that candidate full training, and give training to whoever replaces them in their original role. An external candidate only means one person needing training. Not to mention that internal applicants retain their original salary whereas external applicants start on the lower rate. Basically what I'm saying is don't assume you have a lower priority compared to internal applicants.
 

mattquk

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2021
Messages
5
Location
Sheffield
There may very well be somebody reviewing the applications, however, given that they get thousands at a time for less than 20 jobs, I'd find it hard to believe that they don't pre-screen first. They already pre-screened you just as you were starting their application asking if you had previously applied and failed or whether you were more than 45 minutes from your home depot etc.

I would imagine that even with the optimal experiences you're still looking at about 800-1000 applications, that likely won't include those already working for Northern too who I would likely think would be given priority as it's less of a cost for the company to promote from within than somebody from the outside. Kind of gives you a perspective of how difficult it is to actually get a job with them.
Not helpful to make such assumptions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I suspect that the email that we have received will have been an automated one. With them just sending them out at various stages.

In terms of ordering them I also suspect if it's anything like what I had to do when previously working in HR (a long time ago) they will use pre-screening software to remove anyone that doesn't have the qualities they are looking for, for instance, blank or low wordcount competency stages, failed the psychometric testing and applying before the 6 month rule, remove the candidates with the lowest grades to keep a uniformity etc.

Once they have a number of applications that they consider what they are 'looking for' they will then start reviewing the applications. I would like to think in order of date of application but in truth, I think it will just be whichever they come to first.
“Suspecting” also isn’t helpful
 

16.19

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2020
Messages
182
Location
Leeds
There may very well be somebody reviewing the applications, however, given that they get thousands at a time for less than 20 jobs, I'd find it hard to believe that they don't pre-screen first. They already pre-screened you just as you were starting their application asking if you had previously applied and failed or whether you were more than 45 minutes from your home depot etc.

I would imagine that even with the optimal experiences you're still looking at about 800-1000 applications, that likely won't include those already working for Northern too who I would likely think would be given priority as it's less of a cost for the company to promote from within than somebody from the outside. Kind of gives you a perspective of how difficult it is to actually get a job with them.
Internal and external are two seperate recruitment processes at Northern. An internal applicant doesn't take a spot from an external. The only difference comes when you have an external and internal trainee driver; the internal will be 'senior' to the external in regards to link progression.
 
Last edited:

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
Not helpful to make such assumptions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


“Suspecting” also isn’t helpful
‘Not helpful’ to who? In what way is this information not helpful?? Not only is this very likely true, that the big employers need to sift the applications initially with some sort of software, as with sometimes thousands of applications, how else could they do it. So with Newapplicant letting others like yourself know this information is actually helpful for future applications. Spending some time reading around this forum will arm you with all sorts of helpful advice regarding all facets of railway recruitment, and knowing that a piece of software may be the first thing to see your application may make you reword it somewhat to pass the initial sift. IMO.
 

Newapplicant

Member
Joined
21 May 2018
Messages
135
Location
Leeds

Not helpful to make such assumptions.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


“Suspecting” also isn’t helpful

Sorry to hear that you're disappointed with my post.

I will preface this post with 'I cannot say that this is something that Northern will do however I think it is very very likely. You can read into that as you will, we are on a forum after all.

However, the information is useful despite you not feeling that it is. When I worked for a HR company and this was 10 years ago, they were using software to sift applications for jobs that had 100 applicants, so do you really believe that a role that will attract thousands at a time will have somebody sat at a desk going through each application. They won't, I can assure you of that. The software we previously used looked for a number of factors such as keywords, academic qualifications and to ensure the application form was actually completed. Anyone who didn't meet the criteria was then placed into a pile for somebody to review and they would then be seen on a case by case basis, whereas those who had what we were looking for were placed into another pile and would be assessed and invited to the next stages.

Regarding the external vs internal candidates, this has happened where I work which is for a large organisation so I hold my hands up if this is incorrect.

The email that candidates have received who've been waiting approx 3-4 weeks for a reply IS an automated one, I don't suspect this to be the case I KNOW this to be the case.

Anyway, best of luck with your application.
 

sheffBlue

Member
Joined
27 Nov 2018
Messages
10
Looks like they are starting to send out invites for interviews, just had email inviting me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top