• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Debt Recovery Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcv45

New Member
Joined
7 Jan 2014
Messages
2
Hello.

Today my letter arrived from the debt recovery and prosecutions unit. It says I was "spoken to for an alleged contravention of Railway Regulations .... before the company proceeds further with its investigations we would like to give you the opportunity to respond with your explanation concerning it"

The journey I take every day is a return from Bolton to Manchester. One day, I instead had to get off at Horwich on the return back (first time this has happened). When I arrived at Horwich I only purchased a return from Lostock and this is why they stopped me.

I know that I should have purchased a ticket for this different journey before getting on the train and I know it was stupid of me to buy the incorrect ticket once I arrived there. I don't even know why I did it, it's not like I even needed to use the return bit to lostock. I've been really stressed out and it's on my mind when I wake up and go to sleep.

I've been reading past threads on this site and it seem the best thing for me to do is write a letter of apology and hope they are generous enough to settle out of court. I'd really appreciate if I could get some feedback on my draft letter so far:

(also their letter was sent 29th december and says I have 2 weeks to respond, but I've only just received it today, I have to have a reply to them by sunday??)
.................................

Firstly I offer my sincerest apology for purchasing the incorrect ticket. Needless to say, I am embarrassed and ashamed by my action.

I travel to Manchester University every weekday by getting on the train at Bolton and purchasing a return ticket to Manchester. However, on this particular day, on my return journey I instead had to get off at Horwich Parkway, as I have part-time work at the Reebok Stadium when football games are on. This is the first time since working there that I have had to get off at Horwich like this – games are nearly always on a Saturday.
When I arrived at Horwich Parkway I incorrectly purchased a return from Lostock. I honestly can’t give an explanation for why I would do this; I had no reason or intention of even using the return part. I feel very foolish and am sorry for the trouble I have caused.

I have used trains for my daily commute to Manchester for many years now and have never done anything like this and can assure you I will certainly never do it again.

I would be extremely grateful if you would allow this matter to settle amicably and without involving the courts. I would of course cover the cost of the proper fare as well as any other costs you have incurred from perusing this matter.

I hope this can be agreed to and, again, I offer my sincerest apologies.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Why not buy a season ticket? They will think you are a serial fare evader, so probably best not to suggest you go every day.
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
You're correct in your approach to apologise, but I'd agree that there's no need to have all this circumstantial material in there. Simply state your embarrassment and regret. Do note that this is the first time that you've done this, and retain your offer to settle.

Given the quick turnaround desired, you might also get piece of mind from sending the letter by Special Delivery.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
It's a criminal offence to join a train without a ticket at a station where ticket-purchasing facilities exist. It is also a criminal offence to attempt to pay a short fare.

The good news is that Northern Rail is normally agreeable to settling matters like this out of court as long as you haven't come to its attention before, but in this case you are likely to be asked for a payment of £85.50.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,825
Firstly I offer my sincerest apology for purchasing the incorrect ticket. Needless to say, I am embarrassed and ashamed by my action.

I travel to Manchester University every weekday by getting on the train at Bolton and purchasing a return ticket to Manchester. However, on this particular day, on my return journey I instead had to get off at Horwich Parkway, as I have part-time work at the Reebok Stadium when football games are on. This is the first time since working there that I have had to get off at Horwich like this – games are nearly always on a Saturday.
When I arrived at Horwich Parkway I incorrectly purchased a return from Lostock. I honestly can’t give an explanation for why I would do this; I had no reason or intention of even using the return part. I feel very foolish and am sorry for the trouble I have caused.

I have used trains for my daily commute to Manchester for many years now and have never done anything like this and can assure you I will certainly never do it again.

I would be extremely grateful if you would allow this matter to settle amicably and without involving the courts. I would of course cover the cost of the proper fare as well as any other costs you have incurred from perusing this matter.

I hope this can be agreed to and, again, I offer my sincerest apologies.
You might want to think about your wording. To me it reads as though the mistake was in buying a return, rather than in buying from Lostock. And you can't think why you would do that? I can, and I expect that Northern can.
 

zcv45

New Member
Joined
7 Jan 2014
Messages
2
Why not buy a season ticket? They will think you are a serial fare evader, so probably best not to suggest you go every day.

I am at uni I so have late starts - so buying daily off peak tickets can work out cheaper than a season. I think I will just word it as "I return from Bolton to Manchester each day"

You're correct in your approach to apologise, but I'd agree that there's no need to have all this circumstantial material in there. Simply state your embarrassment and regret. Do note that this is the first time that you've done this, and retain your offer to settle.

Given the quick turnaround desired, you might also get piece of mind from sending the letter by Special Delivery.

I really want to keep my message short but I feel as if I do not explain why this is a 1-off they will assume it is a common thing.

You might want to think about your wording. To me it reads as though the mistake was in buying a return, rather than in buying from Lostock. And you can't think why you would do that? I can, and I expect that Northern can.

Like I say I had no intention of using the return, I wouldn't be catching any more trains that night. The mistake was buying from Lostock I think
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,467
Like I say I had no intention of using the return, I wouldn't be catching any more trains that night.

I think Haywain's point is that the emphasis of your letter should not be on buying a return instead of a single, because that is immaterial, but on the fact that you asked for a short ticket.

There is always a reason why people ask for a short ticket, and I can think of several. Admitting that you made a stupid decision can be more conducive to a positive response than evading the question altogether.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top