• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

northern rail debt recovery prosecutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2007
Messages
7,387
Location
Newcastle (unless I'm out)
They will be able to get proof of purchase if you can recall the date/time and where you bought it.
No.
For a cash sale, the only evidential trail will be of a ticket sold to unidentifiable persons. Evidence of a purchase requires an identifiable purchaser.

It appears (from the limited information available) that apple999 is unable to provide proof of purchase - the ticket would have been the most persuasive proof. Failure to provide such proof in retrospect does not, in itself, suggest any wrongdoing, it is only that such proof where it is available can assist in eliminating all the commonest forms of fare evasion.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

apple999

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2015
Messages
12
Yes there is the letter comes from a PO box in petersfield. However on the last letter it said send the reply to Hampshire. On this one it doesn't though. I have already sent it to peters field so will it reach them anyway.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,727
Location
Scotland
I'm going to tell you what happened.
Finally! And only 34 posts in! It is very, very unlikely that you will end up in court over this. The worst that is likely to happen is your parents will be asked by Nothern Rail to pay an £80 'charge'.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
I am concerned that I can't recall any mention of a parent or other adult helping you and judging from your posts it sounds like you're doing everything yourself, it's commendable that you are trying to sort it out but if you haven't got that sort of help I really recommend that you ask a parent, teacher or other responsible adult to help you. I know it may be difficult to admit that you've done something wrong but if the facts are as you've told us and taking into account your age I doubt that anyone who knows you is going to condemn you. The advice of this forum will be very useful but some help closer at hand would make things easier for you.

If I am completely wrong about this I apologise.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
If you have not done this or something similar before, then no they will not take you to court. Have you had any previous contact with rail authorities before for any reasons?

Phoning can be helpful but it is much more unpredictable than writing and so we usually advise writing. I don't know you of course but most teenage boys do not have the best phone voice so writing might be better.

You know your own relationship with your parents, friends and family so it is really up to you whether you involve someone else but if there's any adult that you can trust to help you then a letter from them, perhaps sent with your own letter, may be useful.
 

apple999

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2015
Messages
12
I have never been in trouble it's them before. I have had parents helping. They have been the ones writing the letters. I may not have mentioned them. They may not be on this forum but they have still been involved.
 

DaleCooper

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2015
Messages
3,542
Location
Mulholland Drive
I have never been in trouble it's them before. I have had parents helping. They have been the ones writing the letters. I may not have mentioned them. They may not be on this forum but they have still been involved.

Good to hear that, sorry that I misunderstood.
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
I am concerned that I can't recall any mention of a parent or other adult helping you and judging from your posts it sounds like you're doing everything yourself, it's commendable that you are trying to sort it out but if you haven't got that sort of help I really recommend that you ask a parent, teacher or other responsible adult to help you. I know it may be difficult to admit that you've done something wrong but if the facts are as you've told us and taking into account your age I doubt that anyone who knows you is going to condemn you. The advice of this forum will be very useful but some help closer at hand would make things easier for you.

If I am completely wrong about this I apologise.

I'd like to think that a letter on school headed paper signed by someone in authority would bring this to a swift conclusion.
 

apple999

Member
Joined
6 Aug 2015
Messages
12
So in the end I received a letter asking for 30 pounds administrative costs plus the fare. It says it has been dealt with by formal warning. I am really happy about this and I want to say thanks to everyone who has assisted me on this forum.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,223
So in the end I received a letter asking for 30 pounds administrative costs plus the fare. It says it has been dealt with by formal warning. I am really happy about this and I want to say thanks to everyone who has assisted me on this forum.

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you got a reasonable outcome.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top