• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Peak and Off Peak ticket anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

james2trains

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2013
Messages
64
Location
Yorkshire, UK
I think I've noticed an anomaly in Northern's morning peak times services and restrictions.

For example, I've been told by Northern for a journey from Shepley to Huddersfield on the 09.29 would be a peak time train where an Off Peak ticket is not valid.

If you change the ticket to make a journey from Shepley to Manchester (changing at Huddersfield) and using the same 09.29 train, I've also been told that an Off Peak ticket is not valid.

However, any ticketing website will allow you to buy an Off Peak return for the 09.29 train if the ticket is to Manchester. So, would this be valid on the 9.29 train? Northern are also not clear on what time their morning peak is and cannot explain when asked.

If anyone can shed some light on this situation then that would be appreciated. :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,335
Location
Glasgow
I think I've noticed an anomaly in Northern's morning peak times services and restrictions.

For example, I've been told by Northern for a journey from Shepley to Huddersfield on the 09.29 would be a peak time train where an Off Peak ticket is not valid.

If you change the ticket to make a journey from Shepley to Manchester (changing at Huddersfield) and using the same 09.29 train, I've also been told that an Off Peak ticket is not valid.

However, any ticketing website will allow you to buy an Off Peak return for the 09.29 train if the ticket is to Manchester. So, would this be valid on the 9.29 train? Northern are also not clear on what time their morning peak is and cannot explain when asked.

If anyone can shed some light on this situation then that would be appreciated. :)

An any permitted ticket should be valid
 

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2017
Messages
6,416
I think I've noticed an anomaly in Northern's morning peak times services and restrictions.

For example, I've been told by Northern for a journey from Shepley to Huddersfield on the 09.29 would be a peak time train where an Off Peak ticket is not valid.

If you change the ticket to make a journey from Shepley to Manchester (changing at Huddersfield) and using the same 09.29 train, I've also been told that an Off Peak ticket is not valid.

However, any ticketing website will allow you to buy an Off Peak return for the 09.29 train if the ticket is to Manchester. So, would this be valid on the 9.29 train? Northern are also not clear on what time their morning peak is and cannot explain when asked.

If anyone can shed some light on this situation then that would be appreciated. :)

When 'off-peak' is depends on the route and not the train or the operator (though there are certain operators' services which are more likely to be 'peak'). So their confusing answer is not necessarily entirely wrong.

Specific to your situation, in terms of Standard class off-peak tickets, when going from Shepley to Manchester with a route: 'ANY PERMITTED' ticket, TransPennine Express sets this fare (and hence the restriction code). The restriction code is TF for the Off-Peak Return and I2 for the Off-Peak Day Return. The former disallows departing between 04:29 and 08:45, the latter disallows departing after 04:29 and before 09:15. If, however, you use the route: 'VIA HEBDENBRIDGE' ticket, which, for Off-Peak is only available for a Day Return, then the fare is set by Northern and the restriction code is B1, which disallows departing after 04:29 and before 09:30.

So, depending on your ticket and ticket route, your ticket could be valid - or not - on the 09:29 train.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,539
Location
Yorkshire
I think I've noticed an anomaly in Northern's morning peak times services and restrictions.
I don't think so, unless the entire fares structure is an anomaly.:lol:

That said, your post mainly seems to be regarding a fare set by another train company, Transpennine Express.
For example, I've been told by Northern for a journey from Shepley to Huddersfield on the 09.29 would be a peak time train where an Off Peak ticket is not valid.
Shepley to Huddersfield Off Peak Day Return is not valid on that train
If you change the ticket to make a journey from Shepley to Manchester (changing at Huddersfield) and using the same 09.29 train, I've also been told that an Off Peak ticket is not valid.
Who told you that?

If a retailer tells you this, and requires you to purchase an Anytime ticket for that journey, you are entitled to a refund of the difference. Not only that, but you would have evidence that mis-selling is occurring, which is a potential breach of consumer law and therefore a serious matter.

If a train company consistently states this, it may be evidence of an abuse of a dominant position.
However, any ticketing website will allow you to buy an Off Peak return for the 09.29 train if the ticket is to Manchester. So, would this be valid on the 9.29 train?
Yes (providing the ticket is not routed "via Hebden Bridge", as detailed in the post above)
Northern are also not clear on what time their morning peak is and cannot explain when asked.
Who did you ask at Northern? Their customer services staff in particular are very unknowledgeable about rail fares. Some of them on Twitter are clueless though the advice on Twitter doesn't appear to be so bad these days as it was.
If anyone can shed some light on this situation then that would be appreciated. :)
The easiest way to find out what time any ticket of your choice is valid for any given itinerary is to use a booking engine.

If you want to know the full set of restrictions for any fare, look that fare up on brfares.com (see post above for some direct links to relevant fares from Shepley to Manchester).

Asking Northern isn't the best way to find out the restrictions, as the advice could well be incorrect, as many people have found out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top