Hi
This is a tester for any you with knowledge/memories of the intense class 37 coal train workings in the Sunderland area about thirty odd years back.
I'm trying to recall a two word expression that was used by train crews and operating staff to describe these 37 hauled class 9 workings. I think it sounded something like 'rolling doors' but my thirty five year old memory really is failing me. I don't know whether it described the status of the working or referred to some obscure location but it was a very common term and seemed particularly associated with South Dock crews. I'm doing some research on freight in the NE in that era and of course coal was a big part of it.
I'd like to be reminded of it if only to understand it better and try and put it into some historical context.
Any help greatly appreciated, as it's really bugging me!
Kind Regards
Steve
This is a tester for any you with knowledge/memories of the intense class 37 coal train workings in the Sunderland area about thirty odd years back.
I'm trying to recall a two word expression that was used by train crews and operating staff to describe these 37 hauled class 9 workings. I think it sounded something like 'rolling doors' but my thirty five year old memory really is failing me. I don't know whether it described the status of the working or referred to some obscure location but it was a very common term and seemed particularly associated with South Dock crews. I'm doing some research on freight in the NE in that era and of course coal was a big part of it.
I'd like to be reminded of it if only to understand it better and try and put it into some historical context.
Any help greatly appreciated, as it's really bugging me!
Kind Regards
Steve