Having raised this issue, I have found the discussions very interesting, and I’m sorry to see that some seem to be now ‘arguing’ about technologies: I, along with millions of others, rarely use social media. I have four other comments:-
(1) Passenger Focus advise: “Train operator response times are set out in their Passenger Charter and I can confirm that Northern Rail Passenger Charter states that they aim to respond to complaints within 20 working days. Northern Rail's Passenger Charter is approved by the Department for Transport as part of their franchise agreement.” They also suggest that if it is not possible to give an immediate answer: “ . . we would hope that Northern, or the relevant operator, would write to passengers and keep them updated on progress.”
(2) I have neither complained nor made a fuss; I commented on the promised response time in the auto-reply. I appreciate that many orgs have these sort of target times. However, I would not expect any to make an initial response in that time-frame: the final answer may well take longer, but I would expect a prompt indication from someone (not an auto-reply system) that the matter is being dealt with. I sent the same query to National Rail using an online form and their auto-reply reads: “A member of our team will be in touch within 24 hours.” I had an answer from a member of staff within that time.
(3) In fact I received a satisfactory answer from Northern within 24 hours. The issue is, then, with the wording of their auto-reply: the circumstances in Passenger Focus comment: " . . we would hope that Northern, or the relevant operator, would write to passengers and keep them updated on progress." could be indicated by Northern in their auto-reply message.
(4) I was a rail commuter for many years, and in my experience the most infuriating part of rail problems wasn't the problems themselves but the lack of information, or even any indication that somebody cared. It's all about good communications - and customer perceptions.