py_megapixel
Established Member
With enough of Northern's fleet now in service for us to see what the new trains are like on most routes, I thought it would be nice to speculate about what could have served the North better. Assume that your suggestion needs to cover a similar set of diagrams to the Civities (i.e. full fleet replacement is not an option but you could order more or longer trains for more capacity if you thought it was justified), what type of train (or mixture of types of train) would you have ordered?
I'll start by saying whatever was ordered should have had better seating. Some of the routes these trains are allocated to are quite long and the Fainsa "Ironing Boards" simply aren't adequate. (However for shorter journeys up to half an hour or so they are perfectly fine). I do think that a distinction should have been made between the regional express (Northern Connect) and commuter stock, perhaps with higher density seating and no tables in the commuter variant, and an extra toilet and more comfortable seats in the regional variant.
However there are undoubtedly other things that could have been improved. So that's what I created this thread for.
I'll start by saying whatever was ordered should have had better seating. Some of the routes these trains are allocated to are quite long and the Fainsa "Ironing Boards" simply aren't adequate. (However for shorter journeys up to half an hour or so they are perfectly fine). I do think that a distinction should have been made between the regional express (Northern Connect) and commuter stock, perhaps with higher density seating and no tables in the commuter variant, and an extra toilet and more comfortable seats in the regional variant.
However there are undoubtedly other things that could have been improved. So that's what I created this thread for.