• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Conductor Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

pools

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2021
Messages
11
Location
Hull
Hi All

Just looking for a bit of information please....I have my conductor medical this week and just wondering what's involved? I have seen previous posts on here from years past but am after info from someone who has had one recently. I aren't worried especially as I'm pretty fit and healthy but there's always that little bit of anxiety because I haven't passed it yet!

Eye sight is fine (I use glasses for reading)
Hearing is fine (never any issues)
Drink / drugs - rarely drink and not taking drugs :)
Family history - dad died in his late thirties due to a heart attack but I'm nearly 50 and have older siblings and mother still going at 82

Anything else?

Also, do they tell you there and then or is there a waiting period?

Thanks in advance

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Oh, height and weight are fine - according to my BMI I'm overweight but if you saw me you wouldn't say I was
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Devil

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
274
They don't ask about family history. And the results are sent to HR,so you won't be told straightaway. The company doing the medical can't tell you there and then anyway, as urine sample has to be sent away for analysis,
 
Joined
6 Jul 2021
Messages
61
Location
South
Hi Pools,

mine was as below,

questionnaire

eye sight tests

hearing

then flexibility in body I.e bending etc

urine sample

I was told Straight away that medical was all okay.

Urine sample result was on the spot and I was told that they only send some away but they defiantly are not all sent to the lab.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I also forgot to add height and blood pressure.
 

LokiB

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2020
Messages
267
Location
Leeds
Good luck with the medical, I'm sure it will be a straightforward from what you've said.

When is your course due to start if you don't mind me asking?
 

pools

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2021
Messages
11
Location
Hull
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Surely I'm worrying about nothing?! It's tantalisingly close and I just want to get it over the line so I can start looking forward to starting.

Due to start at the end of September.

Intercitybruce - did you have yours recently? Also, as you're in the south, could the medical for Northern be any different do you think?

I'm probably really overthinking it and should just relax and see what happens on the day but like I said, when you're this close, the last thing I want is to fall at the final hurdle!
 
Joined
6 Jul 2021
Messages
61
Location
South
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Surely I'm worrying about nothing?! It's tantalisingly close and I just want to get it over the line so I can start looking forward to starting.

Due to start at the end of September.

Intercitybruce - did you have yours recently? Also, as you're in the south, could the medical for Northern be any different do you think?

I'm probably really overthinking it and should just relax and see what happens on the day but like I said, when you're this close, the last thing I want is to fall at the final hurdle!

Hi Pools,

That’s correct my medical was in south.

I am a newbie to the industry so I am unsure if it is any different I.e from south to north but I believe it’s probably generic across the board.

My medical was around 1 month ago.

As you said yourself you are probably just over thinking it, and to be honest I did the exact same, to the point I thought I was going to fail it even know I’m all
Healthy and deep down had nothing to worry about.

Try not to worry about it at all, I am sure all will be well, and let us know how it goes.

All the best
 

pools

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2021
Messages
11
Location
Hull
Thanks Intercitybruce - I would imagine it's a pretty uniform test like you say. It's grim up north as the saying goes but I can't see why we'd need a different medical exam :)

I just need to relax. Like you, I'm second guessing myself and convincing myself there are problems that don't exist!

Just want it sorted so I can look forward to starting.
 
Joined
6 Jul 2021
Messages
61
Location
South
Thanks Intercitybruce - I would imagine it's a pretty uniform test like you say. It's grim up north as the saying goes but I can't see why we'd need a different medical exam :)

I just need to relax. Like you, I'm second guessing myself and convincing myself there are problems that don't exist!

Just want it sorted so I can look forward to starting.

It will be all fine bud.

And congrats with the new role :lol:
 

Red Devil

Member
Joined
6 Jan 2016
Messages
274
Thanks Intercitybruce - I would imagine it's a pretty uniform test like you say. It's grim up north as the saying goes but I can't see why we'd need a different medical exam :)

I just need to relax. Like you, I'm second guessing myself and convincing myself there are problems that don't exist!

Just want it sorted so I can look forward to starting.
Medical is the easy bit. You've done the hard work getting there.
Good luck
 

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
They will try and find reasons to pass you not to fail you. you don't do drugs, don't drink the day/night before and declare any medication you are on,.You should be fine, if not there's nothing you can do about it!
 

pools

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2021
Messages
11
Location
Hull
They will try and find reasons to pass you not to fail you. you don't do drugs, don't drink the day/night before and declare any medication you are on,.You should be fine, if not there's nothing you can do about it!

They're very good points thank you.

And you're right....if I don't pass it's through something beyond my control because what I am in control of falls very much in line with what they want (no drink, drugs, not out of shape etc)

Thanks to all for taking the time to help, it's much appreciated.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Ok so had my medical today and.....all went fine :)

Just waiting for the urine test results but not concerned at all.

The hardest part was easily the hearing test....all I could hear was my heart trying break out of my chest! And the sounds aren't exactly loud, you really have to concentrate, I ended up closing my eyes to prevent being distracted! I also breathed through my mouth rather than nose because it was quieter....I must've looked just a tiny bit weird sat that with eyes shut, mouth open and frowning to concentrate on the mouse footsteps in my ears!

I was bricking it but that's it now for 6 years :) The lady who tested me was just a normal person which put me at ease too.

Phew!

Should be good to start at end of Sept hopefully.

Thanks again to those who responded to my panicked ramblings :)

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

didn't realise the posts would merge, sorry!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top