• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Day Ranger - 03/10/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
I am trying to photograph all of the Northern Rail stock, before the new Arriva livery comes in (not something they seem to be hurrying) and the big stock change over occurs in about 2019. I've got a little while yet, but only get to go out and play occasionally in between work and studies.

I only have a few of the 144s, 150s, 153s and 158s to see, but plenty of 142s and 156s (not seen in Leeds/Eastern region any more) as well as some of the West side electrics to tick off. So this trip was designed to tick off some extra units - no gen, just good luck and a flexible evening plan to respond to any interesting workings. I've got a couple of Crosscountry and EMT units outstanding too, which would be a nice side result.

The Northern Ranger is a great product, but rather tricky to use across the Pennines as trip planners insist on putting you on TPE services and many of the Northern trains are very slow. I did cheat slightly, buying a single to Leeds to get the show rolling before the 0845 start time of the Ranger.


142026 with 153330 at Leeds by Timothy Young, on Flickr


142063 on 2Y51 Lancaster to Leeds by Timothy Young, on Flickr

It was a good start to the day, with 7 new sets (including two double-bingos, both units in a set being needed!).

I then went across to Hebden Bridge, because even on a dedicated unit spotting day I can't resist freight trains and the 60 hauled Colas tanks is always worth seeing. I chose Hebden as easily the most scenic station in the area, to try something more creative:


60096 working Preston Docks to Lindsey by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Another new spot and fortunately running early (and at a helluva pace) so I hopped on the next fast train into Manchester Victoria


150132 on a Southport service by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Nothing new under the funny metal roofing, but a chance to grab sandwiches and hop on a 319 through to Earlestown to tick off a few more of the 319s (and score a pair of GBRf 66 workings passing through). Plus I wanted to see this rival for Shipley for most triangular station.


66703 rounding the curve at Earlestown by Timothy Young, on Flickr


319367 arrives into Earlestown by Timothy Young, on Flickr

From there, I caught the next stopper up to St Helens Junction, to catch an Airport train back to Manchester Piccadilly (which don't stop at Earlestown). But then I realised I was stood on the old Liverpool and Manchester railway and was reading Christian Wolmar's excellent opus about the history of British railways, so couldn't resist the chance to pop up to Rainhill.


319366 passing under the 1830s road bridge at Rainhill by Timothy Young, on Flickr

So to see the Stephenson road bridge.


319367 at St Helens Junction by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Then it was back to St. Helens Junction, because fast trains don't stop at Rainhill and onto an airport service to firstly Oxford Road, just because I have not been here before. A very bright afternoon sun was troublesome for photos, but at least the station provided some interesting backdrops.


70018 with a Trafford Park to Southampton freight by Timothy Young, on Flickr


185119 working Scarborough to Liverpool by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Then it was on to Piccadilly, perching at the end of the through platforms to get seven new Northern units, plus the ATW loco hauled and the Pride liveried TPE 185 (I've photographed the whole fleet, but special liveries are always worth bagging).


323230 departing Piccadilly for Crewe by Timothy Young, on Flickr


156441 working Blackpool to Manchester Airport by Timothy Young, on Flickr


67003 powering the North Wales commuter by Timothy Young, on Flickr


185104 in Manchester Pride colours by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Now, my original plan from here had been to wait out a few more hours in Manchester before catching a train back to Leeds from Victoria, then I read about the Pathfinder 37 hauled tour running down the WCML in the evening, so changed my plan to go up to Lancaster, bag these before going over the Little Northwestern to get home. As I was about to hop on the Barrow train I happened to glance at the realtime for the ex-Fort William train to find it was running a whopping five hours late, so that plan immediately got abandoned.

Instead I decided on impulse to go over the Southern Pennines and to Sheffield to try and find some different units there, a good spot for 144s particularly. A very pleasant ride on a 150 through the most beautiful Hope Valley scenery to arrive at Sheffield at dusk.


222101 arrives Sheffield from London by Timothy Young, on Flickr


144021 at Sheffield by Timothy Young, on Flickr


142090 on a Leeds service by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Unfortunately only a couple of new 142s there, no sign of my one remaining 144 (002) and all duff hits on the Crosscountry, although 222101 was at least one off my EMT list.

Then caught an ex-Nottingham 158 back to Leeds, but some slow running in a few places meant we arrived with only a moment to leg it across the platforms to catch my connection back up to Steeton, although I did make it.

So in all, a pretty successful day, bagging 21 new units, plus a Colas engine and EMT Meridian. Leaving me with 12 142s, 1 144, 7 150s, no more 153s, 19 156s, 2 158s, 4 319s and 3 323s left to see. A jaunt up to Tyneside would be good, but the gap in Northern network between York and Darlington would make it more expensive.

Thanks for reading.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
I think maybe a trip to Manchester will be good too as that could era 142s 156s 319s and 323s
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
A fine collection of well composed shots there Tim, I particularly like the the 60 at Hebden Bridge, thanks for posting.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Some great shots there and I enjoyed reading!
 

bieomax

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2016
Messages
21
Good collection, Have you managed all 333's ? Which 158's do you have left?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Thanks for the comments - the rest of the gallery from the day is on Flickr

Sounded like a good day using the great value Northern Rover :)

It is a good ticket, if only it was easier to plan routes. The National Rail app allows you to pick a preferred carrier, but doesn't stick exclusively to them. So for Manchester to Leeds it took TPE to Huddersfield then put you onto a Northern service.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,940
Location
Devon
Really good write up Tim. Excellent photos too, especially the ones taken at dusk and like Ash Bridge said the 60 on the tanks.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Some excellent photos there.
Those Northern rangers are fantastic value.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,822
Location
West of Andover
Thanks for the comments - the rest of the gallery from the day is on Flickr



It is a good ticket, if only it was easier to plan routes. The National Rail app allows you to pick a preferred carrier, but doesn't stick exclusively to them. So for Manchester to Leeds it took TPE to Huddersfield then put you onto a Northern service.

Agreed there, I had a similar issue a couple years ago when planning coverage of the LM network when they used to do the Great Escape tickets, to try and avoid Virgin services.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top