• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northallerton: Why don't CrossCountry call there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2014
Messages
329
I'm still waiting for JD Wetherspoon to open a pub here so I have an excuse to visit.

Out of interest, why is this a prerequisite of you visiting somewhere? Northallerton already has a number of non JDW pubs you could go to instead.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,907
Location
East Anglia
Out of interest, why is this a prerequisite of you visiting somewhere? Northallerton already has a number of non JDW pubs you could go to instead.

I'm a Spoon ticker. Only real reason apart from horse racing that I go anywhere.
 

Alan2603

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2016
Messages
125
Out of interest, why is this a prerequisite of you visiting somewhere? Northallerton already has a number of non JDW pubs you could go to instead.

If local rumour is to be believed, the now vacated police station on the High Street could well become a Wetherspoons in the fullness of time.

Apparently the new pub on the High Street (The Potting Shed?) was originally going to become a Wetherspoons, but the delays in the NHS selling the site put paid to that (it was the former Rutson Hospital).

Travelodge have apparently also taken an interest in the police station site which could tie in with the Wetherspoons development (rather like the Posterngate development in York).

With regards to numbers etc, as well as both the District and County Council, North Yorkshire Police have recently moved their headquarters into the town centre (in the old Rural Payments Agency/Defra/MAFF building). I know some of their staff who now travel into work by train (vice travelling to the former Headquarters in Newby Wiske village by car).

A lot of people from Catterick Garrison/Richmond/the Dales do travel south on the ECML from Northallerton (car parking is cheaper at Northallerton than Darlington apparently) and the distances to/from the stations are roughly the same. I even know some people who drive north from near Thirsk to then travel south on the ECML due to Northallerton's more frequent direct train services.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,907
Location
East Anglia
If local rumour is to be believed, the now vacated police station on the High Street could well become a Wetherspoons in the fullness of time.

Apparently the new pub on the High Street (The Potting Shed?) was originally going to become a Wetherspoons, but the delays in the NHS selling the site put paid to that (it was the former Rutson Hospital).

Travelodge have apparently also taken an interest in the police station site which could tie in with the Wetherspoons development (rather like the Posterngate development in York).

Cheers Alan. You never know then. I maybe visiting Northallerton sometime in the not too distant future :p
 

Marton

Member
Joined
9 Nov 2008
Messages
665
Going further back in time, I vaguely remember some Northallerton calls by cross country services in BR days (80's)

I’m sure your right, but don’t have my old timetables to hand

I have now looked at various timetables - southbound only

1953
1352 to Colchester 2117 (From Newcastle via Durham Coast)
2039 sleeper to Bristol 0521
1963
2034 sleeper to Bristol TM 0512 (varied on SSu)
1113 to Bristol 1655 Sat

1983
0854 to Plymouth Penzance (to which varied seasonally) M-S

1984
2128 to Newquay So May to Sept Second class only

1992 - NIL

In the 1983 and 1984 timetables there are 2nd clss only services Dalington to York, and in 1953 and 63 services Northallerton to York/Leeds
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,324
I'm a Spoon ticker. Only real reason apart from horse racing that I go anywhere.

Interesting , do you take any interest in the town your visiting ? I once seen a McDonalds ticker
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,907
Location
East Anglia
Interesting , do you take any interest in the town your visiting ? I once seen a McDonalds ticker

If there's anything to see then yes. It's usually dictated by train/bus timetables & the location of the hotel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top