• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rail recruitment update hull

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinoza

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
6
Location
hu1 1th
I got this in my mail and I am yet to receive any response about interview from them. Mail below.




We’re contacting you to let you know that your application for Trainee Train Driver - Hull is now being screened by our Recruitment Team.



Please bear with us as we work through all of the applications that were received for this role.



We’ll be in touch again once we have an update for you. We’ll contact you via the email address you have supplied so please do continue to check your email regularly (including spam and junk folders).



You can also check the current status of your application via our Candidate Portal. The portal will include copies of any messages and emails we have sent to you.



We understand that you’ll be keen to hear how your application is progressing, but we kindly ask for your patience whilst we review all of the applications that we received.



Kind regards



The Recruitment Team

Northern Trains Ltd


What comes next after this as I am lost
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SiTheTrainGuy

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2023
Messages
82
Location
Silsden
Probably another decent chunk of waiting. It’s a good sign you’ve beaten the initial sift though. Sit tight, I’m sure you’ll hear something soon.
 

spinoza

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
6
Location
hu1 1th
Probably another decent chunk of waiting. It’s a good sign you’ve beaten the initial sift though. Sit tight, I’m sure you’ll hear something soon.
Yeah I think I have Passed the first stage of recruitment. I just want information about about how the interview looks like and am I going to do some kind of test?
 
Joined
11 Feb 2022
Messages
187
Location
Doncaster
Yeah I think I have Passed the first stage of recruitment. I just want information about about how the interview looks like and am I going to do some kind of test?
If you pass the paper sift or screening as it’s referred to you will be invited to an interview with a driver manager, usually 2 of them, one acting as note taker.

If you pass the interview with them you will be invited to sit the psychometric tests and complete the MMI, a second interview that drills into you a lot deeper.

If you have passed these stages it’s back in the waiting pool for a course start date to come up, once you received a date you will have a medical beforehand, be sent lots of paperwork to complete and await your start date
 

feaky4

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
262
I applied for this role and got invited to a phone interview which I sat yesterday, the interviewer said if I pass that then it’s face to face interview, it would then be psycho tests which I have already passed so if I get through this and the face to face I’ll be given a course date or put on a 12 month talent pool
 

spinoza

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
6
Location
hu1 1th
If you pass the paper sift or screening as it’s referred to you will be invited to an interview with a driver manager, usually 2 of them, one acting as note taker.

If you pass the interview with them you will be invited to sit the psychometric tests and complete the MMI, a second interview that drills into you a lot deeper.

If you have passed these stages it’s back in the waiting pool for a course start date to come up, once you received a date you will have a medical beforehand, be sent lots of paperwork to complete and await your start date
Thanks Do You Know How The Psychometric test works? And Do I Have To Study For That?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I applied for this role and got invited to a phone interview which I sat yesterday, the interviewer said if I pass that then it’s face to face interview, it would then be psycho tests which I have already passed so if I get through this and the face to face I’ll be given a course date or put on a 12 month talent pool
Was this in hull ?
 
Joined
11 Feb 2022
Messages
187
Location
Doncaster
Thanks Do You Know How The Psychometric test works? And Do I Have To Study For That?
It’s a multiple part test and the forum is full of examples and links to practice material…

Don’t be drawn into buying expensive practice packages online, you will be sent a practice and information pack and this helps you get yourself ready to take the tests
 

feaky4

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
262
Thanks Do You Know How The Psychometric test works? And Do I Have To Study For That?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Was this in hull ?
Yes hull position, said I should find out result on Wednesday and aiming for face to face interviews for around the 23rd
 

spinoza

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2024
Messages
6
Location
hu1 1th
Yes hull position, said I should find out result on Wednesday and aiming for face to face interviews for around the 23rd
I Am Still On Under Consideration

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I Am Still On Under Consideration
Yes hull position, said I should find out result on Wednesday and aiming for face to face interviews for around the 23rd
Good Luck
 

feaky4

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
262
How Was Your

have You Gotten Your Results And How Was It?
Still waiting to hear back, probably be tomorrow!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How Was Your

have You Gotten Your Results And How Was It?
Got an email today saying I passed the phone interview and I will be contacted with details for the face to face
 
Last edited:

T12EAD

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
5
Location
Hull
Still waiting to hear back, probably be tomorrow!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Got an email today saying I passed the phone interview and I will be contacted with details for the face to face
Hi Feaky4,

Have you had your interview yet? I have been given dates for a face to face next month.
 

T12EAD

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
5
Location
Hull
Hey, yeah I had mine this morning.

Very nice well done! Is this for the hull position?
Thank you, yes Hull. How did it go? I hope it went well. Any tips? I haven’t had an interview in years so I’m very nervous!
 

feaky4

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2018
Messages
262
Thank you, yes Hull. How did it go? I hope it went well. Any tips? I haven’t had an interview in years so I’m very nervous!
I’m not to confident if I’m being honest but only time will tell,

Do research about northern, they ask about your work history what you think the role of a train driver is those types of questions then there’s about 6 of tell me a time when questions.

The 2 guys where really nice and welcoming and helpful!
 

Treacle24

New Member
Joined
2 Aug 2024
Messages
1
Location
Hull
I applied for the above position last month. I finally received an update yesterday to say I've not gotten through to the interview stage.
I know there was an unusually high amount of applicants, but I think I had a very strong application and I'm a bit surprised tbh. Has anybody gotten through who hasn't already passed the psychometric tests? I was thinking of paying to do them privately for the future.
 

T12EAD

Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
5
Location
Hull
I applied for the above position last month. I finally received an update yesterday to say I've not gotten through to the interview stage.
I know there was an unusually high amount of applicants, but I think I had a very strong application and I'm a bit surprised tbh. Has anybody gotten through who hasn't already passed the psychometric tests? I was thinking of paying to do them privately for the future.
Did you have two interviews or just the initial telephone one? Did they provide feedback?
 

Bingley

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2023
Messages
7
Location
Hull
Hi, I recently passed my Psychometric Assessment and met the requirements for a Trainee Train Driver position within Northern (Hull) which I applied for-

The email I received stated they can’t make me an offer at this moment in time and I’ve been placed in the Talent Pool for 12 months. Just wondering if this is quite common, if anyone has actually not heard anything within the 12 months and has had to start the whole process again?

Thanks
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,574
Just wondering if this is quite common
Extremely common place across the industry. TOCs generally try to keep their Talent Pools realistic (e.g. those who they reasonably being able to foresee offering a role to within the timeframe) but it’s not a promise.
 

SiTheTrainGuy

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2023
Messages
82
Location
Silsden
Hi, I recently passed my Psychometric Assessment and met the requirements for a Trainee Train Driver position within Northern (Hull) which I applied for-

The email I received stated they can’t make me an offer at this moment in time and I’ve been placed in the Talent Pool for 12 months. Just wondering if this is quite common, if anyone has actually not heard anything within the 12 months and has had to start the whole process again?

Thanks
I doubt you'll be waiting long. It's pretty much a 99.9% guarantee of a job at the moment
 

Bingley

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2023
Messages
7
Location
Hull
Cheers guys, this is a-bit more reassuring!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Over the moon- they’ve just emailed me asking if I can start next month!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top