• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Steam services on the Settle and Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Having travelled on the 1715 last night I've got to say that it was extremely well managed and a good cooperation between the DBS guard and the Northern management that were running the show. I hope loco hauled services could be a regular thing whether it be steam, classic diesel or just modern diesel using carriages that are suited to such a scenic railway
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Having travelled on the 1715 last night I've got to say that it was extremely well managed and a good cooperation between the DBS guard and the Northern management that were running the show. I hope loco hauled services could be a regular thing whether it be steam, classic diesel or just modern diesel using carriages that are suited to such a scenic railway

I agree about using better carriages for such a scenic railway. It would be nice to have something between the normal Northen dmu stock that is cramped (often with bad leg room) with often dirty windows and a full blown and pretty expensive rail tour.

I was on the WHL between Glasgow and Oban the other day and the 156? was worn out inside and I thought how much better it would be if there was some decent stock for regular services which was more comfortable.
 

mushroomchow

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2017
Messages
455
Location
Where HSTs Still Scream. Kind of.
Any news on loadings today? Would be interested to know if the scenes at Skipton on the quarter to 11 were repeated today or not.

I agree about using better carriages for such a scenic railway. It would be nice to have something between the normal Northen dmu stock that is cramped (often with bad leg room) with often dirty windows and a full blown and pretty expensive rail tour.

I was on the WHL between Glasgow and Oban the other day and the 156? was worn out inside and I thought how much better it would be if there was some decent stock for regular services which was more comfortable.

I'm inclined to agree - after my ride yesterday I've caught the S&C 'bug' and would love to take me dear old Mum on a hiking holiday there, but after yesterday's ride having to do the same route in a Sprinter is going to feel like a massive stepdown. Case in point, I rode the far north line once and while the scenery was lovely, the stock was cramped and dirty which kind of ruined the experience.
 

HowMuch?

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
159
I've caught the S&C 'bug' and would love to take me dear old Mum on a hiking holiday there.


I agree. No finer area in the world for walking. Wainwright's Coast to Coast goes through Kirkby Stephen, and the Dales Way goes near Ribblehead and Dent. There's plenty of accommodation in KS, and the Ribblehead Inn has rooms. Even one or two of the stations have holiday lets,

Just over the hill from KS (you can see the 'Nine Standards' on the skylne from the railway) you are in Keld in Swaledale (beautiful) or the Tan Hill in offers rooms in the highest pub in England (if you are lucky, you get snowed in for a few days!).

Lots of lovely easy walking just toddling up and down the Eden valley.
 

mike57

Established Member
Joined
13 Mar 2015
Messages
2,403
Location
East coast of Yorkshire
Traveled from Appleby - Skipton on the 8.25 this morning. Things were well organised, in spite of crowds. Weather could have been better, but it is mid February. Got some picture, and enjoyed steam haulage and the scenery. In all a good day for a minimal outlay.

I walked from Skipton station out towards the Canal to get pictures of the return steam hauled trip, Wind was carrying steam to my side of the train, so photo opportunities were not as good as if I had found a different spot, but I didnt have a lot of time, only just made it back to Skipton in time for the 11.26 all stations.

Skipton was very crowded, but well organised, Pictures attached to answer earlier post question.

Other pictures on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/135539989@N05/
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0822a.JPG
    DSC_0822a.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0823a.JPG
    DSC_0823a.JPG
    336.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,419
Location
Yorks
I'm glad it all went well.

Hopefully we'll see more of the like in the future, including vintage diesel and electric traction.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
Today's 1044 ran 12 late (ignore RTT) - a combination of a late shunt from 2 to 3 and insufficient time for boarding.
The return was 15 late, insufficient time allowed at Appleby, compounded by a number of less able people being helped over the bridge and a brief emergency stop (aka full service brake application, I believe) somewhere around Crosby Garrett.
Delay (and weather) apart, the operation seemed to work very well, though I hate to think what the staffing costs were.
The stock was in good nick, but I agree that AC is not ideal as it blanks out the loco noise.
The final train left Skipton RT.
 
Last edited:

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
I agree about the train ( 67039, Tornado and rolling stock ) leaving S&C for Doncaster is http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54848/2017/02/16/advanced

I did see the train with the diesel leading, then Tornado going backwards, followed by support coach and carriages.

I would like to use the S&C again when its fully reopened in the first week in April, but looking at the times on National Rail website it still implies Rail replacement coaches are still being used. Surely this will put people off if they do not accept thats its being reopened on March 31st .

Im pleased about all the good publicity the line has had, but would not want potentail passengers let down .So lets have a proper timetable for April, please ????
 

Houghj40

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2017
Messages
16
Location
Macclesfield/Keighley
"and a brief emergency stop (aka full service brake application, I believe) somewhere around Crosby Garrett."


Someone working on the train posted the emergency stop was due to setting fire to the embankment. That must have taken some doing after all the rain in the last few weeks!
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I was very tempted to go on the service, travelling there from London. However, I only had time to go on the evening service from Skipton, so I had to give it a miss, as the +9 at Appleby for the last train south was too risky. Yes it is possible to get back to London the same evening if I made it!
(Just realised I could have used it as an excuse to quickly visit a friend who has moved to Edinburgh :lol: although I'm seeing him in 3 weeks anyway)
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
The service train could be held for upto 10-15 mins to bring people back after the last run to Appleby as northern knew quite a few people would want it and it was strengthened to a 4 car as well
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I agree about using better carriages for such a scenic railway. It would be nice to have something between the normal Northen dmu stock that is cramped (often with bad leg room) with often dirty windows and a full blown and pretty expensive rail tour.

I was on the WHL between Glasgow and Oban the other day and the 156? was worn out inside and I thought how much better it would be if there was some decent stock for regular services which was more comfortable.

I agree, I have been on the Glasgow to Oban and also Glasgow to Fort William/Mallaig services along with Inverness to Kyle and Wick and they were all two coach 156 units as have been some of the trains I have been on from Leeds to Carlisle. All of these have been very busy and crowded. One time when travelling from Wick to Inverness all seats had been booked by coach parties, the only unbooked part was in the first class section and the guard let me sit there.

So all all these scenic lines and also the Cumbrian Coast, could 159 three car sets be used, or 2 x 158s, or a 159+158, thus giving longer trains with more seats?
 
Last edited:

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
So all all these scenic lines and also the Cumbrian Coast, could 159 three car sets be used, or 2 x 158s, or a 159+158, thus giving longer trains with more seats?
Settle - Carlisle services typically are formed of 2 or 4 carriage class 158 formations (and 3-car trains formed of a 2-car class 158 strengthened with a 153), and within the next couple of years West Highland services will begin to be worked by 2, 4 and, assuming that workings are as I remember them, 6 carriage formations (as far as Crianlarich) of refurbished class 158 units.

Services currently worked by class 158 units on the Kyle and Far North lines are expected to remain as 2-car formations as far as I am aware: It's a shame that Scotrail's class 158 fleet does not seem large enough to permit their refurbished 'scenic trains' to operate as three carriage 'hybrid' units on all Highland routes in the future (As was done with the West Highland 156s for a couple of summers in the early - mid nineties).

It is to be hoped that the arrival of Northern's class 195 fleet might permit their large class 158 fleet to be used to further strengthen remaining class 158 services such as those on the S&C, and the use of class 158 units on the Cumbrian Coast, again preferably in 3 or 4 carriage formation, would certainly be welcome. As you note, if the South West franchise winner chooses to procure new diesel stock, the release of a large number of well maintained class 158 and 159 units, the latter all 3-car trains, could be a game changer in terms of capacity on other provincial routes around Britain.
 
Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I did the evening trip from Skipton to Settle last night. I'd booked a ticket and reserved a seat last weekend, but I needn't have bothered. As my callocated coach was the furthest away from 60163, I sat elswhere (in the second public coach) - myself and a mate had a bay of 4 to ourselves, and on theopposite bay there were only 3 people. Plenty of room throughout the train, and I think when it left Settle, it was probably only half full. Good atmosphere on board, and it did feel a bit strange travelling on that route behind steam sat in the type of coaches which I'd travelled over the same line behind tnt 37s many times a few years ago.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,578
Location
Macclesfield
Good atmosphere on board, and it did feel a bit strange travelling on that route behind steam sat in the type of coaches which I'd travelled over the same line behind tnt 37s many times a few years ago.
Yes, it did seem a bit incongruous travelling behind steam in air-conditioned stock of the type currently in daily service on the Cumbrian coast and, as you say, previously in use on the S&C with 37s a little over a decade ago. The trip was also much akin to the journey I made over the route on the 37 hauled "Cumbrian Crusader IV" railtour in 2011, even down to the provenance of the stock used as I recall, as well as the consumption of ale and genial conversation with fellow passengers.

Of course, things will seem even stranger once 'Tornado' has it's own dedicated rake of fully refurbished mark 3 stock fitted with all mod cons. Though stranger still to consider that the locomotive is considerably younger than the comparatively modern seeming stock that it finds itself hauling!
 
Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
One time when travelling from Wick to Inverness all seats had been booked by coach parties, the only unbooked part was in the first class section and the guard let me sit there.

I've noticed that on the s&c between carlisle and Leeds a couple of times when walking groups have blocked booked pretty much a whole coach and everyone else having to squeeze into the remaining coach. It spoils it a bit for me as I find the leg room really constricting and makes for a uncomfortable longish journey.
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
Coach companies also book a block of reservations but usually on the 1049 Leeds to Carlisle between Settle and Appleby or Carlisle but this train is usually a 4 car so can take ot
 

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
I was also on the same 2 trains yesterday as 30907 in #307. Yes it was nearer 11am departing Skipton , never mind what RTT says. Probably due to the sheer number of people on Skipton station. Including those arriving on the EMUs from Leeds .
They had to slowly let on passengers for unreserved seats. Making allowances for those not so mobile as the rest of us. Had a window seat both ways, nice to see so many people watching the train go by at stations on the way ; including lots and lots of cars on the roads around Ribblehead Viaduct. Northern staff were very helpful.A big thank you to them and the Settle & Carlisle volunteer helpers. Apparently the shops in Appleby were made aware of train loads of potential customers arriving on the 3 days. Obviously good business for take aways and pubs !! Appleby and Skipton must be a lot quieter today Friday !!
No doubt when all the info and figures are in , Northern will decide if its possible to do it again maybe to Carlisle where they can turn a loco in the triangle,the one disappointment for me was Tornado having to run backwards going south to Skipton x
 
Last edited:

robbeale

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2016
Messages
52
I heard a Northern employee say that the reason Tornado did Appleby to Skipton rather than wait until the line fully re-opened was because she would need to take on water if continuing on to Carlisle whereas she could make the shorter run on one fill. Also, when open fully, with more freight, timings would be harder to find. I do hope it goes ahead again, but I think it's more likely we may see the DRS 37'S on specials on the S&C once they're not needed on the coast line. Here's hoping anyway!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
The service train could be held for upto 10-15 mins to bring people back after the last run to Appleby as northern knew quite a few people would want it and it was strengthened to a 4 car as well
Looks like it was indeed held yesterday (Tornado arrived 7L), and I'd have had no problem getting back to London. Oh well! :lol:
 

Fuzzytop

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
306
I did the evening trip from Skipton to Settle last night. I'd booked a ticket and reserved a seat last weekend, but I needn't have bothered. As my callocated coach was the furthest away from 60163, I sat elswhere (in the second public coach) - myself and a mate had a bay of 4 to ourselves, and on theopposite bay there were only 3 people. Plenty of room throughout the train, and I think when it left Settle, it was probably only half full. Good atmosphere on board, and it did feel a bit strange travelling on that route behind steam sat in the type of coaches which I'd travelled over the same line behind tnt 37s many times a few years ago.

I made the same journey as theblackwatch last night - Skipton to Settle. Well worth it, even for so short a journey. Though by the end of the journey there must have been more folks in high-vis than actual passengers... :p
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
I heard a Northern employee say that the reason Tornado did Appleby to Skipton rather than wait until the line fully re-opened was because she would need to take on water if continuing on to Carlisle whereas she could make the shorter run on one fill. Also, when open fully, with more freight, timings would be harder to find. I do hope it goes ahead again, but I think it's more likely we may see the DRS 37'S on specials on the S&C once they're not needed on the coast line. Here's hoping anyway!

It did Appleby to Skipton at this time of year to say we're still open and will be open fully on 31st March. It was a big advert for long term gain over the summer with the hope of reaping the benefits and revenue long term. And it had to start at Appleby because there's no where to store or water it at Skipton
 

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
I made the same journey as theblackwatch last night - Skipton to Settle. Well worth it, even for so short a journey. Though by the end of the journey there must have been more folks in high-vis than actual passengers... :p

I did Skipton to Appleby on the last trip. Plenty of people made it. Plenty more passengers than hi vis. The unit had to be held to allow northern staff to travel home on it. If it'd been allowed to go there would have been a lot of angry staff and customers....
 

crehld

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2014
Messages
1,994
Location
Norfolk
Well I had an enjoyable trip on Tuesday. Really good atmosphere at the stations and on board. the 1044 from Skipton was packed full. The 1457 was busy, but there were a few spare seats in my coach at least. There were a couple of groups of school kids who came to Skipton on Tuesday morning to see the train which was nice.

Northern are reporting that over 5,500 people used the services in total.
 

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2011
Messages
1,449
Well I had an enjoyable trip on Tuesday. .

Likewise for me on the Thursday. I travelled Skipton-Appleby-Skipton-Appleby then caught the extra coach to Carlisle. The 17h15 from Skipton was rather empty in the non-reserved coaches, I had a table to myself (I did have a reserved seat in Coach A but thought that there would be more room near the front, and there was).
I thought all the Northern staff were great, all seemed to be enjoying themselves, did they volunteer for this extra duty? Wonderful to see loads of young schoolchildren on the platform at Skipton being well and truly looked after and entertained by a Northern employee, they seemed to enjoy the friendly wave from a suitably grubby footplateman on 'Tornado'.
...and the crowds at Ribblehead, never seen so many!
Very glad that I made the effort to go.
 
Last edited:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Well I had an enjoyable trip on Tuesday. Really good atmosphere at the stations and on board. the 1044 from Skipton was packed full. The 1457 was busy, but there were a few spare seats in my coach at least. There were a couple of groups of school kids who came to Skipton on Tuesday morning to see the train which was nice.
.......

Nice, but more than just nice. Not because I think it might create a few enthusiasts (great if it does) but because, if the teachers use the opportunity wisely they can use Tornado to help kids get an understanding of science - physics, chemistry and mechanics - along with social and technical history. Plus, of course, local geography. And as a minimum, hopefully - that trains don't have steering wheels :)

It's tremendous to read all the positive reports - thanks to everyone who's been contributing. I've read everything with great interest.
 

1D53

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2006
Messages
2,896
There were plenty of school groups at Appleby and other intermediate stations too who'd come out to see Tornado.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top