• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail recovery

xjxjxjxjxj

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2026
Messages
8
Location
Leeds
I have received an email asking for me to attend an interview for using a railcard which I didn’t have, the total tickets is around 75+ but I’ve experienced money struggles. I’ve only saved around £2 per journey but I don’t really want to go to an interview and can’t afford a solicitor. What options do I have? Do I just admit wrongdoing and take a fine ?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2013
Messages
3,582
Location
Lancashire
Do not attend any interview as that is how they will get the necessary admission from you of your offending, which if they haven’t stopped you in person using the invalid ticket in the last 6 months they haven’t got sufficient evidence to prosecute you
 

xjxjxjxjxj

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2026
Messages
8
Location
Leeds
Do not attend any interview as that is how they will get the necessary admission from you of your offending, which if they haven’t stopped you in person using the invalid ticket in the last 6 months they haven’t got sufficient evidence to prosecute you

Don't reply then. Just a fishing exercise.
They said I can attend with a solicitor which worried me. So if I just leave it, I’ll be fine? They’ve said it’s in accordance with police and criminal evidence act, is that something to be worried about ?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
They said I can attend with a solicitor which worried me. So if I just leave it, I’ll be fine?
Yes, provided you don’t get caught - they will be pleased if you stop cheating and make sure you go by the book - correct ticket, buy before you board etc.
They’ve said it’s in accordance with police and criminal evidence act, is that something to be worried about ?
Not particularly - I'd be more worried if they weren't complying with the law :)
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,817
They said I can attend with a solicitor which worried me. So if I just leave it, I’ll be fine? They’ve said it’s in accordance with police and criminal evidence act, is that something to be worried about ?
You have a right to silence, and that includes not attending an interview and not replying to letters. You should exercise your rights by not engaging with them.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,223
They said I can attend with a solicitor which worried me. So if I just leave it, I’ll be fine? They’ve said it’s in accordance with police and criminal evidence act, is that something to be worried about ?
Buying tickets to which you are not entitled is not in itself an offence - you might be buying for someone else.

The offence would be to USE or attempt to use tickets to which you are not entitled.

If they have no evidence of you using such a ticket they cannot prove an offence.

Normally they gain such evidence by catching you in the act, which is why it is so important whether or not they have ever stopped you when using such a ticket.
 

xjxjxjxjxj

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2026
Messages
8
Location
Leeds
Buying tickets to which you are not entitled is not in itself an offence - you might be buying for someone else.

The offence would be to USE or attempt to use tickets to which you are not entitled.

If they have no evidence of you using such a ticket they cannot prove an offence.

Normally they gain such evidence by catching you in the act, which is why it is so important whether or not they have ever stopped you when using such a ticket.
They didn’t stop me, the letter just says that I purchased x amount of tickets over a 4 year period using a railcard, it doesn’t specifically say I’ve committed an offence or used the tickets
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,311
They didn’t stop me, the letter just says that I purchased x amount of tickets over a 4 year period using a railcard, it doesn’t specifically say I’ve committed an offence or used the tickets
Going forwards would you be entitled to a railcard if you wanted to buy one? If so do that.

Don’t delete your existing on line ticket buying account (because they can access it anyway), but find a way to get off their radar

Eg change who you buy train tickets from or buy them from ticket machines

Buy correct tickets on future so you don’t draw attention to yourself

If you get any more letters from them head back here for advice on what to do before sending any reply.
 

xjxjxjxjxj

Member
Joined
2 Oct 2026
Messages
8
Location
Leeds
Going forwards would you be entitled to a railcard if you wanted to buy one? If so do that.

Don’t delete your existing on line ticket buying account (because they can access it anyway), but find a way to get off their radar

Eg change who you buy train tickets from or buy them from ticket machines

Buy correct tickets on future so you don’t draw attention to yourself

If you get any more letters from them head back here for advice on what to do before sending any reply.
Thanks, that’s reassuring. I think I just panicked due to the serious tone of the letter, when realistically they haven’t caught me committing an offence. I’ll defo be buying the correct tickets from now on.
 

MarlowDonkey

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,876
They didn’t stop me, the letter just says that I purchased x amount of tickets over a 4 year period using a railcard, it doesn’t specifically say I’ve committed an offence or used the tickets
How would they conclude from ticket purchasing records that you didn't have a valid railcard? There isn't a comprehensive central database. Some things could perhaps be inferred to be suspect, for example use of an age related card for longer than the range of ages for which it is normally valid. I believe something like the jobseekers card by its nature is also time limited.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,311
How would they conclude from ticket purchasing records that you didn't have a valid railcard? There isn't a comprehensive central database. Some things could perhaps be inferred to be suspect, for example use of an age related card for longer than the range of ages for which it is normally valid. I believe something like the jobseekers card by its nature is also time limited.
Maybe we’re talking about a 16-17 saver railcard.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,901
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
Thanks, that’s reassuring. I think I just panicked due to the serious tone of the letter, when realistically they haven’t caught me committing an offence. I’ll defo be buying the correct tickets from now on.

Just to be clear - the usual practice if you are caught is that they will demand payment for everything up front (i.e. the last 4 years) at anytime rates not to prosecute for the one time that they did catch you. So definitely stick to this!
 

Top