47403
Established Member
After July's Round Robin went pearshaped, I've been more than keen to do another, however, work, christmas shopping and family commitments meant going anywhere railway related, was put on the back burner.
After a look in the NREA, I decided I'd give this another whirl in hope of scratching off those few re-numbered HST's I require and that damn elusive last 185, 185143 (the unit not the forum member) is becoming a bit of an irritant. I also like to add an extra location to the day, so I decided I'd give Sheffield a visit this time, the Meridian's being the main reason, I require great swathes of them, also, the EMT 158's from Norwich to Liverpool, there's a few of them required, not to mention the trams too. Kinda makes sense to visit the place again.
So after the school run and a visit to Argos (another new dictaphone), I dash on multi duds metro 4036/4038, from Gateshead to Central Station. I arrive just before 09.40, there was an UID XC HST in, I thought, oh that'll be a canny start, till I went for the ticket, couldn't pay by card the machines were down, so I rush up to the ATM to get stuck behind the Golden Girls, struggling with the machine, by the time I get my money and ticket that XC HST was probably in Durham.
I go through barriers an see 185116 in the bay for the Liverpool working, whilst crossing the bridge to platform 4, 67003 is the thunderbird and I amble up to the North end of the platform and await the 10 o'clock to the Cross, winners 43272/43295 are my chariot to Darlington. It's totally rammed, so Im stood in the vestibule for the duration of the trip, just as we're coming up to Tyne Yard the guard checks my ticket and I miss ID'ing the 3 sheds in view, 2 Freds and 1 Ged.
I bail at Darlo, and wander up to see 142087/091 in the bays, a Newcastle bound 185 comes in too but it's 185121 much to my dismay. Whilst waiting at Darlo, I thought I spend a bit time at Northallerton, hopefully see my last Grand Central HST and maybe just maybe 185143 might be on a Middlesbrough- Manchester Airport turn. You never know I quietly convinced myself.
I jump aboard winner 185116 for the short hop to Northallerton, however all too soon, Im off, as I watch 185116 disappear, noticing that the 185's won an award for best new generation DMU, well I never, I thought to myself , never used to give out awards when this was loco hauled, couldn't imagine a scruffy GD 47 with a rosette, saying Best in show.
Anyway my best laid plans to stay in Northallerton for a bit, bit the dust, around 3 mins later, winner 185118, pulled in, so I leapt it to York, where the plan was stay for an hour or so before bailing to Leeds, however which way I didnt really know, would I go via the Harrogate loop, use the Blackpool North stopper or just 185 it, the usual way, I hadn't decided, so I thought let the loco decide or time. One thing I like about York is the DRS stabling point, a chance to see some heritage traction, today it didn't disappoint 20308/309 plus 37606 accompanied by a snowplough, I tried to get a pic on my mobile of the 20's but a metal cantanery post in the way spoilt any hope a decent pic.
Countless sightings of these award winning 185's but still not the one Im after, I'm getting despondent chasing this damn thing but the sight of 43311, cheers me up no end, 1 East Coast HST left, 1 Grand Central and 2 XC to go and theyre done again. With a cheerio, I decline dud 158844 on the Blackpool North turn and decide the Harrogate loop is for another day, i've done it many a time but it's been a while. However time decides my fate now, so I jump aboard winner 185124 and whizz off to Leeds, hoping required gronk 08908 is visible at NL today, it wasn't, although the un-required EMT liveried 08525 was.
Leeds is a fest of various units, I have a love/hate relationship with the place, I hate the place for its confusing platform numbers and love it, for just its sheer variation. I jump off 185124, hoping to scatch off NL's 144 and 155's but I laugh out loud as the first two units I note are none other than HT's 142018 and 093, i tick off a couple of 150's and 170301, much to my delight, nothing required going to Skipton, either D or EMU wise, bar dog box 153328, will I won't I, I decline and after 45mins, I go for a ticket to Sheffield via the Hallam line, in hope of scratching some loco's off Midland road.
Can of Rockstar and ciggie later Im off to see my chariot to Sheffield, on the way to platform 7b, a pair of 185's draw my attention, they're, 185133 and 142, the near miss, makes my heart sink and just to rub salt in, 185144 goes North, I could've cried. Soon after someone takes pity, my chariot to Sheffield is a double winner, 144019 is a winner for sight too, I jump on board and see 66605 come past on a cement train, just then there's a thud, I go to the door and see a 158 coupling up to the 144 I'm on, I jump off and note winner 158903 but before I climb back aboard, I ask, this is still going to Sheffield? I'm told, Yeah both are, so I get back to my seat on the 144, with the intention of bailing onto the 158 at Wakey Kirkgate. The line to Kirkgate is standard fare, my hopes for Midland Road sightings are however, squished like an asthmatic ant carrying heavy shopping, by an abandoned rake of HIA hoppers, completely blocking any chance of ID'ing anything on Midland Road. I bail the 144 at Wakey and onto the 158, got a table seat to myself and stretch out with a coffee in hand, ah bliss.
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip over the Hallam line, it's been far too long since I made this journey, the sight of a proper signal box at Norbury Junction, briefly transported me back in time, to the days as mere 7yr old kid, I'd clamber up and sit with my older cousins on the big stone wall, by the now long gone, signal box on the Newcastle-Sunderland line, just a stone throws away from where the Stadium of Light metro station is now, watching the less award winning but a damn sight more fun, 101's and the odd freight train to South Dock or Wearmouth colliery fly by. I was brought back to reality by the almighty rev of the 158, the inclines up to Barnsley certainly seemed to test it's stamina and with the snow all around, the town of Barnsley and surrounding areas, certainly looked a damn sight more picturesque.
Soon enough we hit the tunnel leading into Sheffield, my first proper visit to the Steel City, since loco hauled travel ceased on the XC 47 days. Nowadays the task in hand was to get some lines under those Meridians, however the 1st one I saw was none other than one of the ex Hull trains fleet, which I certainly didn't want, however all was not lost, I did manage to get half a dozen, as well as an equal amount of the cities trams, which when it went quiet in the station, saw me depart to the tram stop, which doubled as a ciggy break, a win win situation in my book. Hunger got the better of me in the end and the Burger King on the Station was just too convenient, I sat in the bus stop shelter on the platform, the one nearest the fueling point, devoured my grub as 158812 and required for sight 158865 trundled off to Liverpool with tram 109 also required for sight, visible over the wall, that moment alone was priceless.
All too soon though, it was time to go, I declined a voyager, as you do and sought another option back to Leeds, my heart skips a beat when I see HT's 142065, which would be a super dud, come up the platform, I'm thinking, aye, that can do one too but it carries on by much to my relief and winner 150141, took the honour, back over the Hallam line. It's been a while since I travelled behind a 150, however 141's interior is looking a bit shabby but its engine was working just fine. With darkness cutting in, we past Midland Road, I couldn't poitively ID anything, it could have been 66504, it was certainly in the powerhaul livery, coupled up to one of the old DRS 66's that freightliner have loaned, plus 2 others freds and a class 70, maybe 003 at the back of the depot but like I say I can't be positive.
Into Leeds and it's rush hour and it's positively manic, thank god for the dictaphone, everything doubled up, I got 5 required 170's out 6, in a 10 minute spell, I was gonna whizz up to Skipton aboard 333013 but it was heaving and thought better of it, I decided to give it half an hour longer before whizzing to York, 150207 looked odds on for the next trip, over to Harrogate but when a XC HST pulled in with dud 43378 on the front but with required for sight 43207, on the rear, no brainer, I was off to York, just 1 more XC HST now. I could've taken it back to Newcastle but thought, lets see if that 185's kicking about, if it is, I'll get a chance to go back to Leeds on it, if not, at least I might get to see, my last East Coast or Grand Central HST's, maybe both.
The 185 never materialised and at thee time nor did the HST's, after roughly an hour and a half in York, I decided enough was enough and the next available HST, I would be outta there. Sure enough winner 43238, I jumped aboard got a table seat and settled down for the trip back to Newcastle, with the intention of getting the stock and rear power car when I arrived home. I plugged my phone in to charge, threw in the ear phones and pogo'd all the way home with the Ramones. Before you could even say Beat on the Brat, with a baseball bat, we were in Durham and soon enough back on home turf at Newcastle, I walked up the platform and stood watching 43238 depart northwards, taking the stock as it did, well would you believe it, the rear power car was none other than my last required for sight, re-numbered East Coast HST 43315. Talk about finishing on a high note.
After a look in the NREA, I decided I'd give this another whirl in hope of scratching off those few re-numbered HST's I require and that damn elusive last 185, 185143 (the unit not the forum member) is becoming a bit of an irritant. I also like to add an extra location to the day, so I decided I'd give Sheffield a visit this time, the Meridian's being the main reason, I require great swathes of them, also, the EMT 158's from Norwich to Liverpool, there's a few of them required, not to mention the trams too. Kinda makes sense to visit the place again.
So after the school run and a visit to Argos (another new dictaphone), I dash on multi duds metro 4036/4038, from Gateshead to Central Station. I arrive just before 09.40, there was an UID XC HST in, I thought, oh that'll be a canny start, till I went for the ticket, couldn't pay by card the machines were down, so I rush up to the ATM to get stuck behind the Golden Girls, struggling with the machine, by the time I get my money and ticket that XC HST was probably in Durham.
I go through barriers an see 185116 in the bay for the Liverpool working, whilst crossing the bridge to platform 4, 67003 is the thunderbird and I amble up to the North end of the platform and await the 10 o'clock to the Cross, winners 43272/43295 are my chariot to Darlington. It's totally rammed, so Im stood in the vestibule for the duration of the trip, just as we're coming up to Tyne Yard the guard checks my ticket and I miss ID'ing the 3 sheds in view, 2 Freds and 1 Ged.
I bail at Darlo, and wander up to see 142087/091 in the bays, a Newcastle bound 185 comes in too but it's 185121 much to my dismay. Whilst waiting at Darlo, I thought I spend a bit time at Northallerton, hopefully see my last Grand Central HST and maybe just maybe 185143 might be on a Middlesbrough- Manchester Airport turn. You never know I quietly convinced myself.
I jump aboard winner 185116 for the short hop to Northallerton, however all too soon, Im off, as I watch 185116 disappear, noticing that the 185's won an award for best new generation DMU, well I never, I thought to myself , never used to give out awards when this was loco hauled, couldn't imagine a scruffy GD 47 with a rosette, saying Best in show.
Anyway my best laid plans to stay in Northallerton for a bit, bit the dust, around 3 mins later, winner 185118, pulled in, so I leapt it to York, where the plan was stay for an hour or so before bailing to Leeds, however which way I didnt really know, would I go via the Harrogate loop, use the Blackpool North stopper or just 185 it, the usual way, I hadn't decided, so I thought let the loco decide or time. One thing I like about York is the DRS stabling point, a chance to see some heritage traction, today it didn't disappoint 20308/309 plus 37606 accompanied by a snowplough, I tried to get a pic on my mobile of the 20's but a metal cantanery post in the way spoilt any hope a decent pic.
Countless sightings of these award winning 185's but still not the one Im after, I'm getting despondent chasing this damn thing but the sight of 43311, cheers me up no end, 1 East Coast HST left, 1 Grand Central and 2 XC to go and theyre done again. With a cheerio, I decline dud 158844 on the Blackpool North turn and decide the Harrogate loop is for another day, i've done it many a time but it's been a while. However time decides my fate now, so I jump aboard winner 185124 and whizz off to Leeds, hoping required gronk 08908 is visible at NL today, it wasn't, although the un-required EMT liveried 08525 was.
Leeds is a fest of various units, I have a love/hate relationship with the place, I hate the place for its confusing platform numbers and love it, for just its sheer variation. I jump off 185124, hoping to scatch off NL's 144 and 155's but I laugh out loud as the first two units I note are none other than HT's 142018 and 093, i tick off a couple of 150's and 170301, much to my delight, nothing required going to Skipton, either D or EMU wise, bar dog box 153328, will I won't I, I decline and after 45mins, I go for a ticket to Sheffield via the Hallam line, in hope of scratching some loco's off Midland road.
Can of Rockstar and ciggie later Im off to see my chariot to Sheffield, on the way to platform 7b, a pair of 185's draw my attention, they're, 185133 and 142, the near miss, makes my heart sink and just to rub salt in, 185144 goes North, I could've cried. Soon after someone takes pity, my chariot to Sheffield is a double winner, 144019 is a winner for sight too, I jump on board and see 66605 come past on a cement train, just then there's a thud, I go to the door and see a 158 coupling up to the 144 I'm on, I jump off and note winner 158903 but before I climb back aboard, I ask, this is still going to Sheffield? I'm told, Yeah both are, so I get back to my seat on the 144, with the intention of bailing onto the 158 at Wakey Kirkgate. The line to Kirkgate is standard fare, my hopes for Midland Road sightings are however, squished like an asthmatic ant carrying heavy shopping, by an abandoned rake of HIA hoppers, completely blocking any chance of ID'ing anything on Midland Road. I bail the 144 at Wakey and onto the 158, got a table seat to myself and stretch out with a coffee in hand, ah bliss.
I thoroughly enjoyed the trip over the Hallam line, it's been far too long since I made this journey, the sight of a proper signal box at Norbury Junction, briefly transported me back in time, to the days as mere 7yr old kid, I'd clamber up and sit with my older cousins on the big stone wall, by the now long gone, signal box on the Newcastle-Sunderland line, just a stone throws away from where the Stadium of Light metro station is now, watching the less award winning but a damn sight more fun, 101's and the odd freight train to South Dock or Wearmouth colliery fly by. I was brought back to reality by the almighty rev of the 158, the inclines up to Barnsley certainly seemed to test it's stamina and with the snow all around, the town of Barnsley and surrounding areas, certainly looked a damn sight more picturesque.
Soon enough we hit the tunnel leading into Sheffield, my first proper visit to the Steel City, since loco hauled travel ceased on the XC 47 days. Nowadays the task in hand was to get some lines under those Meridians, however the 1st one I saw was none other than one of the ex Hull trains fleet, which I certainly didn't want, however all was not lost, I did manage to get half a dozen, as well as an equal amount of the cities trams, which when it went quiet in the station, saw me depart to the tram stop, which doubled as a ciggy break, a win win situation in my book. Hunger got the better of me in the end and the Burger King on the Station was just too convenient, I sat in the bus stop shelter on the platform, the one nearest the fueling point, devoured my grub as 158812 and required for sight 158865 trundled off to Liverpool with tram 109 also required for sight, visible over the wall, that moment alone was priceless.
All too soon though, it was time to go, I declined a voyager, as you do and sought another option back to Leeds, my heart skips a beat when I see HT's 142065, which would be a super dud, come up the platform, I'm thinking, aye, that can do one too but it carries on by much to my relief and winner 150141, took the honour, back over the Hallam line. It's been a while since I travelled behind a 150, however 141's interior is looking a bit shabby but its engine was working just fine. With darkness cutting in, we past Midland Road, I couldn't poitively ID anything, it could have been 66504, it was certainly in the powerhaul livery, coupled up to one of the old DRS 66's that freightliner have loaned, plus 2 others freds and a class 70, maybe 003 at the back of the depot but like I say I can't be positive.
Into Leeds and it's rush hour and it's positively manic, thank god for the dictaphone, everything doubled up, I got 5 required 170's out 6, in a 10 minute spell, I was gonna whizz up to Skipton aboard 333013 but it was heaving and thought better of it, I decided to give it half an hour longer before whizzing to York, 150207 looked odds on for the next trip, over to Harrogate but when a XC HST pulled in with dud 43378 on the front but with required for sight 43207, on the rear, no brainer, I was off to York, just 1 more XC HST now. I could've taken it back to Newcastle but thought, lets see if that 185's kicking about, if it is, I'll get a chance to go back to Leeds on it, if not, at least I might get to see, my last East Coast or Grand Central HST's, maybe both.
The 185 never materialised and at thee time nor did the HST's, after roughly an hour and a half in York, I decided enough was enough and the next available HST, I would be outta there. Sure enough winner 43238, I jumped aboard got a table seat and settled down for the trip back to Newcastle, with the intention of getting the stock and rear power car when I arrived home. I plugged my phone in to charge, threw in the ear phones and pogo'd all the way home with the Ramones. Before you could even say Beat on the Brat, with a baseball bat, we were in Durham and soon enough back on home turf at Newcastle, I walked up the platform and stood watching 43238 depart northwards, taking the stock as it did, well would you believe it, the rear power car was none other than my last required for sight, re-numbered East Coast HST 43315. Talk about finishing on a high note.
Last edited:
