having noticed Northern were offering £10 day rangers for use on Northern Rail only yesterday, I decided to make the most of this offer.
I would start in Leeds but to get there I needed to take a 15 mile bus ride. My nearest station is actually Ulleskelf but it has a lack of trains and the bus took me straight to the station anyway so I opted for that option. Once in possession of my day ranger, I headed across to Platform 9 to board the 08:49 to Carlisle as far as Keighley.
One of the reasons for the trip was to test out my new Canon 70-200 f/4 lens so I got it out and to my delight, 91110 in its beautiful Battle of Britatin livery was stood on Platform 8. I was hoping to see this today so was glad to get it before I even set journey on a train.
Shortly after, a 153(?) and 158905 coupled together arrived into Platform 9 with presumably an ECS from Neville Hill to form my service. I chose to sit in the 153 area as I knew that I would later be travelling on a 158 from Leeds back to York.
Another present of mine was a monopod and on arrival at Keighley, I noticed I left my monopod on the train. If only I got on a more local service than the Carlisle one. I planned to get the 09:52 back to Leeds and whilst waiting got a few photos of 333's and of an odd looking single carriaged DMU on the 09:40 from Keighley - Oxenhope, I will post photos later.
Before too long, my train arrvied in now horrendous conditions. A Class 144 arrvied. I would have waited until 10:00 to catch a 333 as I have not travelled on one for many years now but with the weather I just wanted to get back to Leeds as quick as possible so I could get some 'brunch' and head to Doncaster.
On arrival in Leeds I headed straight for McDonalds and got my meal then headed off to Doncaster on the 11:20. A 322, formerly of ScotRail pulled in and before too long I was on my way. Unfortunately the Northern Rail services from Leeds to Doncaster are local stoppers but this gave me time to look through at my photos and delete my least favourite ones.
Doncaster was as wet and gloomy as both Leeds and Keighley. Not many spotters today either but knowing I had a good hour and a half until my train back to Leeds, I whipped my camera and new lens out. I really could have done with my monopod as the conditions were getting worse and as the day continued, the sky became duller and duller. Around 6 freights came through in the hour and a half I was there, mainly GBRf's which seem to be becoming more common than Fregithliner's and DB Schenkers at 'Donny' now.
My train pulled in at around 13:05, with still 20 minutes before departure but I decided to chance nothing else coming and jumped on board. I sat in the ex first class section of the 322 and passed the journey by looking through photos I had taken. Despite the weather, they weren't too bad but that monopod would really have been handy.
The weather was still terrible as I arrived in Leeds. My train was due to depart at 14:41, this time taking me to York. The 158 arrived and I jumped on board to escape the now freezing cold conditions in the Leeds station concourse. Passing Colton Junction, I noticed 3 or 4 66's and many wagons were parked up with engineering works taking place in the area, meaning 2 line running out of a possible 4.
On arrival in York, I had plenty of time until my lift arrived but by now, it was too dark to get any decent photos so I kept upto date with the latest football scores. The teams I support are York City and Newcastle United (who lost embarrisingly today at Arsenal.....).
I would start in Leeds but to get there I needed to take a 15 mile bus ride. My nearest station is actually Ulleskelf but it has a lack of trains and the bus took me straight to the station anyway so I opted for that option. Once in possession of my day ranger, I headed across to Platform 9 to board the 08:49 to Carlisle as far as Keighley.
One of the reasons for the trip was to test out my new Canon 70-200 f/4 lens so I got it out and to my delight, 91110 in its beautiful Battle of Britatin livery was stood on Platform 8. I was hoping to see this today so was glad to get it before I even set journey on a train.
Shortly after, a 153(?) and 158905 coupled together arrived into Platform 9 with presumably an ECS from Neville Hill to form my service. I chose to sit in the 153 area as I knew that I would later be travelling on a 158 from Leeds back to York.
Another present of mine was a monopod and on arrival at Keighley, I noticed I left my monopod on the train. If only I got on a more local service than the Carlisle one. I planned to get the 09:52 back to Leeds and whilst waiting got a few photos of 333's and of an odd looking single carriaged DMU on the 09:40 from Keighley - Oxenhope, I will post photos later.
Before too long, my train arrvied in now horrendous conditions. A Class 144 arrvied. I would have waited until 10:00 to catch a 333 as I have not travelled on one for many years now but with the weather I just wanted to get back to Leeds as quick as possible so I could get some 'brunch' and head to Doncaster.
On arrival in Leeds I headed straight for McDonalds and got my meal then headed off to Doncaster on the 11:20. A 322, formerly of ScotRail pulled in and before too long I was on my way. Unfortunately the Northern Rail services from Leeds to Doncaster are local stoppers but this gave me time to look through at my photos and delete my least favourite ones.
Doncaster was as wet and gloomy as both Leeds and Keighley. Not many spotters today either but knowing I had a good hour and a half until my train back to Leeds, I whipped my camera and new lens out. I really could have done with my monopod as the conditions were getting worse and as the day continued, the sky became duller and duller. Around 6 freights came through in the hour and a half I was there, mainly GBRf's which seem to be becoming more common than Fregithliner's and DB Schenkers at 'Donny' now.
My train pulled in at around 13:05, with still 20 minutes before departure but I decided to chance nothing else coming and jumped on board. I sat in the ex first class section of the 322 and passed the journey by looking through photos I had taken. Despite the weather, they weren't too bad but that monopod would really have been handy.
The weather was still terrible as I arrived in Leeds. My train was due to depart at 14:41, this time taking me to York. The 158 arrived and I jumped on board to escape the now freezing cold conditions in the Leeds station concourse. Passing Colton Junction, I noticed 3 or 4 66's and many wagons were parked up with engineering works taking place in the area, meaning 2 line running out of a possible 4.
On arrival in York, I had plenty of time until my lift arrived but by now, it was too dark to get any decent photos so I kept upto date with the latest football scores. The teams I support are York City and Newcastle United (who lost embarrisingly today at Arsenal.....).
Last edited: