• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern RPI and Advance Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

308165

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2017
Messages
103
This afternoon I was on the 1626 Leeds - Skipton and a Revenue Protection Inspector (RPI) was on board along with the conductor.

The RPI had an issue with a passenger with an eticket who had a Manchester - Skipton advance fare, which she should have used on the 1556 Leeds - Skipton but hadn't because her inward service (1327 Chester - Leeds) had arrived 39 minutes late.

Although an advance fare it was a through ticket (I.e. Not split tickets - I checked this after with her). His approach to this was to give her a £60 penalty for being on the wrong train,even though it was Northern's inward train that had made her late, but he graciously(!) gave her the opportunity to email Northern to explain the circumstances. The RPI was also very poor at explaining his reasoning to the passenger.

I may be being naive about how things are these days but:

1. It seems grotesquely unfair to be fined because a Toc failed to run its train on time (and contradicts conditions of carriage?? )
2. If this is Northern's policy it seems to be designed to annoy and drive away passengers
3. If this was the RPI getting it wrong it seems that more training is needed.

Views welcome!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
It wouldn't have mattered if it was split tickets, the RPI was wrong. If you miss a connection due to late running you are entitled to take the next service of the operator you were booked on.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,532
Location
LBK
The RPI is wrong, it is not Northern policy nor is it in the NRCoT to penalise passengers for this. The penalty fare will be easily appealed and a complaint should be made after the fact.
 

308165

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2017
Messages
103
It wouldn't have mattered if it was split tickets, the RPI was wrong. If you miss a connection due to late running you are entitled to take the next service of the operator you were booked on.
That's what I thought, but I couldn't get the evidence to hand to prove it at the time.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Very, very poor indeed. This should be easily quashed with an appeal.

It's actually Northern who owes the customer (in the form of delay repay), not the other way around...
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,674
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Does Northern use the hired Carlisle thugs for on-train RPI duties, or do they employ proper RPIs? Not acceptable either way of course but the answer to this depends just how low a view I will form of them as a result of this.

I'd say this is so bad that that RPI should be sacked - this is really basic stuff. I get confusion over splits, but not through tickets.

This is a case where I would refuse a PF and allow it to go to Court to make a fool of them there if necessary.
 

m0ffy

Member
Joined
24 May 2022
Messages
371
Location
Leicestershire
This further entrenches my opinion that the railways should start losing some enforcement powers until they are subject to proper, external oversight.
 

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Joined
13 Oct 2019
Messages
2,255
Location
Liverpool
This is absolutely mind boggling incompetence by the RPI. How do they employ such idiots?

It’s like being fined for doing 55mph on a road with a 60mph limit.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
This is a most basic principle that even a member of staff with a very basic knowledge of checking tickets should understand. I do hope the person will make a complaint to Northern.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,114
Location
Redcar
That's what I thought, but I couldn't get the evidence to hand to prove it at the time.
It's quite hard to evidence because it's so blatantly fundamental! The only time I can ever recall having problems was with split advances, some staff would insist that in the event of a missed connections you were scuppered, but that was clarified maybe a decade ago now as being the wrong interpretation and I've not heard of any issues since. I can't ever recall hearing of someone being told that their AP is invalid when they missed a connection on a through ticket!

I really do hope the passenger in question complains as this is shocking from the RPI if there's nothing else going on.
 

CE142

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2014
Messages
105
All Northern Guards should just refuse RPI/PFC to do tickets in their trains!
 

308165

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2017
Messages
103
Thanks for the comments all. I find this sort of thing maddening, as it just invites people to stop travelling by train.

I wish there was a way of reporting the RPIs action to his management, but even if I could it probably wouldn't make any difference. Let's hope when Northern see the passengers explanation they work out what has happened and call the RPI in for a discussion.
 

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
Am assuming here that the late service from Chester was the service the passenger was actually booked on with their advance? If they were booked on a different train the penalty would probably be legitimate.
 

Class800

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,112
Location
West Country
Does Northern use the hired Carlisle thugs for on-train RPI duties, or do they employ proper RPIs? Not acceptable either way of course but the answer to this depends just how low a view I will form of them as a result of this.

I'd say this is so bad that that RPI should be sacked - this is really basic stuff. I get confusion over splits, but not through tickets.

This is a case where I would refuse a PF and allow it to go to Court to make a fool of them there if necessary.
@Bletchleyite I certainly think it's poor conduct what the RPI did. I don't think there's much precedence for dismissal over a single incident, although in other sectors of employment this is common. Hopefully Northern will refund and give compensation. There's a possibility Northern could refuse the appeal, so it can be seen to support its staff. It's a tricky balance sometimes
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,885
There's a possibility Northern could refuse the appeal, so it can be seen to support its staff. It's a tricky balance sometimes
In which case it's a good thing that penalty fare appeals are handled by an independent body.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,306
Location
Bolton
Thanks. That's even more disappointing - I expect Carlisle staff to be awful, not proper railway staff!
Well is it a surprise? Many of them are exactly the same staff who have been working for Carlisle Services' Northern contract for years, who have now been offered jobs at Northern...

Northern's in-house conductors and station staff are given very little training when it comes to things like ticket conditions. You and I think this is basic stuff but advance tickets on the wrong train weren't mentioned at all in the training course for a conductor which my friend went through. The revenue parts of the courses are only really about practical matters like how to use the ticket machine, how to report people for ticketless travel, and how to interact with the customer. Presumably the RPI training includes how to issue penalty fares too.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

@Bletchleyite I certainly think it's poor conduct what the RPI did. I don't think there's much precedence for dismissal over a single incident, although in other sectors of employment this is common. Hopefully Northern will refund and give compensation. There's a possibility Northern could refuse the appeal, so it can be seen to support its staff. It's a tricky balance sometimes
Even if the appeal were being considered by Northern directly, which it wouldn't be, the details and results of any disciplinary process should be kept confidential, so they wouldn't affect this case. The genuine independence of the appeal panel, especially the stage one and two, is a matter about which there's disagreement. However there is agreement that it's not done directly by the organisation who issued the notice.
 
Last edited:

308165

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2017
Messages
103
Am assuming here that the late service from Chester was the service the passenger was actually booked on with their advance? If they were booked on a different train the penalty would probably be legitimate.
Yes - the booking was on that service.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,638
Location
Merseyside
Yes - the booking was on that service.
There is nothing stopping you making a complaint yourself about the conduct you witnessed. In fact I would be minded to do so personally I was encouraged you to do so and let us know here what Northern say.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,819
Location
West of Andover
There is nothing stopping you making a complaint yourself about the conduct you witnessed. In fact I would be minded to do so personally I was encouraged you to do so and let us know here what Northern say.
Most likely "Blah blah blah, passengers are wrong, we are correct, now just go away blah blah blah", or a stock response which completely ignores the original complaint.

Are the Northern RPIs given targets or some sort of bonus scheme with the number of PFs issued? You could understand if it was a contractor staff as they are poorly trained but an actual member of Northern staff. Beggars belief
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,801
There's a possibility Northern could refuse the appeal, so it can be seen to support its staff. It's a tricky balance sometimes

If that happened, it’d be even worse than the RPI’s initial mistake. And it isn’t tricky when your member of staff is 100% in the wrong. As an organisation you apologise and make it right
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top