• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 158 vestibule question - for mobility scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Kidd

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2026
Messages
2
Location
West Yorkshire
I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm looking for specific information regarding Northern's c158 's - would anyone know the vestibule dimensions/measurements of this train???
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
I'm hoping someone can help me, I'm looking for specific information regarding Northern's c158 's - would anyone know the vestibule dimensions/measurements of this train???

That's probably going to be a tough one given the variety in the fleet, aren't the 3 cars different to the 2 cars, then the 158/9s are different again?
 

Jan Kidd

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2026
Messages
2
Location
West Yorkshire
I'm a mobility scooter user, the measurements I'm looking for is the space immediately after clearing the ramp from the platform - the space you're in before you even enter the carriage itself, I'm sure the dimensions of THAT space would be similar across the fleet - the 2 car and the 3 car would probably have differing measurements inside but the space at the doors themselves where you get on and off the train would surely be the same? (I use the 2 car)
 

diligentdave

Member
Joined
20 Oct 2007
Messages
442
I'm a mobility scooter user, the measurements I'm looking for is the space immediately after clearing the ramp from the platform - the space you're in before you even enter the carriage itself, I'm sure the dimensions of THAT space would be similar across the fleet - the 2 car and the 3 car would probably have differing measurements inside but the space at the doors themselves where you get on and off the train would surely be the same? (I use the 2 car)
All trains are required to have a minimum opening distance of 800mm when fully open.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
You may find the page on mobility scooters useful from Northern's website:
https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/mobility-scooters (too big to quote effectively).

The accessible travel team will probably have the measurements available so could be worth giving them a ring/sending them a message on WhatsApp.
Worth noting (having been through the process) that it needs to be a Class 2 scooter and that significant numbers of wheelchair-accessible stations are not usable by scooters (including my local one which meant we never used the facility).
 

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
I'm a mobility scooter user, the measurements I'm looking for is the space immediately after clearing the ramp from the platform - the space you're in before you even enter the carriage itself, I'm sure the dimensions of THAT space would be similar across the fleet - the 2 car and the 3 car would probably have differing measurements inside but the space at the doors themselves where you get on and off the train would surely be the same? (I use the 2 car)

Nah, you've got different available space depending on toilet type, cycle provision even if it's a set built for trolley stowage, then how much space you have to maneuver, which is possibly the issue, will depend which side you board on. As said above though, there will be a minimum space provision
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top