• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Practice at Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,885
Location
East Anglia
Punctuality has been astounding at GA since the Stadler revolution and the drivers both releasing & closing doors allowing conductors to concentrate on revenue protection. They only intervene by closing doors in exceptional circumstances. This however was only brought in by a loophole in an agreement dating back to around 2000 with ex-Anglia Railways drivers. Bringing it in elsewhere I suspect would be very controversial indeed.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,825
The actual door opening procedure isn't any slower on a 195 than it is on a 150/153/155/156/158. The time consuming bit is the conductor getting to the release panels in the saloons when the train is busy, and occasionally conductors getting to the panels just as the train stops and then faffing looking for a key
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
It’s awkward the way 195/331s have to be opened and closed from within the saloon rather than at the end

Why's it awkward? I haven't been on one of the new Merseyrail trains but on the old ones the guards released the doors for the saloon, and moved up and down the train as they did it. So if someone left a bike, pram, suitcase near the doors, the guards would see it and could ask for it to be moved.

When I was on a new Northern train that got stopped at a red signal, the guard made an annoucement from the middle carriage about the delay. Someone didn't hear it properly and then asked the guard for clarification. That wouldn't have happened if the guard had been in the rear cab.

Assumptions that an activity is safe, because theoretically it should be in normal operation, isn’t safe practice in safety critical operations.

Let’s say you had a 2x2 car train, the driver is distracted/fatigued/another reason, and stops at a 2 car marker rather than a 4 car leaving 3 doors overhanging the platform. Doors get released, distracted passenger on phone doesn’t look and falls from train to ground from the rear door. RAIB get involved, staff get investigated, potential legal action.

Don't modern trains have a facility to automatically keep the doors on the rear carriage from opening at certain stations with a short platform? Can't the same system be used to prevent driver error?

All this risk can be mitigated by the guard taking 5 seconds to check the train is fully within the station before releasing the doors.

But it isn't always five seconds. If the guard tries to do too many ticket checks between stations they can spend 15 seconds fighting their way through passengers to get to doors, before they can even put the key in to release. When I've been waiting for Northern services there's been more than one occasion when I've seen a driver stick his head out of the window ahead of showing a "WTF?" look to a guard who has been super slow at releasing the doors. Given the reliability of Northern's units the driver's probably worried about the doors being jammed and the service being terminated short when the guard doesn't appear.
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,560
Location
Lichfield
To check if the train, that has been stopped there for considerably less than 100+ years, is in the right place maybe?

If that is the case, then Northern need a few meetings with some of the DOO operators to see how they manage to stop in the right place...
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
If that is the case, then Northern need a few meetings with some of the DOO operators to see how they manage to stop in the right place...
They quite often don't.

Some trains are better than others. We have some 170/4s whereby you can work the doors from any coach in the train on either side as well as cabs and when you want to close the guards' local door it shuts as soon as you turn the switch without sounding the hustle alarm.

We also have some 3 car 170/2s formerly of GA and TfW which are an absolute nightmare on local services as you can only operate the doors from the rear cab or the middle coach saloon. They're nice trains but very unpopular with the traincrew.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,825
Why's it awkward?

On crush loaded trains getting either a third or two-thirds of the way down the saloon can take a fair while. Doesn't help that there are stations on the Calder Valley line (Rochdale and Halifax, plus Bradford, Leeds and Victoria depending on platform) with platforms on the right requiring the conductor to move twice as far down the saloon as the panels are offset
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,671
Maybe I’ve missed it then. Could you link to research that confirms this.
I haven't seen any research. It's just common sense. Not the person you quoted nor I said it's 100% safe or foolproof and if we had we would be wrong and you would be right. But if one guard stops one driver or one driver stops one guard , then it's safer. Posts upthread stated that they have seen several times that drivers had stopped in the wrong place and the guard buzzed them to draw forward , so if those drivers had of been doo that would of been doors open when non platformed. I have driven doo and now guarded and I can tell you that when I was doo it was almost a weekly occurrence that a driver would release doors on the wrong side of the train or stop short and not completely platformed or sitting at a red signal. Of course I don't know what goes on at every depot , but since guarded only one instance I know of that doors were opened on a stop short. One in two years guarded versus weekly when doo. 100% safer no . Safer even slightly , absolutely.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
On crush loaded trains getting either a third or two-thirds of the way down the saloon can take a fair while.

Is it any worse than trying to get to the door controls on a packed 156 or 158?

But if one guard stops one driver or one driver stops one guard , then it's safer.

Does the driver signal to the guard that the train has come to a complete stop, or does the guard presume it when the train stops moving?

At Deansgate trains destined for Piccadilly can end up getting a red signal meaning they have to stop there, even when they aren't scheduled to. Is it possible a guard might forget the train isn't scheduled to stop at Deansgate and to start releasing the doors, when the drivers getting ready to move off?
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,671
Is it any worse than trying to get to the door controls on a packed 156 or 158?



Does the driver signal to the guard that the train has come to a complete stop, or does the guard presume it when the train stops moving?

At Deansgate trains destined for Piccadilly can end up getting a red signal meaning they have to stop there, even when they aren't scheduled to. Is it possible a guard might forget the train isn't scheduled to stop at Deansgate and to start releasing the doors, when the drivers getting ready to move off?
I don't work for Northern and have no idea about Deansgate . But if they did , although it's an incident it's not unsafe because any passenger alighting would step onto a platform.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,894
If that is the case, then Northern need a few meetings with some of the DOO operators to see how they manage to stop in the right place...
Would be a good start. On DOO areas I've been, pretty much every platform has had appropriate stop markers.

Contrast that to the places I sign. Some platforms you may have variously either 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 6 car trains calling. The number of stations with any stop marker is tiny. So effectively it is entirely left up to the Driver's experience to stop in a suitable place.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,124
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
On crush loaded trains getting either a third or two-thirds of the way down the saloon can take a fair while. Doesn't help that there are stations on the Calder Valley line (Rochdale and Halifax, plus Bradford, Leeds and Victoria depending on platform) with platforms on the right requiring the conductor to move twice as far down the saloon as the panels are offset
On the contrary....the main problem that I have seen is when the platform is on the left and the conductor has to fight their way out of the rear cab to reach the second set of doors. Being virtually an off-the-peg Spanish design of suburban/regional unit - and Spanish railways normally run on the right hand track - the nearest set of door controls to the rear cab are on that side.
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,825
On the contrary....the main problem that I have seen is when the platform is on the left and the conductor has to fight their way out of the rear cab to reach the second set of doors. Being virtually an off-the-peg Spanish design of suburban/regional unit - and Spanish railways normally run on the right hand track - the nearest set of door controls to the rear cab are on that side.

You're right - and I doubted myself as soon as I wrote my post - but the point is the panels being in the saloon is daft, and them being offset is even worse
 

td97

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2017
Messages
1,562
The actual door opening procedure isn't any slower on a 195 than it is on a 150/153/155/156/158. The time consuming bit is the conductor getting to the release panels in the saloons when the train is busy, and occasionally conductors getting to the panels just as the train stops and then faffing looking for a key
The door opening mechanism is not the issue. The guards often struggle with the release buttons, or the release buttons can be unresponsive. The guards know when the service is busy and can arrive at the door panel in time for the service stopping at a station.
 

Topological

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2023
Messages
4,331
Location
Swansea
Freight wagon clipped the edge of the platform, pulling away coping stones and revealing a void under the platform . Jan 2015. There's an RAIB report available online.

Happened in the dark, not reported because went unnoticed until a passenger train appeared a few hours later.
Was on that one, wasn't like the normal commute of the time.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
I don't work for Northern and have no idea about Deansgate . But if they did , although it's an incident it's not unsafe because any passenger alighting would step onto a platform.

So does the guard starting the door release process, prevent the driver from moving the train forward if the signal goes green? I don't think the driver is going to wait for a signal from the guard if it's not scheduled to stop there. I wasn't thinking about it being an issue for a passenger to alight on to a platform. I was thinking more of the guard being left behind and a set of doors open as the train moves on to Oxford Road station.
 
Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,671
So does the guard starting the door release process, prevent the driver from moving the train forward if the signal goes green? The driver isn't exactly going to wait for a signal from the guard if it's not scheduled to stop there. I wasn't thinking about it being an issue for a passenger to alight on to a platform. I was thinking more of the guard being left behind and a set of doors open as the train moves on to Oxford Road station.
I haven't signed every traction , but all traction I have ever signed can't move with doors open , you can't get interlock. Of course again two people can both make a mistake. But when I was doo , drivers would release doors themselves where they shouldn't of on occasion. I can't release doors now without going through a whole process that I rarely do.
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,894
So does the guard starting the door release process, prevent the driver from moving the train forward if the signal goes green? The driver isn't exactly going to wait for a signal from the guard if it's not scheduled to stop there. I wasn't thinking about it being an issue for a passenger to alight on to a platform. I was thinking more of the guard being left behind and a set of doors open as the train moves on to Oxford Road station.
@LowLevel may be able to confirm but I suspect there is a local instruction that if stopped in the platform due to signals that the driver gives the guard 2-2 on the buzzer (do not release doors).
 

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,608
Location
Wales
This is one of these issues where the public can understand when there is the same practice in the same type of train, with similar staffing, across all TOCs. What seems impossible to justify is different practices between TOCs or different practices between depots.
I agree. All the rulebook requires is that the crew satisfy themselves that the train is correctly platformed. In most locations this can be done from the doorway. However many operators have gold-plated this and require their guards to physically step onto the platform, so that they have been seen to check. It's a performance for the CCTV.

Don't modern trains have a facility to automatically keep the doors on the rear carriage from opening at certain stations with a short platform? Can't the same system be used to prevent driver error?
For a price. Some units use balises to know precisely which doors are platformed. The cheaper form of ASDO on the other hand just knows how many doors should be platformed at a given station, it has no idea if the driver has actually stopped at the four car mark or the two car mark. It just goes "three coaches should be platformed here, so I'll open three coaches" even though the driver has stopped short and one of those coaches is off of the platform.

Given the reliability of Northern's units the driver's probably worried about the doors being jammed and the service being terminated short when the guard doesn't appear.
More likely to be concerned that the guard may have been thumped.

If that is the case, then Northern need a few meetings with some of the DOO operators to see how they manage to stop in the right place...
In the case of Burnham (Bucks) by sticking all of the car stop marks right down the far end of the platform, leaving passengers with a very long walk from the entrance when a two car Turbo is diagrammed.

Is it any worse than trying to get to the door controls on a packed 156 or 158?
The door controls on each side of a 15x unit are (sensibly) located next to each other. You don't have to elbow your way through the length of the saloon for the one on the opposite side between Oxford Road and Piccadilly.

So does the guard starting the door release process, prevent the driver from moving the train forward if the signal goes green? I don't think the driver is going to wait for a signal from the guard if it's not scheduled to stop there. I wasn't thinking about it being an issue for a passenger to alight on to a platform. I was thinking more of the guard being left behind and a set of doors open as the train moves on to Oxford Road station.
On any multiple units in service today the door circuits are interlocked with the brakes. In the days of slam door stock with no traction/brake interlock it was necessary to give the tip to start away from a station if stopped out of course.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
@LowLevel may be able to confirm but I suspect there is a local instruction that if stopped in the platform due to signals that the driver gives the guard 2-2 on the buzzer (do not release doors).
You just wouldn't open the doors if you're not booked to call at Deansgate. It happens all the time. If the driver hears the door key go on (it makes a particular clicking sound on some traction with the relays/solenoids, or a light comes on) they might give 2-2 as a courtesy but it's not a requirement.

One place you might well get 2-2 if stopping in the B end at Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13/14 where the local instruction is not to release the doors unless advised by the person in charge of the platform.

In a nutshell 2-2 is only used if there is a particular reason either the guard or driver doesn't want the doors releasing at a booked call - the second part of the code is "driver/guard to confer".
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
The door controls on each side of a 15x unit are (sensibly) located next to each other. You don't have to elbow your way through the length of the saloon for the one on the opposite side between Oxford Road and Piccadilly.

But you would have to clear standing passengers away from the door on one side, only to tell them to move back ahead of the next station.

On any multiple units in service today the door circuits are interlocked with the brakes. In the days of slam door stock with no traction/brake interlock it was necessary to give the tip to start away from a station if stopped out of course.

So presumably that includes the guard's door that slams shut on the 150s?

You just wouldn't open the doors if you're not booked to call at Deansgate.

It normally wouldn't happen but my question was what if the guard made an error and forgot it didn't stop there, in the same way someone proposed a driver would forget they have a 4 car train and would stop at the 2 car board for a reason against driver release. I've never experienced a driver forgetting. If anything they approach more slowly when the train is the maximum length for the platform, to ensure they keep all doors on the platform.
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,926
@LowLevel . I would like to know whether you regard one person safer or two.
Personally? As long as the second person is on the ball definitely two as it leaves the person at the pointy end to get on with concentrating on what's going on in front of them, and being involved gives the second person access to a lot of information that is much more use to them than the driver.

I have however had cause to do a lot of reading into the matter of PTI and train dispatch of late and it is a fact that the RSSB state their position is that they feel 1 person focused on the task is generally safer, as the benefits of a second person don't exceed the additional risks of additional cooks spoiling the broth.

I don't personally agree, but it is a fact that that is what they have published.
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
If that is the case, then Northern need a few meetings with some of the DOO operators to see how they manage to stop in the right place...

Quite badly. Stop short and door release is shockingly common
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,671
Personally? As long as the second person is on the ball definitely two as it leaves the person at the pointy end to get on with concentrating on what's going on in front of them, and being involved gives the second person access to a lot of information that is much more use to them than the driver.

I have however had cause to do a lot of reading into the matter of PTI and train dispatch of late and it is a fact that the RSSB state their position is that they feel 1 person focused on the task is generally safer, as the benefits of a second person don't exceed the additional risks of additional cooks spoiling the broth.

I don't personally agree, but it is a fact that that is what they have published.
I don't agree either. I know you said earlier about dispatch against a red , but that happened a few times at my old doo toc . Driver concentrating on cameras and driving past a red. Now guarded and no camera to watch I'm fixated on the signal. Also I either pop the cab door on a red so the guard can't get interlock or I get out and stand on the platform. If you mitigate against incidents then that's double the mitigation.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Quite badly. Stop short and door release is shockingly common
How common at your intense doo toc .
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
For a price. Some units use balises to know precisely which doors are platformed.

Which system is that ? I'd be interested to know which system is the most accurate. I've driven through the Thameslink core and their (FASDO) system (Fully Automated SDO) is very easily overridden but is pretty decent.


The cheaper form of ASDO on the other hand just knows how many doors should be platformed at a given station, it has no idea if the driver has actually stopped at the four car mark or the two car mark. It just goes "three coaches should be platformed here, so I'll open three coaches" even though the driver has stopped short and one of those coaches is off of the platform.

We have a balise and does exactly this. It simply tells the train how many doors and once you are past it, it's game on for whatever the Driver does.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

How common at your intense doo toc .

I wouldn't be allowed to post statistics but it's crazy high. I think we had 3 just last week :/
 
Last edited:

Krokodil

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2023
Messages
6,608
Location
Wales
But you would have to clear standing passengers away from the door on one side, only to tell them to move back ahead of the next station.
A damned sight easier than trying to get from one end of the coach to the other. Vestibules (even in 158s) are large enough that people can stand two deep, therefore able to shuffle around each other. Aisles however are single file unless you're pretty skinny.

So presumably that includes the guard's door that slams shut on the 150s?
I don't sign 150/1 but I understand that the crew doors are not accessed by the public.

I've never experienced a driver forgetting.
I have. Perhaps when posting you need to consider how often you actually travel, and weigh that against the experience of the staff who practically spend their lives on trains.

I have however had cause to do a lot of reading into the matter of PTI and train dispatch of late and it is a fact that the RSSB state their position is that they feel 1 person focused on the task is generally safer, as the benefits of a second person don't exceed the additional risks of additional cooks spoiling the broth.

I don't personally agree, but it is a fact that that is what they have published.
Is this the same RSSB who were going around a traincrew depot some years back, extolling the virtues of replacing diversionary route knowledge with an iPad? I long since came to the conclusion that they just exist to implement the DfT's latest money-saving wheeze.
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,648
Location
Greater Manchester
northwitchcat said:
Krokodil said:
On any multiple units in service today the door circuits are interlocked with the brakes.
So presumably that includes the guard's door that slams shut on the 150s?
I don't sign 150/1 but I understand that the crew doors are not accessed by the public.
I don't see anything specifically talking about passengers there.
(and yes the 150/1 guard doors aren't used by passengers)
 

Lemmy99uk

Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
563
I haven't seen any research. It's just common sense.
Much as you would like that to be the case I’m afraid it’s just not true.

There have been plenty of occasions where 2 people being involved has caused confusion resulting in an incident.

Unless someone can provide accurate figures for the numbers of incidents with the different operating methods we can’t make a decision on which, if either, method is the safest.

I’m afraid ‘common sense’ just isn’t good enough in circumstances like this.
 

baz962

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2017
Messages
3,671
Much as you would like that to be the case I’m afraid it’s just not true.

There have been plenty of occasions where 2 people being involved has caused confusion resulting in an incident.

Unless someone can provide accurate figures for the numbers of incidents with the different operating methods we can’t make a decision on which, if either, method is the safest.

I’m afraid ‘common sense’ just isn’t good enough in circumstances like this.
It really is true. I didn't say it doesn't happen with two , just less likely to. I happen to have driven doo and now guarded. I work with a lot of drivers and only one I know is considering going back to doo . Many took a paycut to go guarded and all of them feel safer. When doo I myself nearly left a platform on a red and nearly released doors sitting at a red and nowhere near a platform , my fingers were about a centimetre from the door buttons. Not even one near miss guarded . Sorry but it's safer , not 100% but it is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top