• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Steam services on the Settle and Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2012
Messages
2,305
Well since you don't like us talking, then I'll stop. That also means the inside gen from me stops too!

Anyone else feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to provide inside information about it.

Don't let one miserable sod get you down. Many as like myself will never have travelled over the S & C, and would welcome some information about the line! Considering that this service is normal fares then this is a welcome addition!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
Im not familiar with Facebook as mentioned in #13.Can someone please inform me of the relevant link ?Thanks in advance
(Still waiting for info on Northern Trains website, nowt there this week.)
 

robbeale

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2016
Messages
52
The settle Carlisle railway website now has times; http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/tornado-on-the-sc/

Preliminary timings are:

  • Appleby (depart 0830) to Skipton (arrive 1009) calling at Kirkby Stephen, Garsdale, Horton and Settle
  • Skipton (depart 1045) to Appleby (arrive 1216) calling at Settle and Kirkby Stephen
  • Appleby (depart 1507) to Skipton (arrive 1640) calling at Kirkby Stephen and Settle
  • Skipton (depart 1710) to Appleby (arrive 1841) calling at Settle and Kirkby Stephen
These timings can be downloaded and printed here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
Thanks a lot for the link info posted today . Obviously nice to see something 'official' , not that I doubted the original info in #1.
 

djpontrack

Member
Joined
18 Jan 2011
Messages
1,025
Location
Morecambe
I was looking at the times on Realtime Trains earlier for the steam services on 14/02 but they seem to have disappeared now. Only the ECS movements at Appleby are on there now.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Well since you don't like us talking, then I'll stop. That also means the inside gen from me stops too!

Anyone else feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to provide inside information about it.
I'd rather you didn't stop as I find the info on here interesting.

Im waiting to see what the ticket arrangements are before booking anything, in case I book something and then find my ticket isn't valid on the trains.
 

LeylandLen

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2013
Messages
779
Location
Leyland Lancs
In the preliminary timings, she leaves Appleby ( the current northern end of the line ) at 0830. Presume she , and the stock work up ECS that day or maybe the day before? Any place to stable overnight near Appleby ?
 

robbeale

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2016
Messages
52
Could they not keep her in the other platform at Appleby, or at Armathwaite. It is effectively the end of a long siding with no through traffic?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
 

class387

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
1,580
The website now says regarding reservations:
Details have not yet been released about ticket prices and how to buy tickets. It is anticipated that some tickets with reservations will be sold in advance. Holders of rail tickets who do not have a reservation may not be able to board.
Might be a good idea to start keeping a close eye on it.
 

robbeale

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2016
Messages
52
Hopefully be alright on the early run from Appleby. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Although I applaud the overall idea of these 'ordinary specials' (IYSWIM) I do wonder

a) if they are a bit too early in terms of advertising the re-opening of the full S&C - surely a month later would have been more appropriate? and

b) yes, I know this seems a bit churlish, but somehow a bit of me says it's a pity they have not decided to use a Scot or, even better, a Jubilee, as these were indigenous to the line. And in particular, use of a Jubilee would be very fitting, given that it is 50 years ago this year that they were last used on ordinary express trains - across the S@C.

Indeed, the relatively unsung Jubilees were the last three-cylindered express steam locomotives to work in Britain in normal service conditions - you could argue that that is largely the result of geography-happenstance, but it is a feather in the cap of the Stanier 5X.
 
Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,488
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Although I applaud the overall idea of these 'ordinary specials' (IYSWIM) I do wonder

a) if they are a bit too early in terms of advertising the re-opening of the full S&C - surely a month later would have been more appropriate? and

b) yes, I know this seems a bit churlish, but somehow a bit of me says it's a pity they have not decided to use a Scot or, even better, a Jubilee, as these were indigenous to the line. And in particular, use of a Jubilee would be very fitting, given that it is 50 years ago this year that they were last used on ordinary express trains - across the S@C.

Indeed, the relatively unsung Jubilees were the last multi-cylindered express steam locomotives to work in Britain in normal service conditions - you could argue that that is largely the result of geography-happenstance, but it is a feather in the cap of the Stanier 5X.

I don't understand - ALL UK steam locos had at least two cylinders.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
I wonder if they might consider running an all stations service to Appleby as a regular thing if the February trains prove to be a success.
 

Houghj40

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2017
Messages
16
Location
Macclesfield/Keighley
I note the steam service is now up and tickets buyable as per normal services but no option for reservations. Have spoken to my local ticket office and as it is a Northern service they have no idea how to reserve seats. Anyone know more?
 
Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I note the steam service is now up and tickets buyable as per normal services but no option for reservations. Have spoken to my local ticket office and as it is a Northern service they have no idea how to reserve seats. Anyone know more?

Northern staff had been promised that a briefing on tickets and reservations for these services would be sent out early this week, but as yet there is nothing.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I note the steam service is now up and tickets buyable as per normal services but no option for reservations. Have spoken to my local ticket office and as it is a Northern service they have no idea how to reserve seats. Anyone know more?
Does anyone know if it's possible to get an advanced purchase ticket from Kings Cross to Carlisle via Settle that will allow travel the steam service? I can find services that would connect with it but not certain if it would be possible to get a reservation for the train itself, as part of the average purchase ticket.

I'd hate to buy a ticket only to find I must travel on a DMU all the way to Carlisle.
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
If I put London to Appleby the 7.35 comes up but theirs no advanced purchase tickets available and the price is £130.50. Advanced purchase tickets exist for trains either side of that.

If put in Skipton I can get an advanced purchase ticket so the issue seems to be the steam part of the service is not currently being allowed for advanced purchase tickets.

If I put Carlisle as my destination then even going via Settle doesn't bring up this service.
 

46223

Member
Joined
12 May 2013
Messages
100
Location
Lancashire
If I put London to Appleby the 7.35 comes up but theirs no advanced purchase tickets available and the price is £130.50. Advanced purchase tickets exist for trains either side of that.

If put in Skipton I can get an advanced purchase ticket so the issue seems to be the steam part of the service is not currently being allowed for advanced purchase tickets.

If I put Carlisle as my destination then even going via Settle doesn't bring up this service.

Don't forget the line is not due to open through to Carlisle until the end of March.
 

class387

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
1,580
When I run a search in the VTEC website for the steam service it says 'reservations possible' on the train, but when I get to seat reservation it tells me that the service is full. Is this the case?
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Don't forget the line is not due to open through to Carlisle until the end of March.
Thanks for the warning. As it so happens I'm aware of that.

Whilst I'm doing the journey to travel on the steam train, I only want to make the journey if I can use a regular through ticket as I like the idea of reaching my destination using a regular train ticket, where part of the journey is hauled by steam. However I can't justify the full price anytime single, which at this stage would allow me to do that provided I got a free separate reservation.

Hence I'd like to do it with an advanced ticket if such a thing will be possible.

It seems reservations aren't available yet so it's not possible.

It seems that Northern staff will be briefed. Hopefully it will be fairly straight forward to get reservations if not living in a Northern area.
 
Last edited:

Houghj40

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2017
Messages
16
Location
Macclesfield/Keighley
I don't think the steam service links with the onward bus service to Carlisle so you would have to look at the next DMU service for Carlisle bus link and earlier DMU service for return to bus back to meet the steam train and I am not sure if it will work tbh.
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Ah, I'm with you. The 'Jubilees' only narrowly beat the Bulleids as three cylinder locos in front line service. How many 'Jubilees' survived past July '67?

I honestly can't say for sure. At a guess, I'd say about half a dozen. After the summer extras stopped over the S&C in September? 67 - the number got whittled down slowly until the last one - was it 5562? - was withdrawn in November 67 or so?

I think it is interesting that whoever was in charge in late 66 or early 67 opted to keep the Jubilees in service at Holbeck, as opposed to asking for 2-cylinder Brits, which surely were spare and could have been transferred there and in theory, would have had lower maintenance costs. Whoever that manager was must have believed the Jubilees were the better choice of motive power. Rational, or just emotional? I suppose we shall never know.
 

class387

Established Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
1,580
Even though the website now says that reservations have started, on Northern it still says "reservations not available". What does that mean? Is the train full?
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
I don't think the steam service links with the onward bus service to Carlisle so you would have to look at the next DMU service for Carlisle bus link and earlier DMU service for return to bus back to meet the steam train and I am not sure if it will work tbh.
OK thanks for the. Be a shame if it doesn't link to the bus service because it is billed as being a regular train in the timetable to encourage use of the line.
 

robbeale

Member
Joined
14 Jan 2016
Messages
52
Virgin office at Oxenholme just now wouldn't even entertain looking to see if reservations were available because it's a Northern service!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top