Hi all,
I'm not sure whether I've made the correct representations to Northern, would the great minds here please give me an opinion?
On 31/7/25, at 23:17, I purchased from a TVM at Manchester Victoria an Anytime Day Single from Manchester Stations to Burnley Manchester Road valid only via Todmorden for £13.70.
The itinerary that was displayed on the machine, was the 23:23 to Leeds (I believe) changing at Todmorden then an RRB at 00:05 from Todmorden to Blackburn, calling at Burnley Manchester Road.
The 23:23 didn't leave until about 23:50 - no train crew present, the unit was waiting at the platform.
We arrived into Todmorden around 00:20. I was expecting to find the RRB waiting for the service, as that was its only purpose! This was not the case, and there were no staff present or other passengers in my predicament. Given the time, and the lack of any other services or regular service buses, I booked a taxi.
The next morning, I instigated a delay repay claim for 45-60 minutes late (01:11 arrival home, as home closer to Todmorden than Burnley Manchester Road). If I'd actually gone to BYM, it would have been a shade over an hour after scheduled arrival. I also instigated making a claim for the taxi fare.
The delay repay claim was rejected saying "We’re sorry but we have been unable to locate a service that enabled you to complete your journey by train" and later in the email "If you had to arrange your own transport and completed some of the journey by train and did not return to the station of origin then you are entitled to a refund of your ticket and depending on the reason for disruption any additional costs you may have occurred to complete your journey, so please ensure you keep any receipts. In these circumstances, please forward this rejection email to enquiries@northernrailway.co.uk and include images of any receipts and our customer relations team will ensure you receive the appropriate compensation." So, as requested, I forwarded that email to enquiries@ along with a note of the claim reference number.
Five days later, they responded to the claim for taxi fare stating "Upon checking our historic departure boards, the relevant service was delayed to a broken down train earlier on. Whilst generally we wouldn't be liable for consequential loss in that scenario on this occasion as a gesture of goodwill I will reimburse the cost of the taxi", but making no mention of the delay repay claim or refund for the actual train ticket.
Having received the taxi fare refund, I have subsequently replied to this email pointing out the failure to address the delay repay rejection or ticket refund. I have yet to receive an answer to this.
My question - have I done what I need to do, and am I correct to keep pushing on this?
Many thanks!
I'm not sure whether I've made the correct representations to Northern, would the great minds here please give me an opinion?
On 31/7/25, at 23:17, I purchased from a TVM at Manchester Victoria an Anytime Day Single from Manchester Stations to Burnley Manchester Road valid only via Todmorden for £13.70.
The itinerary that was displayed on the machine, was the 23:23 to Leeds (I believe) changing at Todmorden then an RRB at 00:05 from Todmorden to Blackburn, calling at Burnley Manchester Road.
The 23:23 didn't leave until about 23:50 - no train crew present, the unit was waiting at the platform.
We arrived into Todmorden around 00:20. I was expecting to find the RRB waiting for the service, as that was its only purpose! This was not the case, and there were no staff present or other passengers in my predicament. Given the time, and the lack of any other services or regular service buses, I booked a taxi.
The next morning, I instigated a delay repay claim for 45-60 minutes late (01:11 arrival home, as home closer to Todmorden than Burnley Manchester Road). If I'd actually gone to BYM, it would have been a shade over an hour after scheduled arrival. I also instigated making a claim for the taxi fare.
The delay repay claim was rejected saying "We’re sorry but we have been unable to locate a service that enabled you to complete your journey by train" and later in the email "If you had to arrange your own transport and completed some of the journey by train and did not return to the station of origin then you are entitled to a refund of your ticket and depending on the reason for disruption any additional costs you may have occurred to complete your journey, so please ensure you keep any receipts. In these circumstances, please forward this rejection email to enquiries@northernrailway.co.uk and include images of any receipts and our customer relations team will ensure you receive the appropriate compensation." So, as requested, I forwarded that email to enquiries@ along with a note of the claim reference number.
Five days later, they responded to the claim for taxi fare stating "Upon checking our historic departure boards, the relevant service was delayed to a broken down train earlier on. Whilst generally we wouldn't be liable for consequential loss in that scenario on this occasion as a gesture of goodwill I will reimburse the cost of the taxi", but making no mention of the delay repay claim or refund for the actual train ticket.
Having received the taxi fare refund, I have subsequently replied to this email pointing out the failure to address the delay repay rejection or ticket refund. I have yet to receive an answer to this.
My question - have I done what I need to do, and am I correct to keep pushing on this?
Many thanks!