• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern line train doors closing prematurely

Status
Not open for further replies.

H&I

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2023
Messages
264
Location
United Kingdom
One day, I was alighting from a Northern line train at Euston when I noticed that the set of doors I had just passed through closed behind me, whilst people were still boarding, and trapping someone. People already onboard had to hold the doors open to free the person and allow the rest of the group to board. Looking along the platform, I could see that only the doors on this particular carriage had closed, whilst the rest were all still open. With the platform white light still not illuminated and people continuing to board via other carriages, the train continued to sit at the platform as usual for another ten seconds until the driver closed the other doors and the train departed as usual.

This was not the first time I had encountered doors prematurely closing on the Northern line. Is this a fault with the 1995 Stock? If so, what is this fault caused by? Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,413
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
One day, I was alighting from a Northern line train at Euston when I noticed that the set of doors I had just passed through closed behind me, whilst people were still boarding, and trapping someone. People already onboard had to hold the doors open to free the person and allow the rest of the group to board. Looking along the platform, I could see that only the doors on this particular carriage had closed, whilst the rest were all still open. With the platform white light still not illuminated and people continuing to board via other carriages, the train continued to sit at the platform as usual for another ten seconds until the driver closed the other doors and the train departed as usual.

This was not the first time I had encountered doors prematurely closing on the Northern line. Is this a fault with the 1995 Stock? If so, what is this fault caused by? Thanks in advance.

Almost certainly someone has pressed a porter button. There has been a spate of this in recent months. The feeling is that it is done deliberately to cause a commotion, which then facilitates pickpocketing.

BTP are certainly aware.

95 stock does have a couple of fault conditions which can cause doors to close of their own accord, however this is very rare. Far more likely to be the porter buttons.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top