• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail: Vacancy Withdrawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Okay. This is happening a lot now.

Is it -
Unsuccessful, you didn't get it.

Is it -
Whoopsy we didn't need one. My bad.

Or is it -
We gave it to an internal candidate.

They do send emails which say 'you have been unsuccessful' too, so something is going on here. All three most recent correspondences with Northern have been vacancy withdrawn, and speaking to several others on here, this accounts for 40-45% of all posts they advertise. Tempted to ask Northern directly but I could end up even more confused with smoke billowing from my ears. :roll:

---------
UPDATE

Okay it's 5pm. Three more 'vacancies withdrawn' just appeared on peoples applications, reassuring to know it's not just me.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
There needs to be stricter rules brought in to stop employers withdrawing vacances before their closing date.

The rule should be once they advertise a job they must commit to it.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
There needs to be stricter rules brought in to stop employers withdrawing vacances before their closing date.

The rule should be once they advertise a job they must commit to it.

Why? If they've filled the position then there's no point advertising it giving people the false hope that they've still got a chance.
 

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
Why? If they've filled the position then there's no point advertising it giving people the false hope that they've still got a chance.

Everytime i say something you always disagree with me. Now enough of that please.

Yes its not nice when a vacancy is withdrawn. But when it happerns it happerns and so the job hunt for a lot of us goes on.
 

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
There needs to be stricter rules brought in to stop employers withdrawing vacances before their closing date.

The rule should be once they advertise a job they must commit to it.
How could you possibily run a business with such pointless 'rules'?
If there isn't a vacancy then there isn't a vacacy. Things change.
 

tempests1

Member
Joined
3 Aug 2010
Messages
239
Location
Haslemere
There needs to be stricter rules brought in to stop employers withdrawing vacances before their closing date.

The rule should be once they advertise a job they must commit to it.

You have just got to be patient something will come along in time! I appreciate its hard but at the end of the day would you really want to go through the whole application process for a non existant job role, it would be much better to get the bad news at the start rather than pin all your hopes on it
 
Last edited:

alexdodds

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2009
Messages
394
Location
Chester-le-Street
You have just got to be patient something will come along in time! I appreciate its hard but at the end of the day would you really want to go through the whole application process for a non existant job role, it would be much better to get the bad news at the start rather than pin all your hopes on it

Some words of wisdom at least from someone.
 
Joined
11 Nov 2007
Messages
337
Location
portsmouth
i think the problem is that if you do put in an application, especially for a job that comes up VERY infrequently in your area, then they should have the decency to screen it...
 

Vandal

Member
Joined
26 May 2011
Messages
28
Been reading with interest about Vacancies being withdrawn, and it has happened to me twice.

First time was about 4 months after the closing date, I got an E-Mail saying the position had been withdrawn, which made it nearly 5 months since I applied and got a definite no, and the second one, I got another E-Mail 4 days after the advertised closing date telling me the same again, vacancy withdrawn.

It happens I know, but when I logged in to check status of application, it said 'Removed self from consideration'. That to me does not say vacancy withdrawn, and I did not remove myself from consideration either.
 

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
5,468
Location
Cambridge
I must just be extremely lucky then as I have been offered an interview for the position of Retail Supervisor at Worksop! :D
 

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
1,432
Location
South Liverpool
My friend recently applied for Dispatch with Northern at MCO and got 2 emails at once.

One said 'Congratulations! You've passed the online assessment and we'd like to invite you for an interview!'
The second said "Sorry, we've withdrawn the vacancy"

Nice to know he's not the only one though!
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
I'm hoping that if I send enough applications to Northern, they will get so fed up of my name they will give me an interview!
 

Egmon

Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
5
Hi everyone,
This forum has proved brilliant, I have been looking at it daily for the past few days. Interested due to the drivers vacancy at Manchester and Liverpool. However I had heard nothing as of today from them but had been watching the conductors vacancy, so thought there would be no harm in applying for that as well. However once I submitted the application, it automatically withdrew my other two applications. This is a bit of a blow, as I have recently left the merchant navy, and was looking forward to a career in the rail industry. Obviously I would be more than happy with an interview for the conductors job, but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this or knew how to get in contact with northern rail to re-submit these applications.

Thanks a lot for any time given to help me and I hope your all successful in your endeavours also.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Someone from York HQ was sifting the trainee drivers applications today at 4pm, so chances are it's probably coincidence it happened at the same time; unless the status reads 'application withdrawn' which suggests you've withdrawn it (albeit in error).

If it's a technical booboo, email northern@engageats.co.uk
 

strange6

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2011
Messages
1,920
Location
Wigan, Greater manchester
It's a sad fact of life but when positions are advertised externally these days (in a significant amount of cases), the employer has no intention but to recruit in-house, so to speak!
 

Egmon

Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
5
Cheers for that, I guess it may be coincidence then? My status read rejected due to new application. oh well I guess fingers crossed for the conductors position.
Thanks again
 

Sammy h

Member
Joined
25 May 2011
Messages
420
I also tried applying for the conducter position, but clicked the wrong button saying I had partial sight, which I don't. It now won't let me apply or the job. Brilliant.
 

Egmon

Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
5
Thanks strange6,
Sammyh have you tried emailing northern rail? I noticed when I withdrew the application for Driver after it rejected itself, a speech mark popped up saying if I withdrew there was no going back and I would have to contact them to be reconsidered. Which is what I have done via E-Mail. so whether that works or not i'm not sure? Or perhaps you can withdraw and re-apply before the deadline which I think will be midnight?
 

Asian Demon

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2011
Messages
155
I also tried applying for the conducter position, but clicked the wrong button saying I had partial sight, which I don't. It now won't let me apply or the job. Brilliant.

Contact them via phone or email and they'll reset the application for you. I've done something similar before when applying for them as well. Easy enough mistake to make.

As for the person who has had their application rejected due to new application, just contact northern since they may be able to let you know. Sounds like a tech error with their application system tbh. I'm sure they can clear it up and put through both your applications.
 

Egmon

Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
5
Thanks I will try to contact them I already have by e-mail, But I wouldn't know which number to phone them on?

Thanks
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
I've heard back about the trainee driver positions.

Rejected from Manchester.

Invite to Interview for Liverpool. yay!
 

Egmon

Member
Joined
30 May 2011
Messages
5
Congarats!!

Well at least now we know its possible. Best of luck to you mate.
 

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
Well done mate!!

Get practicing and I hope it goes well :)
 
Joined
23 Feb 2006
Messages
313
The only thing that bothers me about the whole process is the optical test.

I wear glasses and have not been to the opticians in a while, so I'm not sure what standard my eyes are at.

With glasses my vision is fine, it is not so great without glasses and unfortunately you do need a set visual level without glasses. I'm worried my eyes are not up to the task.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top