• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Penalty Fare issued

Status
Not open for further replies.

rde77775

New Member
Joined
30 Jan 2025
Messages
2
Location
manchester
Been issued with a penalty fair notice today as I genuinely forgot to buy my train ticket to work and back this morning.

The revenue enforcement officer said that I should appeal it and be honest that I forgot and show evidence that I have bought this ticket every week day for the past year.

Is there anything else I could do to avoid the penalty fair?

Northern rail btw
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
If you travelled without a ticket, you actually committed a criminal offence and could have been reported for prosecution with a subsequent criminal record. A Penalty Fare is a non-criminal way of dealing with this, the only record being with Northern. Generally best to pay at the reduced rate. However if you post the paperwork here and give more details of the when/where of your journey it may be possible to identify an error which could invalidate the penalty, however I wouldn’t bank on this.

Forgetting to buy a ticket won’t be good enough, you either had a ticket or you didn’t.
 

rde77775

New Member
Joined
30 Jan 2025
Messages
2
Location
manchester
I’ve just checked and it says it was issued at east didsbury, but it was, in fact issued at around Alderley Edge. There’s no other incorrect details though
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,147
Location
Wilmslow
I’ve just checked and it says it was issued at east didsbury, but it was, in fact issued at around Alderley Edge. There’s no other incorrect details though
I can’t infer anything more from what you’ve added; I think you need to provide more information if you want more helpful feedback.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
@rde77775. Welcome to the forum.

Please note the following...


This asks for certain information. Could you oblige?

If you could also upload a copy of the Penalty Fare Notice itself, as @jfollows has suggested, that would be useful. Please cover up any name and address and case reference number showing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top