• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Complimentary Return: asked to date the return portion on outward journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSP 2

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2019
Messages
641
Location
11B
They might, but they're not, and it's clearly stated.
Could you please post as we're going on a day out and I'll be using a DRPT and a normal ticket for travel for the two of use , so do you think that proof of age would be a good idea?
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Could you please post as we're going on a day out and I'll be using a DRPT and a normal ticket for travel for the two of use , so do you think that proof of age would be a good idea?

One adult and one child and an adult complimentary? Pay for the child, that's cheaper.
 

HSP 2

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2019
Messages
641
Location
11B
Could you please post as we're going on a day out and I'll be using a DRPT and a normal ticket for travel for the two of use , so do you think that proof of age would be a good idea?
One adult and one child and an adult complimentary? Pay for the child, that's cheaper.

You have misunderstood my message, for part of the trip we will be using adult DRPTs and for the next part normal tickets (using a F & F R/C) so do you think that it could be a good idea to have proof of age? The lads not yet 14 but he is tall built like a bean pole, not like me.
 

Fare-Cop

Member
Joined
5 Aug 2010
Messages
950
Location
England
There is no legal requirement to carry proof of age in these circumstances, but it's always a good idea to be proactive and help yourselves by doing so.
 

Greybeard33

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2012
Messages
4,335
Location
Greater Manchester
I had an altercation with a Northern conductor over one of these complimentary returns last week, during the return journey.

When Customer Services sent it to me, they filled in my name in the name field (in cursive script not block capitals) leaving the other fields blank. The covering letter said it was for my personal use, so presumably this was intended to stop me selling it or donating it to someone else.

Before starting the outward journey I filled in all the station and date fields in block capitals, using a pen that was obviously different from the Customer Services one.

This conductor claimed that this made the ticket invalid, because all the fields, including name, must be filled in at the same time to guard against fraudulent misuse. I explained why this was not possible and he eventually let me off when I started to extract the covering letter from my bag.

His parting shot was to scrawl an inverted V right across the ticket, although this did not cause any queries at inspections on subsequent legs of the journey home.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
You have misunderstood my message, for part of the trip we will be using adult DRPTs and for the next part normal tickets (using a F & F R/C) so do you think that it could be a good idea to have proof of age? The lads not yet 14 but he is tall built like a bean pole, not like me.

If you have a tall child and intend to use a child ticket for them, proof of ID, while not required, is not a bad idea. Even in the 90s I used to carry my birth certificate.
 

HSP 2

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2019
Messages
641
Location
11B

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
You must look very young if you have to carry your birth certificate when your in your 90s!!!!
Pretty sure he means the 1990s, when he was a child.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
I had an altercation with a Northern conductor over one of these complimentary returns last week, during the return journey.

When Customer Services sent it to me, they filled in my name in the name field (in cursive script not block capitals) leaving the other fields blank. The covering letter said it was for my personal use, so presumably this was intended to stop me selling it or donating it to someone else.

Before starting the outward journey I filled in all the station and date fields in block capitals, using a pen that was obviously different from the Customer Services one.

This conductor claimed that this made the ticket invalid, because all the fields, including name, must be filled in at the same time to guard against fraudulent misuse. I explained why this was not possible and he eventually let me off when I started to extract the covering letter from my bag.

His parting shot was to scrawl an inverted V right across the ticket, although this did not cause any queries at inspections on subsequent legs of the journey home.

Did you also point out the case reference number on the reverse which was filled in by the same pen, by customer service?

Please do make a complaint about this. This is not acceptable conduct or treatment of a customer.

Which service did this happen on?
 

Djgr

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
3,426
I had an altercation with a Northern conductor over one of these complimentary returns last week, during the return journey.

When Customer Services sent it to me, they filled in my name in the name field (in cursive script not block capitals) leaving the other fields blank. The covering letter said it was for my personal use, so presumably this was intended to stop me selling it or donating it to someone else.

Before starting the outward journey I filled in all the station and date fields in block capitals, using a pen that was obviously different from the Customer Services one.

This conductor claimed that this made the ticket invalid, because all the fields, including name, must be filled in at the same time to guard against fraudulent misuse. I explained why this was not possible and he eventually let me off when I started to extract the covering letter from my bag.

His parting shot was to scrawl an inverted V right across the ticket, although this did not cause any queries at inspections on subsequent legs of the journey home.

Northern curse strikes again. Oh forgot, they're not mediocre just misunderstood.
 

paddington

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2013
Messages
964
I must remember not to make jokes. I'm still waiting for a reply to a question. #31 I think.

Not sure if I understand what you are getting at.

It was pointed out that condition 7 says "If this pass is marked 'CHILD' it is only valid if the holder is under 16 years of age."

There is no condition that says if the pass is marked ADULT it is only valid if the holder is over 16.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
When Customer Services sent it to me, they filled in my name in the name field (in cursive script not block capitals) leaving the other fields blank.
This conductor claimed that this made the ticket invalid, because all the fields, including name, must be filled in at the same time to guard against fraudulent misuse.

Did you also point out the case reference number on the reverse which was filled in by the same pen, by customer service?

CS have always written my name on the front but have not always put the case reference number on the back.
If the reference number space is blank I have never added it as Condition 5 (see post #25) does not state I have any responsibility to do so.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,816
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
You must look very young if you have to carry your birth certificate when your in your 90s!!!!

:D You know what I mean.

But where at?

On the ticket. There is a photograph of one upthread. It says if the ticket says CHILD it can only be used by someone under 16. It does not say that if the ticket does not say CHILD that it may not be used by someone under 16.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Thankfully I have a pen that is very similar to the one that Northern have marked my comp tickets with my name with. I shall I shall use this to date my tickets so it looks the same if there are some rogue guards about creating issues.

It really does lack common sense creating such a fuss, if I passenger is bothered to go to the effort to claim delay repay following a delay then it stands to reason that customer may be more likely then others to make a complaint if they are given undue harassment during a journey.
 

Greybeard33

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2012
Messages
4,335
Location
Greater Manchester
Did you also point out the case reference number on the reverse which was filled in by the same pen, by customer service?

Please do make a complaint about this. This is not acceptable conduct or treatment of a customer.

Which service did this happen on?
Not only the case reference number on the reverse, but the "Authorised by" signature and the "Adult" and "Return" boxes on the front of the ticket were evidently filled in using the same pen as the "Name" box. The pen I used to complete the remaining boxes was somewhat faint, which might perhaps have contributed to suspicion of fraud.

I have no intention of making a formal complaint, since the outcome of the incident was satisfactory from my point of view and I regard the matter as closed. I most certainly will not post information on a public forum that might enable the conductor to be identified. He was polite, if misinformed, and backed down when he realised he had a weak case. His conduct could not be construed as harassment.

As far as I was concerned this matter was closed. I only posted the details here as evidence that Northern conductors might have been briefed to look out for fraudulent use of these complimentary tickets. My ticket was closely examined by several other conductors during my two day trip, though none of them found fault with it. It is clearly important to fill in all the boxes before starting the journey, and it might be a wise precaution also to carry the covering letter from Customer Services.

Has OLR specifically confirmed that it will honour these tickets after 1st March? There are questions and answers on the OLR website that state:
Q: Will my ticket purchased for travel after 1 March still be valid?

Yes. All tickets purchased to travel on Northern services will remain valid for the dates shown on the ticket.

Q: I have travel vouchers from a previous refund. Will these be honoured by Northern Trains Limited?

Yes, you can still use your travel vouchers. They will remain valid up to their expiry date.
But technically a Northern-only Complimentary Travel Pass is not the same as a Rail Travel Voucher, which has a cash value and is used to purchase a conventional ticket before travel. Nor is the pass a ticket purchased for travel.

Since my passes were issued by Arriva Rail North Ltd., I thought it prudent to use them before the end of the Arriva franchise.
 

HSP 2

Member
Joined
4 Dec 2019
Messages
641
Location
11B
They might, but they're not, and it's clearly stated.

This was the post that I asked about but did not get a reply.
Until about #45.

In a part reply to post 44? I've just had a look through my collection of DLRT and I have at least 6 that only have the following boxes filled in. Adult, return and the authorised box filled in. On all of these the reference box is also not filled in.

More bad training?
 
Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Your free ticket should not have been questioned in the first place. Customer Relations filled out all the part they are required to fill and you filled in the remainder. I have been pulled for not filling in my free tickets correctly when I have and it can be very stressful and shouldn't be happening. Those free tickets can be very difficult to fill out too and I am yet to find a consistent pen that is good for them.

Given the circumstances under which the free tickets have been issued and the reason for the franchise going to the OLR (and any appointed operator thereafter) as a sanction for unacceptable performance (being "taken back"), it would be unreasonable and unrealistic for customers to be expected to use them all up by the end of the month. I have had sight of a delay repay cover letter with a free ticket issued this week and received today (sent to a friend of mine) and there is no mention that it must be used by any given date. There is also no mention of this on the delay repay claim form online today when you select your payout method.

Furthermore, the "Northern" banding is what is mainly used on the free tickets, covering letters and the operation of trains - rather then "Arriva Northern" (or similar). So if anything the customer can expect business as usual with the same "Northern" banding continuing to be used. Any future operator might also just be called "Northern" using the same/similar branding.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top