• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail : Newcastle to Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
958
Location
Whitley Bay
After seeing the recent Northern Rail sale, I looked into possible destinations, from Newcastle.

I did manage to book a few trips, a couple with a friend and two more with my granddaughter.

I noticed Durham is also served by NR which interested me. Looking on RTT, it seems there are only 3 early morning trains, starting at Middlesbrough or Saltburn, and only one late night return, leaving Newcastle at 22:23

I wonder how busy these trains are
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,813
Location
West of Andover
I would imagine the late night one potentially could be busy with people heading back towards Durham/Darlington after an evening on the alcohol, especially as that time of night.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
I would imagine the late night one potentially could be busy with people heading back towards Durham/Darlington after an evening on the alcohol, especially as that time of night.
It is also handy when Newcastle United have a evening match.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,113
Location
Redcar
I noticed Durham is also served by NR which interested me. Looking on RTT, it seems there are only 3 early morning trains, starting at Middlesbrough or Saltburn, and only one late night return, leaving Newcastle at 22:23

I wonder how busy these trains are
Not sure about the morning ones but the evening service on Friday/Saturday can be full and standing with people going home after a day/evening out in Newcastle. It is often quite rowdy as a result! Will empty out after Durham however.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,611
Location
Isle of Man
Busy. They exist to fill gaps in service before/after the intercity operators are running. The morning trains are full of commuters and the 22.23 always used to be a party train on a Friday or Saturday night.
 

DH1Commuter

Member
Joined
28 Jun 2018
Messages
99
After seeing the recent Northern Rail sale, I looked into possible destinations, from Newcastle.

I did manage to book a few trips, a couple with a friend and two more with my granddaughter.

I noticed Durham is also served by NR which interested me. Looking on RTT, it seems there are only 3 early morning trains, starting at Middlesbrough or Saltburn, and only one late night return, leaving Newcastle at 22:23

I wonder how busy these trains are
First morning train - generally not too busy; early commuters only.

Second morning train - rammed with commuters and children going to school in Newcastle.

Evening train - generally not too busy unless Friday/Saturday or Newcastle home fixture, in which case standing-room only.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,813
Location
West of Andover
First morning train - generally not too busy; early commuters only.

Second morning train - rammed with commuters and children going to school in Newcastle.

Evening train - generally not too busy unless Friday/Saturday or Newcastle home fixture, in which case standing-room only.
Probably add Thursday if Newcastle is anything like the London area regarding to people 'working' from home on the Friday
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top