• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Wales Coast Line closed for immediate future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erniescooper

Member
Joined
27 Mar 2010
Messages
518
Does anyone know what units are "trapped" in North Wales? I know 150258 is but I'm not sure what else is. Is all fuelling and maintenance being done at Holyhead?

Adam :D

158837 ,158839 ,175114 ,150258 and 221114 are all stabling overnight at Holyhead who can fuel and carry out some limited maintenance .
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,460
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Pictures of all the trapped trains in this week North Wales Rail newsboard,including the the 150 trapped at Llanrwst.
Plus dramatic pictures from Network Rail, ATW and enthusiasts at the Mostyn washout.

http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm

Looking at the size of the boulders that were deposited on the tracks, it certainly gives you an idea of the strength of the storm tide that generated that event.
 

SprinterMan

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2010
Messages
2,341
Location
Hertford
If you have not left already,I work with volunteers and under employment regs,you are covered by the same employers liability as paid staff,so you do most certainly work in the trade.
Anyhow if you do meet a zealous inspector etc do not part with money,best of luck.
No idea whats trapped,but the 150s used on the Conwy Valley line are spare,VT have a dept at Holyhead,so a quid pro Que is available. All VT trains will be away I imagine.

Thanks for all the advice :) May I ask who you work for? In the end something rather wonderful happened. The bus from Rhyl to Chester headed south to the A55 and ran fast to Chester, skipping Prestatyn, Flint & Shotton. I got to Chester just in time to catch 1H84 0952 Chester to Manchester Piccadilly, meaning I got to Manchester in time for 1O16 1127 Manchester Piccadilly to Bournemouth. This train was especially lovely as I was in 1st class and had several free sandwiches and drinks, and because 220017 had an engine out to it was as quiet in 1st class as it is in LHCS :P

Adam :D
 

Welshman

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2010
Messages
3,068
Although the bus timetable on the ATW site gave the impression that the rail-replacement buses would call at all stations between Rhyl and Chester[and take up to 2 hours on occasions], I know some did run non-stop when passenger demand was there. My wife actually travelled on such a non-stop bus on the first evening of the disasterous floods, one week ago.

Incidentally, I see from the same website that there are emergency engineering works on the North Wales Coast again this week, necessitating the last two eastbound departures to be replaced with buses.

Does anyone know if these works are related to the flooding issues last week, or are they caused by sometime totally different?
 

cymro inside

Member
Joined
15 Aug 2010
Messages
110
yes the 2035 Holyhead to Crewe is cancelled between Llandudno Junction and Chester and the 2145 Llandudno to Crewe does the same.down line services unaffected,when I passed last night staff were working on Mostyn wall in three different locations under floodlights,one part in particular looks like being a big job.
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Thanks for all the advice :) May I ask who you work for? In the end something rather wonderful happened. The bus from Rhyl to Chester headed south to the A55 and ran fast to Chester, skipping Prestatyn, Flint & Shotton. I got to Chester just in time to catch 1H84 0952 Chester to Manchester Piccadilly, meaning I got to Manchester in time for 1O16 1127 Manchester Piccadilly to Bournemouth. This train was especially lovely as I was in 1st class and had several free sandwiches and drinks, and because 220017 had an engine out to it was as quiet in 1st class as it is in LHCS :P

Adam :D

Pleased all went well for you,ill PM you about personal data.

Bob
 

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Looking at the size of the boulders that were deposited on the tracks, it certainly gives you an idea of the strength of the storm tide that generated that event.

Do you think this could have been avoided if more substantial repairs had been done when last breached in the late 80's/early 90's. Some photos suggest the patches from then survived but the older sections of wall went this time.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,460
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Do you think this could have been avoided if more substantial repairs had been done when last breached in the late 80's/early 90's. Some photos suggest the patches from then survived but the older sections of wall went this time.

Could anyone have possibly envisaged the strength of the force of the sea that was prevailing during that particular storm, when making the substantial repair provision in the time scale that you refer to ?
 

merlodlliw

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2009
Messages
5,852
Location
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Network rail say Conwy Valley line will reopen at 0530 tomorrow morning

I note Charlie Hume editor of North Wales Rail has done a special on the turnarounds at Rhyl, both Rail and coach with lots of pictures,


Plethora of replacement buses - report by Simon Yeomans
I was the Rail Replacement bus co-ordinator at Rhyl on Friday - Monday 6 -9 December, called in for emergency work to provide a service between Rhyl and Chester after storm damage blocked the railway. I thought you might like to see some of the photographs I managed to get during four extremely busy days. Some interesting buses from among the fleet which was put together are illustrated here.
link http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top