• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern services over uncommon routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
One of the aims for this year is to complete all areas served by Northern, including some of the less common routes they travel over. I'm looking for info on some of the ones I can't easily find timetables for:

  • Wigan North Western - Newton-le-Willows - from what I can see there are early morning peak services but I can't see a return journey.

  • Hazel Grove - Chinley (think this may again be an early morning peak

  • Earlestown - on the route map published by Northern it shows services calling at all 3 sides of the traingle at Earlestown, but from what I can tell only 1,2 and 3 are served by Northern?

  • Derby - Nottingham, again I think this is an early morning train
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Joined
9 Aug 2008
Messages
2,731
Ellesmere Port - Helsby (1 extends to Warrington)

Chester - Runcorn

Northern only serves 3 out of the 4 platforms at Earlestown bar an ECS movement to Manchester.

An unusual service is the 0338 LIV-MIA which calls only at Liverpool, Manchester Picc and Manchester Airport. The fastest service between Liverpool & Manchester.
 

150222

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2011
Messages
1,002
One of the aims for this year is to complete all areas served by Northern, including some of the less common routes they travel over. I'm looking for info on some of the ones I can't easily find timetables for:

  • Wigan North Western - Newton-le-Willows - from what I can see there are early morning peak services but I can't see a return journey.

  • Hazel Grove - Chinley (think this may again be an early morning peak

  • Earlestown - on the route map published by Northern it shows services calling at all 3 sides of the traingle at Earlestown, but from what I can tell only 1,2 and 3 are served by Northern?

  • Derby - Nottingham, again I think this is an early morning train

I can no longer find this in the timetable. It used to be an evening service.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
One of the aims for this year is to complete all areas served by Northern, including some of the less common routes they travel over. I'm looking for info on some of the ones I can't easily find timetables for:

  • Wigan North Western - Newton-le-Willows - from what I can see there are early morning peak services but I can't see a return journey.

  • Hazel Grove - Chinley (think this may again be an early morning peak

  • Earlestown - on the route map published by Northern it shows services calling at all 3 sides of the traingle at Earlestown, but from what I can tell only 1,2 and 3 are served by Northern?

  • Derby - Nottingham, again I think this is an early morning train

Wigan NW-Newton-le-Willows is one 16xx WGN-LIV I think.
Hazel Grove-Chinley is served by TPE / EMT twice an hour.
From what I can see that is correct at Earlestown, ATW only use the eastern side.
Nottingham-Derby (only one way) is the last NOT-SHF Northern service in an evening.
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Ellesmere Port - Helsby (1 extends to Warrington)

Chester - Runcorn

Northern only serves 3 out of the 4 platforms at Earlestown bar an ECS movement to Manchester.

Planning on doing the Ellesmere Port - Warrington BQ train on the same day as the Chester - Runcorn train, so will probably go from Runcorn to Liverpool for a bit and get a Merseyrail service from there to Ellesmere Port.

Good to know that Northern only serve the 3 platforms at Earlestown as I'd be looking for ages trying to find a service that uses it.

Matt and 150222, aye it looks to be 20.45 off Nottingham to get to Sheffield at 21.54. Thought this was a morning service but must have been thinking of something else.

Also, I'm just looking for services operated by Northern over these lines (would be too easy to use other TOCs!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
06.06 from Man Pic is the service that goes to Sheffield via Hazel Grove and misses out New Mills Central. So another very early train to get.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
  • Hazel Grove - Chinley (think this may again be an early morning peak

06.07 and 17.46 from HAZ* in that direction are run by Northern. In the other direction there's no Northern service (although there is one EMT service that calls at both).

*05.50 and 17.23 from MAN
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
06.07 and 17.46 from HAZ* in that direction are run by Northern. In the other direction there's no Northern service (although there is one EMT service that calls at both).

*05.50 and 17.23 from MAN

17.46 wouldn't be too bad actually, only 20 minute wait at Chinley to get to Sheffield as far as I can see. Saves having to stay over somewhere and get up early to do it.

EDIT - also once I get to Sheffield, quick change to get to Nottingham and I'm sorted for the Nottingham - Derby - Sheffield trip. Can get an advance from SHF - NOT for £2 it seems, then just need to get back to Newcastle.
 

Eagle

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2011
Messages
7,106
Location
Leamingrad / Blanfrancisco
If you're going to do this properly you need to look at PSUL. Northern services in 2012:

The 05.54 SHF to NOT and the 11.05 (both Sat only) from NOT to LDS run over Beighton to Tapton.

The following run via Toton:
NOT to SHF: Weekdays 21.11, Saturdays 20.40, Sundays 10.06, 15.12, 21.30
SHF to NOT: Weekdays 06.00, Saturdays 05.54

Two Northern trains per weekday use Retford high level via the curve: the 07.03 and the 22.45 departures, which are the 06.37 and 22.28 arrivals respectively.

Some trains use the curve from Bare lane towards Carnforth, Northern services that do this are the 16.19 (weekdays) or 14.38 (Sundays) MCM to LDS.

No Northern train uses the Manchester Airport avoiding line, although a few VT and XC services do.

Quite a few services use the Copley Hill chord between WKF and LDS; a mixture of Northern and other operators.

The 23.15 weekday SHF to LDS is the only Northern service to use the Hare Park to Crofton West Jn chord.

No scheduled Northern services use Milford Jn to Castleford or to Gascoigne Wood.

And of course there are the two ways over the Tyne, but I'm sure you've thought of that...
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
Matt and 150222, aye it looks to be 20.45 off Nottingham to get to Sheffield at 21.54. Thought this was a morning service but must have been thinking of something else.
You're both correct - 0505 Sheffield - Notts is booked via Derby, but not booked to stop there. Quite a bit to cover around there, with the odd couple via Toton Centre and some via Beighton, as per Eagle's post (and PSUL).
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Most of the rest I've done previously - like Bare Lane and the routes over the High Level/King Edward Bridge in Newcastle.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
The 2247 from SHF to MAN runs via Stockport, so goes from CLY to HAZ. That's the last Northern service from SHF to MAN of the night.
 

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
2F31 1821 Wigan North Western - Liverpool Lime Street via Newton-Le-Willows

That's the one your looking for. ;)
 

Rich_D3167

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
196
Location
Hull
Don't forget the Saturdays-only Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Gainsborough Central services operated by Northern, not only being the only passenger service between Gainsborough Trent Junction & Wrawby Junction (Retford to Barnetby), but the only Northern passenger service from Barnetby to Habrough. Depart Sheffield at 08:03, 12:00 & 16:00, returning from Cleethorpes at 11:10, 15:20 & 18:36. First & last services are usually a Class 153 (first one swaps with the Barton on Humber Class 153 from the Friday), with the middle one usually being a Class 142/144.
 
Joined
13 Apr 2011
Messages
649
Location
Helsby
Planning on doing the Ellesmere Port - Warrington BQ train on the same day as the Chester - Runcorn train, so will probably go from Runcorn to Liverpool for a bit and get a Merseyrail service from there to Ellesmere Port.

Good to know that Northern only serve the 3 platforms at Earlestown as I'd be looking for ages trying to find a service that uses it.

Matt and 150222, aye it looks to be 20.45 off Nottingham to get to Sheffield at 21.54. Thought this was a morning service but must have been thinking of something else.

Also, I'm just looking for services operated by Northern over these lines (would be too easy to use other TOCs!).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
06.06 from Man Pic is the service that goes to Sheffield via Hazel Grove and misses out New Mills Central. So another very early train to get.

Don't forget that Chester - Runcorn is summer only, Saturday only.. I'm not sure that the Ellesmere Port to Warrington train runs on Saturdays??
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Don't forget that Chester - Runcorn is summer only, Saturday only.. I'm not sure that the Ellesmere Port to Warrington train runs on Saturdays??

I think it does but I'll double check - been looking at too many timetables in the past few days.
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
Don't forget the Saturdays-only Sheffield to Cleethorpes via Gainsborough Central services operated by Northern, not only being the only passenger service between Gainsborough Trent Junction & Wrawby Junction (Retford to Barnetby), but the only Northern passenger service from Barnetby to Habrough. Depart Sheffield at 08:03, 12:00 & 16:00, returning from Cleethorpes at 11:10, 15:20 & 18:36. First & last services are usually a Class 153 (first one swaps with the Barton on Humber Class 153 from the Friday), with the middle one usually being a Class 142/144.

Unfortunately, the middle service is becoming more likely to be a 153, before Xmas we had one of the multi-coloured 150s and we do have 144s at times but it is rarely a 142. The last service used to swap with Barton unit so may have changed.

More unusual stock, but the first Barton service is a 185, thats why the train misses out some stops and only calls at Great Coates Grimsby bound. Wonder when this will stop.

Thanks, Sam
 

Rich_D3167

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
196
Location
Hull
Unfortunately, the middle service is becoming more likely to be a 153, before Xmas we had one of the multi-coloured 150s and we do have 144s at times but it is rarely a 142. The last service used to swap with Barton unit so may have changed.

More unusual stock, but the first Barton service is a 185, thats why the train misses out some stops and only calls at Great Coates Grimsby bound. Wonder when this will stop.

Thanks, Sam

The middle service has been mostly a Class 144, with a slightly less common Class 142, pretty solidly for at least the past 3 years! I used to see these on 2 Saturdays every 4 weeks for nearly 3 years, so I know it isn't rarely a Class 142 (142096 recently worked the middle service on 14th January 2012)! Class 150's are very rare on the service. As you say, one appeared a few weeks ago, but beforehand they have been very rarely used. Another rarity on this service are Class 158's, the last that I know of being 158904 on the 20th August 2011 (this was on the last service though).

The Barton unit swapover on Saturdays definitely happens after the first service from Sheffield arrives now. 08:03 from Sheffield arrives from Cleethorpes at 10:11, and forms the 10:55 to Barton on Humber. The 09:52 from Barton on Humber arrives at Cleethorpes at 10:41, and forms the 11:10 to Sheffield.
 

Boothby97

Established Member
Joined
24 Apr 2011
Messages
1,753
Location
Cleethorpes
The middle service has been mostly a Class 144, with a slightly less common Class 142, pretty solidly for at least the past 3 years! I used to see these on 2 Saturdays every 4 weeks for nearly 3 years, so I know it isn't rarely a Class 142 (142096 recently worked the middle service on 14th January 2012)! Class 150's are very rare on the service. As you say, one appeared a few weeks ago, but beforehand they have been very rarely used. Another rarity on this service are Class 158's, the last that I know of being 158904 on the 20th August 2011 (this was on the last service though).

The Barton unit swapover on Saturdays definitely happens after the first service from Sheffield arrives now. 08:03 from Sheffield arrives from Cleethorpes at 10:11, and forms the 10:55 to Barton on Humber. The 09:52 from Barton on Humber arrives at Cleethorpes at 10:41, and forms the 11:10 to Sheffield.

Thanks for the info, although my post may not have been correct because at the moment I do not go to the station on a Staurday, so my uncle tells me what is on the service. Do you know the last time a 155 or 156 could have done this route.
Thanks, Sam
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,341
That'll be one of them. Sure there are a few in the morning, but will have a look.

There used to be a couple of Liverpool - Newton Le Willows - Wigan services , but they are no longer in the timetable. Note that Liverpool - Newton - Manchester is closed at weekends in the second half of February and most of March - rail replacement buses, presumably engineering work in preparation for electrification.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It does run on a Saturday. Departs Ellesmere Port around 4ish gets into Bank Quay at 1634. Then runs ECS towards Wigan (Wallgate?).

They run daily (except Su):-
05:49 Warrington BQ - Ellesmere Port.
06:53 & 16:04 Ellesmere Port - Warrington BQ
(Note - rail replacement buses from 18 Feb to 24 March 2012.)
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Note that Liverpool - Newton - Manchester is closed at weekends in the second half of February and most of March - rail replacement buses, presumably engineering work in preparation for electrification.

I'll keep that in mind, but probably will be doing the trip in July/August. I've yet to decide whether to do it in one go over 3/4 consecutive days or do parts.
 

156450

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2011
Messages
46
Location
Glasgow
Might be slightly ot owing to it being a TPX service but i know one Blackpool - Manchester Airport off Preston around 05:15 is only booked to call (from Preston) - Manchester. Oxford Road & Piccadilly which is routed via Wigan , Crow Nest Junction , Salford. Crescent and normal route. Only service i knew (or know of) that omits the stops at Chorley , Horwich & Bolton
 

Rich_D3167

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2010
Messages
196
Location
Hull
Thanks for the info, although my post may not have been correct because at the moment I do not go to the station on a Staurday, so my uncle tells me what is on the service. Do you know the last time a 155 or 156 could have done this route.
Thanks, Sam

I don't know the last time a Class 155/156 worked the Saturday-only Sheffield to Cleethorpes service. In the case of a Class 155, i'd guess around the time the Class were being converted to Class 153's (assuming they worked it at all). As for 156's, quite some time, too (at least 10 years, i'd say), as none of the Northern diagrams out of Sheffield allocate 156's these days (I know Northern 156's do frequent at Sheffield, but on services from Manchester mainly). The only units that I know of that have worked the service (at least in the past 6 - 7 years) are Classes 142, 144, 150, 153 & 158.
 

Tomnick

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
5,933
It's definitely been a 156 at least once in the last ten years - admittedly six or seven years ago, but I came back from Barnetby to Kirton on a well-filled 156, on the last Down of the day. As you say though, 156s have no booked work out of Sheffield nowadays, apart from the Hope Valley locals.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top