According to 'Rail Magazine', Northern is to hand back its 153 fleet at the same time as it's Pacers. This is supposedly because new EMU's and cascaded sprinters from Scotrail will cover all of Northern's rolling stock needs.
I have to say, this sounds like a bad idea, and I'm highly sceptical that the new and cascaded trains will be able to both replace Pacers and 153's and cater for growth.
As an example, I was travelling on a Whitby service today that was full and standing (yes - in the middle of winter) from before Battersby. This is clearly an example of a route which needs more capacity, yet it's hard to imagine it getting three carriages rather than two from the replacements and cascades. 153's would be ideal for strengthening services such as these.
This sounds like a cost cutting measure, nothing more.
I have to say, this sounds like a bad idea, and I'm highly sceptical that the new and cascaded trains will be able to both replace Pacers and 153's and cater for growth.
As an example, I was travelling on a Whitby service today that was full and standing (yes - in the middle of winter) from before Battersby. This is clearly an example of a route which needs more capacity, yet it's hard to imagine it getting three carriages rather than two from the replacements and cascades. 153's would be ideal for strengthening services such as these.
This sounds like a cost cutting measure, nothing more.