• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

maccalad

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2016
Messages
58
I have my medical coming up this week, so I'' just after any advice as to what it entails:

I suspect an eyesight test for distances and colours.

I suspect an heating test.

I suspect a blood pressure and heart rate test.

Anything else?

Also, what is suitable attire? I'' having a family day after, so ideally, I want to be in the comfort of jeans and a t-shirt.

Cheers guys.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Train1992

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2016
Messages
39
Hi,

What position is your medical for? I am currently waiting on a medical since passing an assessment day last Monday and was jus wondering how long it normally takes for Northern to set date for the medical?

Hope all goes well mate.
 

JohnFM

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2015
Messages
214
I have my medical coming up this week, so I'' just after any advice as to what it entails:

I suspect an eyesight test for distances and colours.

I suspect an heating test.

I suspect a blood pressure and heart rate test.

Anything else?

Also, what is suitable attire? I'' having a family day after, so ideally, I want to be in the comfort of jeans and a t-shirt.

Cheers guys.

Suitable attire is - clothing. Unless the TOC specifies anything then everyday clothing will be fine. Arriving without any clothing will probably mean you end up in a paper suit, kindly provided by the Police.

Eyesight, hearing, drugs test, urine test, ECG and general medical stuff like height and weight to look at your BMI, lifestyle questions, family history etc.

Nothing too onerous really and nothing to get worried about. Unless, of course, if you're a myopic, alcoholic, drug addict with a penchant for pies and have severe anger management issues. :)
 
Last edited:

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Joined
4 Sep 2016
Messages
841
Hearing. Eye sight, colour blindness check, ecg, height and weight check and a pee test.

Then a chat with the doctor. Walk in a straight line, touch your nose etc.

All good. Took around an hour or so.

I went in jeans and a jacket.
 

maccalad

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2016
Messages
58
Thanks for the advice guys.

I may carry an extra couple of pounds, but nothing to concern me.........other than the BMI........always a stupid measure because of muscle mass.
 

JohnFM

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2015
Messages
214
An amazing number of people think this too, I have done medicals on many hundreds of people and some with high BMI's state this onerous "fact".

You need to be seriously huge, muscle wise, in order to turn your skinny frame into overweight or obese ranges.

Being fat and muscular is the danger here as you can be both!

Until the world invents another scale the BMI is the scale by which we measure body mass, however, clinical staff are advised to look at it objectively rather than have the BMI as an immoveable object.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top