• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - complimentary travel ticket validity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
"Your flyer and the publicity say if one person is travelling, it's valid for one day only and to date one box"

I don't think the flyer is specific about only one person travelling, but I can't remember for sure.

I certainly mis-remembered the email they sent, it actually says

You have won two free train tickets with Northern Rail.
and

Congratulations, you are the lucky winner of two free day return tickets to anywhere across the north of England with Northern.
(no mention of two people needing to travel).

And they say that it may take a month to get a reply from emails to customer services!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,626
Location
LBK
And they say that it may take a month to get a reply from emails to customer services!

That is probably because they'll treat all contact with their office as a complaint and process it in line with their service level agreement. Certainly, for a simple query I'd advise a phone call (SayNoTo0870 may help...!) ;)
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I'm sorry to rant, but I cannot abide dishonesty, or the take-take-take attitude of some people. We criticise ATOC and individual TOCs for their apparent greed and dishonesty. It is not okay if the shoe is on the other foot.

And I can't abide your implied assumption that the OP is on the take, greedy and dishonest.

Whatever the intended validity of the free tickets, should they be used by two people on one day or one person on two days, the 'cost' to Northern for carrying those people/that person would be the same.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,626
Location
LBK
And I can't abide your implied assumption that the OP is on the take, greedy and dishonest.

Fair enough. I have been a little harsh, which I didn't mean. I have edited my post on reflection, and I apologise to the OP, harz99 for my needless comment.
 

VideozVideoz

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2010
Messages
580
Well i've just checked my email confirmation (as I also won this prize) and it states:

"Congratulations, you are the lucky winner of two free day return tickets to anywhere across the north of England with Northern."

This means 1 person can use the ticket on 2 seperate days OR 2 people can use it for just 1 day.
 

harz99

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2009
Messages
913
Well, journeys completed with absolutely no hassle, no comment even.

Passed four on train ticket checks and four barrier checks at LDS.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think the flyer is specific about only one person travelling, but I can't remember for sure.

I certainly mis-remembered the email they sent, it actually says


and


(no mention of two people needing to travel).

And they say that it may take a month to get a reply from emails to customer services!

Thanks for posting that; I didn't keep the email to refer back to, so that is most helpful!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
AlterEgo; apology accepted.

Any chance you could amend the last sentence of post 25 as well?
 

tony_mac

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2009
Messages
3,626
Location
Liverpool
I asked "Am I allowed to use this ticket by myself on two separate days instead?"

It is no problem to use the voucher for single use, just complete one date box at a time and you can use it on two separate days.

I'm tempted to do a Huyton to Newcastle circular trip, but that may just be a little too extreme!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top