• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail's unsuccessful RRA attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
As long as they don't make anyone miss their connections, or deny people travelling with valid tickets of course..!

It's funny you say that actually!

Earlier this afternoon I was coming into Piccadilly from P13 and went to Northern's little ticket stall (SLD ticket office closed). I bought my ticket to MAU and started heading towards platform 9.

The next thing I know, there's two STM goons shouting "excuse me sir! Excuse me!" I turn around.

"May I see your ticket please?!"
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,130
Location
North East Cheshire
Whenever I've asked for a zero excess on the Northern west side from guards they've allowed me to continue travelling without having a zero ticket and without any trouble. Luckily I've never been travelling to a station with barriers or rpi's.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,835
It's funny you say that actually!

Earlier this afternoon I was coming into Piccadilly from P13 and went to Northern's little ticket stall (SLD ticket office closed). I bought my ticket to MAU and started heading towards platform 9.

The next thing I know, there's two STM goons shouting "excuse me sir! Excuse me!" I turn around.

"May I see your ticket please?!"
And did that cause you to miss your connection? If not, it seems entirely reasonable that they checked that you hadn't "forgotten" which station you'd started your journey at, as so many people are wont to do.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
And did that cause you to miss your connection? If not, it seems entirely reasonable that they checked that you hadn't "forgotten" which station you'd started your journey at, as so many people are wont to do.

It very nearly did as a matter of fact, after queuing up for a ticket for serveral minutes I only just made it onto the train.

What got me was these staff were standing right next to the man who issued my ticket. They must have heard every word and decided to be obnoxious, or simply weren't paying attention.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Whenever I've asked for a zero excess on the Northern west side from guards they've allowed me to continue travelling without having a zero ticket and without any trouble. Luckily I've never been travelling to a station with barriers or rpi's.

A guard on the Hope Valley line did exactly the same for me, although it was on the last train of the night so no danger of getting into trouble.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top