• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail add short formations to Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I don't know how useful these will be - Will passengers who are flexible on travel plans avoid them? Will passengers just say why did you shorten service x and not service y instead? I noticed one passenger has asked what kind of carriages will run the shortened Southport service and Northern have responded saying "@NoelOakes It is 2 152 carrriages."

Short formations this evening:
Northern Rail said:
15:37 #Leeds to #ManchesterVictoria 2 coaches instead of 3
15:58 Southport to Huddersfield due 17:54. Will be 2 coaches instead of 4.
16:23 #ManchesterPiccadilly to #Marple will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 4.
16:52 #Marple to #ManchesterPiccadilly will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 4.
17:18 #ManchesterVictoria to #Leeds will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 3.
17:18# ManchesterPiccadilly to #NewMillsCentral will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 4.
17:47 #NewMillsCentral to #ManchesterPiccadilly will be formed of 2 coaches instead of 4.
18:14 #ManchesterPiccadilly to #NewMillsCentral 2 coaches instead of 4.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
I don't know how useful these will be - Will passengers who are flexible on travel plans avoid them? Will passengers just say why did you shorten service x and not service y instead? I noticed one passenger has asked what kind of carriages will run the shortened Southport service and Northern have responded saying "@NoelOakes It is 2 152 carrriages."

Short formations this evening:
Be one for enthuiasts that being a brand new type of train
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
it is clearly just a mistake about a class 152

useful information if you are planning your journey home and want a seat
 

greatkingrat

Established Member
Joined
20 Jan 2011
Messages
3,314
Presumably at the time they posted that, they didn't know how much time would be made up. It now appears to be only 10 late at Salford Crescent.

As for the short formation reports, I am surprised they haven't done this before. I know FCC (and probably most of the London TOCs) show on their websites if a train is say 4 coaches instead of 8.
 

Silv1983

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
527
Location
Somewhere in Stockport
The person doing the typing on twitter is obviously not from an operational background - and has probably been told by a supervisor standing over his or her shoulder that it is a 150/2 - pronounced "One fifty [stroke] two" by many in the industry.
 

brompton rail

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2009
Messages
754
Location
Doncaster
This info has been on their app for a while, but Northern started tweeting it to about a month ago.

Handy to know that the 07.39 Doncaster to Sheffield is formed of 2 coaches instead of 4. Then you can either rush for the 07.35 TPE and stand all the way ( but for only 25 mins rather than 40), or catch the 07.48 Northern which is a 158 but is slow and takes 45 mins, or stand on XC 07.56 but only for a shade over 20 mins!
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
I imagine it's for people who are in no great rush to get home and would rather sacrifice time to get a seat. It's not dissimilar to LM's seat guide detailing the chances of getting a train
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Handy to know that the 07.39 Doncaster to Sheffield is formed of 2 coaches instead of 4.

I'm not sure what the usual traction is for that service, which highlights a potential issue. A 3 car 144 may fill in for a 4 car EMU - the 4 car EMU may not normally be crowded so to the passenger 3 carriages instead of 4 doesn't sound too bad, but then it's a lot more than 25% less capacity. And how can Northern get around that in a way that the average passenger will understand? It'll be difficult.

To make it even harder if a Northern EMU service out of Piccadilly was cancelled due to a crew shortage. Northern could then use that 323 on a service booked to be a 4 car 142 (which has happened before.) The 323, however, has one less carriage but a higher seating capacity than the 4 car 142.
 
Joined
13 Apr 2011
Messages
649
Location
Helsby
I think this is a good service. What I would like is easy access to what train type is running. I travel ATW to Man Pic but on occasion will change to Northern at Newton Le Willows and go into Man Vic. Whilst ATW are nearly always a 175, knowing what Northern train is on a service would allow me to work around Pacers, which are in my opinion not fit for purpose at peak times on busy routes.
 

Tilly

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2011
Messages
26
I can see that it's handy for people who can choose alternative TOCs to balance out the standing room only or a shorter time. If I'm travelling to Manchester then my only choice is Northern. I'm not too sure I want to know that I'm going to be cramped from Wigan. While be good to know train class though.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,200
it is clearly just a mistake about a class 152

useful information if you are planning your journey home and want a seat

152 was the designation for a half-156 in the vein of 155>153; only the latter conversion went ahead though... 150/2 that would be.

A useful Twitter service I must agree.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,579
Location
Macclesfield
Is that a usual number of short forms?
One diagram on the Leeds – Caldervale corridor and one, possibly two, diagrams shortformed on the New Mills/Marple run, plus the lone Southport to Huddersfield service – A fairly modest number of shortformed diagrams that probably isn’t atypical of Northern services at the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top