• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern rail fine - rail card Issue

Smokingviper1

New Member
Joined
8 Jun 2026
Messages
2
Location
Newcastle
Hi there guys

I don't take trains at all, however my girlfriend booked a Railcard train ticket for me back in April. She is also new to using Railcards. At that point I didn't have a Railcard card of my own and but now do have a HM Forces rail card after the incident.

I wasn't aware at that time the seriousness of the Railcards and believed that my girlfriends Railcard would suffice. Ohh how I was wrong. I told this to the train ticket staff member and he told me the ins and outs of the Railcard. However he had to take a picture of my ID and train ticket.

I have Just got a letter through the post stating I need to write any mitigating circumstances down on this form and if none then pay nearly £200.

I know I was unaware of how serious the Railcards were taken and I'm pretty much brand new to trains, is there ant way around not paying quite a large amount?

Many thanks for reading this
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
Which railcard was used to discount the ticket?

Please upload a copy of the letter with your personal details redacted.
 

Smokingviper1

New Member
Joined
8 Jun 2026
Messages
2
Location
Newcastle
Thank you for replying! My girlfriend booked the ticket using a 26-30 Railcard. I have attached the letter
 

Attachments

  • Messenger_creation_BB2D8E23-488F-4BA0-BDDE-3FA46D123624~2.jpg
    Messenger_creation_BB2D8E23-488F-4BA0-BDDE-3FA46D123624~2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 88

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,279
@Smokingviper1. Looks like you're dealing with XC, not Northern.

It's not a fine, it's an £90.20 unpaid fare plus an £100 admin fee, maybe a journey with Cross Country from Newcastle to Sheffield?
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
You don't really have any mitigating circumstances I'm afraid. You committed a criminal offence for which the company can prosecute you in the Magistrates' Court. You boarded the train without a valid ticket (a discounted one with no entitlement to the discount is not a valid ticket) and this is an offence under the Railway Bylaws.

So, assuming you travelled to Sheffield, the fare element is correct and you will just have to pay it I'm afraid.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
I'd pay it now rather than go to court.

I've no particular knowledge of how things work in the armed forces, but I would expect that if it went to court you would have to report this to your unit. I doubt if getting a train fare wrong would be career ending but you don't need the hassle.

Check whether you need to report out of court settlements as well.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,271
Thank you for replying! My girlfriend booked the ticket using a 26-30 Railcard. I have attached the letter
The bad news is cross country are very difficult to deal with on this stuff (and they pay a contractor to deal with it that plays hard ball). If you don’t pay they will almost certainly prosecute you in the magistrates court and they would win that because it’s a strict liability offence. Ie it’s not up for debate that your ticket wasn’t valid.

Your girlfriend needed to check you had that railcard before travelling when she bought that ticket.

I’m afraid you are going to need to pay this I think and chalk this one up to experience.

Good that you have now got a Forces railcard. Be sure to check that railcard is selected when buying tickets as they can deem it an offence if the wrong railcard discount is applied.
Make a note of the expiry date and be sure to renew it when required too because there’s a good chance no one will remind you.
Lots of problems on this forum with un notice expired railcards.
 

spyinthesky

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2021
Messages
510
Location
Bulford
I'd pay it now rather than go to court.

I've no particular knowledge of how things work in the armed forces, but I would expect that if it went to court you would have to report this to your unit. I doubt if getting a train fare wrong would be career ending but you don't need the hassle.

Check whether you need to report out of court settlements as well.
There is no requirement to report an out of court settlement.
A court case is most definitely reportable however not career ending as unlike times gone by where you could also be charged for breaking one of many of the regulations for bringing the Army into disrepute.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,768
The bad news is cross country are very difficult to deal with on this stuff
Every train company would follow this incident up in the same way, and in this case a settlement has been offered at the outset which couldn't make it easier to deal with. The OP just has to pay the amount requested, and not even write a letter asking for that opportunity.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,271
Every train company would follow this incident up in the same way, and in this case a settlement has been offered at the outset which couldn't make it easier to deal with. The OP just has to pay the amount requested, and not even write a letter asking for that opportunity.
I agree.
My point was in the context of the op asking if there was a way around paying such a large amount.
 

Top