• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishtastic

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2018
Messages
19
Yes, they will (when they can say "but there was an opportunity to buy a ticket at your origin station"). Whilst I don't support much of the modern way of doing things, fare evasion in any form is a crime and always has been.

I suspect if they start enforcing that people will start walking across the tracks, it's a few minutes walk from one side to the other.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intercity 225

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2014
Messages
329
I suspect if they start enforcing that people will start walking across the tracks, it's a few minutes walk from one side to the other.

On a similar note, there are some machines that are peculiarly placed to the extent that some customers might not even know they exist.

Meadowhall springs to mind, I ended up in a rather heated discussion with a conductor after I boarded there ticketless one evening due to the ticket office being closed. At the time I had no idea there was a machine outside between Platforms 2 and 3 - I had no reason to walk past it!

After a couple of minutes arguing he did eventually sell me the ticket I wanted at the correct price but I wasn’t happy at all. I didn’t feel his behaviour was quite worthy of making a formal complaint to Northern but I told him outright that his attitude was appalling and that he needed to get better at recognising the difference between honest people and fare evaders.

Thankfully I’ve found most guards on my travels perfectly pleasant though, every industry has a few individuals that let them down.
 

DanTrain

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2017
Messages
753
Location
Sheffield
On a similar note, there are some machines that are peculiarly placed to the extent that some customers might not even know they exist.

Meadowhall springs to mind, I ended up in a rather heated discussion with a conductor after I boarded there ticketless one evening due to the ticket office being closed. At the time I had no idea there was a machine outside between Platforms 2 and 3 - I had no reason to walk past it!

After a couple of minutes arguing he did eventually sell me the ticket I wanted at the correct price but I wasn’t happy at all. I didn’t feel his behaviour was quite worthy of making a formal complaint to Northern but I told him outright that his attitude was appalling and that he needed to get better at recognising the difference between honest people and fare evaders.

Thankfully I’ve found most guards on my travels perfectly pleasant though, every industry has a few individuals that let them down.
I don’t get why they don’t put the ticket machines in the room with the ticket offices at Meadowhell!? Seems like common sense to me...

Glad you got the ticket in the end anyway - but remember all the people who got a free ride to Sheffield because they honestly couldn’t find the machine and the conductor didn’t get round to them!
 

gtis

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
261
Location
darfield sth yorkshire
On a similar note, there are some machines that are peculiarly placed to the extent that some customers might not even know they exist.

Meadowhall springs to mind, I ended up in a rather heated discussion with a conductor after I boarded there ticketless one evening due to the ticket office being closed. At the time I had no idea there was a machine outside between Platforms 2 and 3 - I had no reason to walk past it!

After a couple of minutes arguing he did eventually sell me the ticket I wanted at the correct price but I wasn’t happy at all. I didn’t feel his behaviour was quite worthy of making a formal complaint to Northern but I told him outright that his attitude was appalling and that he needed to get better at recognising the difference between honest people and fare evaders.

Thankfully I’ve found most guards on my travels perfectly pleasant though, every industry has a few individuals that let them down.
I think it’s same at Barnsley the TVM is on the over bridge to the other platform
So people going to Sheffield won’t see it
Neil
 

skifans

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
249
Location
Leeds
Adding another curious feature our machine offers Leeds and Manchester Piccadilly as popular destinations (they are), and then gives 7 day first or standard class season tickets as options. Select either and it takes you to the standard QWERTY keyboard without offering any other instruction. Try again, same result, can't see another course. Another time wasting transaction to delay the next person in the queue.
I just had a go with the ticket machine at Glasshouton and can confirm the same thing happens. However, if you enter any old rubbish and press enter a promt above the keyboard appears asking for your photocard id number. I think the keyboard is therefore correct, what is missing is the prompt.
 

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,500
Location
Sheffield
I just had a go with the ticket machine at Glasshouton and can confirm the same thing happens. However, if you enter any old rubbish and press enter a promt above the keyboard appears asking for your photocard id number. I think the keyboard is therefore correct, what is missing is the prompt.

It was too much to expect it to take a picture and produce a photocard as well:D
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I don’t get why they don’t put the ticket machines in the room with the ticket offices at Meadowhell!? Seems like common sense to me...

Glad you got the ticket in the end anyway - but remember all the people who got a free ride to Sheffield because they honestly couldn’t find the machine and the conductor didn’t get round to them!

So that you can't use the ticket machines when the ticket office is closed? Perfect.
 

marcouk2

Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
189
I think it’s same at Barnsley the TVM is on the over bridge to the other platform
So people going to Sheffield won’t see it
Neil

They've added 2 TVMs on the Sheffield platform now at Barnsley, opposite the ticket office.
 

DanTrain

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2017
Messages
753
Location
Sheffield
So that you can't use the ticket machines when the ticket office is closed? Perfect.
Fair point, but it would be logical to expect to buy your tickets from the place that advertises 'Train tickets and information'. It's worth remembering that a lot of people will be leaving the shopping centre and heading in Sheffield direction, in which case you wouldn't nescessarily know the ticket machine was there (as stated above).
o2503-0000056_thumb.jpg

Photo from National Rail station map.
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Why they hadn't bought a return ticket to Manchester was an unasked question, as was why they were trailing around with their big wheeled cases to do their sightseeing.
Return tickets don’t exist on China Railway – only train-specific singles (like an Advance but the price doesn’t change).
 

thejuggler

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2016
Messages
1,654
A new week, another change to the ticket buying process on the TVM.

Last week it was a three stage process, this morning 6.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,350
Location
Bolton
I just arrived at Mauldeth Road now to travel in 10 minutes time, the ticket machine is frozen on the previous person's transaction and there are no buttons on the screen. I used the help point, which had no effect. I then called the customer relations number and the person who answered had no idea what to do. They asked me if there was a ticket office or another machine (no to both) and then had to put me on hold to find out from a colleague what I should do. Luckily she came back a moment later and said I'd need to take a photo and explain what had happened to the conductor who 'hopefully' would show discretion and sell the appropriate ticket. She also said that I might get a penalty fare but I could use my photo to appeal it and that this conversation would be recorded also. Based on past experience the chances that the guard will actually be coming through the train are near zero I fear. The thing that concerned me most about this was that the status light on top of the machine is green rather than red, despite it obviously being inoperable, and the lady on the phone could not see a fault.

Quite why anyone thinks this kind of nonsense is acceptable I have no idea.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,350
Location
Bolton
I would add that the insistence on taking a photo of the machine when I've called on two occasions now makes me think that guards and other revenue staff don't have access to live / recent history (say, past 2 hours) of TVM status, or if they do it isn't accurate enough. If they did there would be no need to ask the customer to take a picture.
 

urbophile

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2015
Messages
2,482
Location
Liverpool
And what about those technophobes who don't have a mobile phone or digital camera ? I know they are very much in the minority but that is no reason to penalise them. As far as I know the Home Secretary isn't planning to introduce a version of the 'pass laws' which make it compulsory to produce your phone at all times on request.
 

gtis

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
261
Location
darfield sth yorkshire
U
I just arrived at Mauldeth Road now to travel in 10 minutes time, the ticket machine is frozen on the previous person's transaction and there are no buttons on the screen. I used the help point, which had no effect. I then called the customer relations number and the person who answered had no idea what to do. They asked me if there was a ticket office or another machine (no to both) and then had to put me on hold to find out from a colleague what I should do. Luckily she came back a moment later and said I'd need to take a photo and explain what had happened to the conductor who 'hopefully' would show discretion and sell the appropriate ticket. She also said that I might get a penalty fare but I could use my photo to appeal it and that this conversation would be recorded also. Based on past experience the chances that the guard will actually be coming through the train are near zero I fear. The thing that concerned me most about this was that the status light on top of the machine is green rather than red, despite it obviously being inoperable, and the lady on the phone could not see a fault.

Quite why anyone thinks this kind of nonsense is acceptable I have no idea.
Would switching it off work
 

thealexweb

Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
1,106
I just arrived at Mauldeth Road now to travel in 10 minutes time, the ticket machine is frozen on the previous person's transaction and there are no buttons on the screen. I used the help point, which had no effect. I then called the customer relations number and the person who answered had no idea what to do. They asked me if there was a ticket office or another machine (no to both) and then had to put me on hold to find out from a colleague what I should do. Luckily she came back a moment later and said I'd need to take a photo and explain what had happened to the conductor who 'hopefully' would show discretion and sell the appropriate ticket. She also said that I might get a penalty fare but I could use my photo to appeal it and that this conversation would be recorded also. Based on past experience the chances that the guard will actually be coming through the train are near zero I fear. The thing that concerned me most about this was that the status light on top of the machine is green rather than red, despite it obviously being inoperable, and the lady on the phone could not see a fault.

Quite why anyone thinks this kind of nonsense is acceptable I have no idea.

I have considerably less time for railway farces that I used to. These ideas of “hopefully” relying on good will to avoid penalties is nonsense.

In that situation if on-board staff aren’t interested in selling a full range of tickets with all discounts available I would treat that as there has still been no opportunity to buy a ticket.
 

DaveB10780

Member
Joined
10 Sep 2015
Messages
268
Wow we even have a bright shiny machine now at sleepy Furness Vale on the Buxton line. Cards only and won't sell duos or any other non standard tickets.
 

DanTrain

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2017
Messages
753
Location
Sheffield
I just arrived at Mauldeth Road now to travel in 10 minutes time, the ticket machine is frozen on the previous person's transaction and there are no buttons on the screen. I used the help point, which had no effect. I then called the customer relations number and the person who answered had no idea what to do. They asked me if there was a ticket office or another machine (no to both) and then had to put me on hold to find out from a colleague what I should do. Luckily she came back a moment later and said I'd need to take a photo and explain what had happened to the conductor who 'hopefully' would show discretion and sell the appropriate ticket. She also said that I might get a penalty fare but I could use my photo to appeal it and that this conversation would be recorded also. Based on past experience the chances that the guard will actually be coming through the train are near zero I fear. The thing that concerned me most about this was that the status light on top of the machine is green rather than red, despite it obviously being inoperable, and the lady on the phone could not see a fault.

Quite why anyone thinks this kind of nonsense is acceptable I have no idea.
Ridiculous. One I used recently froze when I accidentally clicked ‘collect ticket’. I had to put a card in for it to decide it was broken and return to the main page - no back button whatsoever. I’m beginning to think I could do a better job designing them myself with my very limited coding knowledge! Ameuterish.
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
Machine at Leeds errored and froze when I clicked to pay with card
 

Attachments

  • 74DEE782-75CE-42E2-A050-A7D0C28C6416.jpeg
    74DEE782-75CE-42E2-A050-A7D0C28C6416.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Ridiculous. One I used recently froze when I accidentally clicked ‘collect ticket’. I had to put a card in for it to decide it was broken and return to the main page - no back button whatsoever. I’m beginning to think I could do a better job designing them myself with my very limited coding knowledge! Ameuterish.

If you look at the display on the chip and pin screen there should be the name of some provider they are using on it. If it's blank it won't read your card but the machine doesn't realise that until it gets to the 'insert card' bit.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
If that's Northern policy then Northern need to provide a free camera to all passengers.

And what about those technophobes who don't have a mobile phone or digital camera ? I know they are very much in the minority but that is no reason to penalise them. As far as I know the Home Secretary isn't planning to introduce a version of the 'pass laws' which make it compulsory to produce your phone at all times on request.

What happens in these situations is that passengers use an alternative, verbal interface with the member of train crew assigned to check / sell fares. Something along the lines of "Sorry the ticket machine at (insert name of station here) isn't working so I couldn't buy a ticket. Can I have a (insert required ticket details here)?" seems to work quite well on the first lines that Northern rolled penalty fares & TVMs on.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
What happens in these situations is that passengers use an alternative, verbal interface with the member of train crew assigned to check / sell fares. Something along the lines of "Sorry the ticket machine at (insert name of station here) isn't working so I couldn't buy a ticket. Can I have a (insert required ticket details here)?" seems to work quite well on the first lines that Northern rolled penalty fares & TVMs on.

Surely the Northern employee should be apologising for their machines being faulty, not the other way around.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,350
Location
Bolton
For complete clarity the two people I have spoken to on the phone at have most certainly not apologised when their ticket machine has been out of order. It would have surprised me if they did.

They also said that I could get a Penalty Fare without a photo, and refused to confirm that I wouldn't get one even with a photo.
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
Surely the Northern employee should be apologising for their machines being faulty, not the other way around.

That was just an example of how someone might talk to a guard. But to satify the pendants here, allow me to revise:

"The ticket machine at (insert name of station here) isn't working so I couldn't buy a ticket. Can I have a (insert required ticket details here)?"
 

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2010
Messages
5,622
What happens in these situations is that passengers use an alternative, verbal interface with the member of train crew assigned to check / sell fares. Something along the lines of "Sorry the ticket machine at (insert name of station here) isn't working so I couldn't buy a ticket. Can I have a (insert required ticket details here)?" seems to work quite well on the first lines that Northern rolled penalty fares & TVMs on.

And when either the member of staff doesn't believe the passenger? Or there is no member of staff selling tickets on the train so the first person they come across is a outsourced agency person who is purely there to give penalty fares?
 

Bantamzen

Established Member
Joined
4 Dec 2013
Messages
10,508
Location
Cheshire
And when either the member of staff doesn't believe the passenger? Or there is no member of staff selling tickets on the train so the first person they come across is a outsourced agency person who is purely there to give penalty fares?

Well judging by several months worth of using services fully within penalty fare zones every day, allow me to offer my opinion and observations:

And when either the member of staff doesn't believe the passenger?

-Well it seems most guards have no problem believing if a TVM is out of order, as there will likely be other passengers on the service reporting this, there may well have also been reports on previous services, and in some instances the guards will have seen the TVM themselves. I have seen this applied whenever a TVM has been down, indeed when I have needed to buy a ticket from my local station guards have sold me the appropriate fare on request.

Or there is no member of staff selling tickets on the train so the first person they come across is a outsourced agency person who is purely there to give penalty fares?

-This weekend just gone there were large numbers of revenue staff out and about on the Aire valley line due to the Bingley Festival taking place. Casual observation was that each check had at least one member off staff with a ticket machine available (sorry, I didn't ask if they were agency staff or Northern employees) and didn't seem to be there purely to take penalty fares. However in such an instance the first instance would be to tell them about the non-functional TVM. If they then incorrectly tried to apply a penalty fare, then complain / appeal against it.

And again I have been in a couple of situations were the TVM has been down, arrived at a revenue check having not seen the guard to buy on-board & been able to buy the appropriate ticket at the check having explained the situation.

That is of course not to say this will always be the case, in which instance I would follow the complaint / appeal route against any inappropriate fare or fine. However I have found that when a TVM has been down, reporting it to Northern seems to get either a relatively swift solution, or if that is not possible it appears on their journey check pages under station updates as a potential fault which crews & staff should be able to refer to.

This topic has a slight feel of Groundhog Day about it, popping up with almost monotonous regularity, with the same "what ifs" and discussion about possible worse case scenarios each time. All I can say, and keep on saying is that despite the original concerns raised almost 12 months ago when this scheme was initially announced, most passengers seem to be able to cope perfectly well with it, and the chaos almost gleefully predicted on here has to this date not come to pass.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top