150222
Member
- Joined
- 9 Jul 2011
- Messages
- 1,002
So is there anything to stop say: First Great Western operating a 143 on the Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour or Great Malvern to Southampton Central services? Subject to clearance of course.
Perhaps on the Northern fleet, yes.
However, I would like to make the case for the Cl317s. These units have worked regular passenger services out of every OLE electrified London terminus except for Paddington. They've been at least as far as Birmingham on the WCML, Newcastle on the ECML and Norwich on the GEML as well as working to other destinations along each line.
O L Leigh
So is there anything to stop say: First Great Western operating a 143 on the Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour or Great Malvern to Southampton Central services? Subject to clearance of course.
MML hired a 170/5 from Central back in 2002 due to problems with their own fleet. Picture shows 170523 coupled to one of MMLs own 170/1s at St Pancras.
I thought it was a booked turn at one point to take a central 170 to STP. I'm almost certain I have worked one from Nottingham to St Pancras before.
will we see strictly London (South East England) DMU's work up North
SWT did own some 170s from 2000-2005. Anglia Railways also used 170s on the ill-fated Crosslink service (although why they couldn't use dual-voltage EMUs I don't know)
I think South Acton to Kew Bridge might not be electrified. Plus AR didn't actually have any DVEMUs...
170s into Liverpool Street only stopped recently (2010?), though.
Indeed- as a measure to
A: Improve the number of carriages on the rural lines and
B: stop wasting paths that can be used by up to 12-car EMUs on three car DMUs
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 165/166s are a bit too wide to stray from ex-GWR land... or is that an urban myth?Of the current DMUs, the 165/166/168s get far enough out of the capital on a regular basis (Birmingham, Worcester etc).
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 165/166s are a bit too wide to stray from ex-GWR land... or is that an urban myth?
I'm sure I read somewhere that the 165/166s are a bit too wide to stray from ex-GWR land... or is that an urban myth?
That is true however Worcester via Oxford and Birmingham via Bicester are former GWR territory.
I'm sure there is a RSSB report floating around that showed that 165/166 units could be cleared with a bit of work for quite significant parts of the network.

That is true however Worcester via Oxford and Birmingham via Bicester are former GWR territory.
That is true however Worcester via Oxford and Birmingham via Bicester are former GWR territory.
Or vis versa will we see strictly London (South East England) DMU's work up North.
Never seen a 323 south of Northampton but have seen (and indeed been on) a 304 into / out of Euston.
Was it First that knocked it on the head or did NWT drop it prior to being took over?
I think it survived a while; weren't the 180s originally intended for FNW's London services?
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but when all the Silverlink 321s exploded or whatever it was that went wrong with them didn't pairs of 150s cover a couple of WCML duties out of Euston? I remember catching one such pair from MK to Northampton and being amazed at the slow acelleration, not to mention the noise in Hunsbury Hill Tunnel.