• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North East 4 in 8 Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Wow! Now that it late! At least it was a double winner though!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,837
Location
Nowhere Heath
Aside from freezing the extremities off in Wakefield (Westgate is nasty for biting winds in my experience!), you sure did well there.

Costa hot chocolate, well for some reason they always used to make it hot but someone must have complained, as to have it proper hot now you need to ask for it extra hot.

Looking forward to Day 2 when it's ready, hope you've made it out today after all!
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
North East Rover Day2​
Part 1​
This morning I rose a bit later, the alarm sounded at 06.30 but I carted myself out the bed 10mins later, the snooze button got hit. Object of today, is get to Barnetby after 11, an overnight stay in the Holcombe Guest House is planned and I wanna drop the spare clothes and travel bag off but I also want to get some time in Doncaster and Sheffield before I do.

I packed my bag, with spare clothes, travel bag and a few odds n ends to munch on, flicked the kettle on and went for a shower. The neccessities done in the bathroom and after filling the flask, double checking I've got everything, I'm at the bus stop for 07.45, awaiting, what you bus cranks will probably call the green peril, a streetlite, as I'm reliably informed, I call it the No.53.

Due to traffic over the Redheugh Bridge progress is slow but Im at Central just before 08.30, Im on the North End of Platform 3, being blown to hell by these poxy gales, that won't go away, the 08.40 to Aberdeen is late and the anouncement didn't come as a shock, due to overhead wire damage between Darlington and Thirsk, I say it didn't come as a shock because on the way home last night, the wind was absolutely battering the train. About 5mins before my train arrived,(the 08.59) in came yesterday mornings duds, 43316/238, on the 08.40, oh good there not on mine then.

I needn't have got myself too excited because last nights double winners, were this mornings double duds, as 43309 and 43317, carted me to York and with the 09.10 to Lime Street cancelled, there was no point bailing at Darlington, for whatever 185 was behind. Sure enough after a few minutes out of Darlo we ground to a halt, the guard telling us due to overhead line damage, Northbound trains, were switching over to the Southbound track and back onto the Northbound to pass the affected area, at this point I thought of, tech, kite and Keith, theres 3 guys who like a bit of a diversion or PSUL, I was fairly confident that they'd have liked that one, quite how you'd mark that one in your atleses guys, Im not sure. The delay wasn't bad, we were told it could be 20mins but in truth, after a blunt went Northwards, we were off after about 5mins at most.

Into York about 8 down, I jumped off my train, straight onto the York-Kings X on the adjacent platform without checking what blunt was on, I checked at Donnie and found it to be dud 91132, hmm not a great start at all. Still I was in Donnie by 10.35. Again 67008 was stood ticking over, I cursed it, for having the termerity of not being 13. Even stranger was the sight of 91129, stood on it's lonesome in the North end bay platform, I dunno but I think they look bloody hideous when they're stood like that, it's like the designer thought, I know we'll cross a class 90 and a 20, no doubt the same bloke invented the voyager, as a way to get me back, for not liking the blunts. Anyhow I digress, no more than 5mins later, I'm off again, this time to Sheffield aboard this mornings first winner, 170303.

I clicked a couple of Sheffield's trams at Meadowhall and after bailing a the Steel City I went over the bridge, to see what the Meridian was in the far Platform 222011 was duly copped and made my way back over the bridge to see if there was any sign of those errant 144's Im chasing after, I check the bays and whilst reciting the numbers onto my dictaphone, I notice a group of 4 young adults, aka students, one lad in particular pointing in my general direction, I look to see if theres anything over my shoulder, worth pointing at, there isn't but I try to ignore it.

Another Meridian comes in, again, its a click this time, 222018, I say the number in my dictaphone and amble down the same platform, I look ahead and I just know somethings gonna be said to me as I pass, I was ready for them too. I get within 4ft of them and this guy, cockilly says, Excuse me but can you tell me and my friends what your up to? I know what he wanted me to say, Im trainspotting mate, so he could try and show me up, except I didn't, instead I said, oh I'm sorry, I was wondering if my t*$t magnet was working, thanks, now I know it is, his friends just all burst out laughing, while he stood open mouthed, as I walked away, I heard his mate say, ha ha, your owned and more laughing. I must admit, I walked away with the biggest smirk on my face and a nice warm glow inside, in fact that was as warm as I felt all bloody day, it was numb again. Ironically they got on the EMT 158's to Norwich, where I clicked 158856. My new friend gave me the finger as they left, I laughed and mockingly rubbed my eyes, as if crying.

Not long after, I went up to the tram stop outside the station had a ciggy, clicking 2 more trams in the process, I made my way back over to Platform 3b for the Cleethorpes train, this I was taking to Barnetby. Another winner, this time in the form of 185110. Where I managed to get a table seat and get my phone on charge, it was desperate again. Passing Roberts Road, only yeilded dud 66724 but cop 08927, bit of a result indeed. The trip to Barnetby was largely uneventful, the sight and the sheer the size of the steel works in Scunthorpe, made me think of all those good folk who have either lost or will be losing their jobs, I must admit, I feel for everyone of them.

We arrive in Barnetby and as expected, it's blowing a hooly and damn cold, Its not long before a DB shed, 66164 comes through, soon after I go find my digs for the evening. Now High Praise indeed goes to fishquinn for the heads up on the this, the guesthouse was a doddle to find, mind you Lord Tram text me the directions, I'd forgotten the name of the place. I checked in, to what essentially is a couple of houses, knocked together and converted into a B n B, the place was clean and tidy and the two ladies I met were very friendly and welcoming, without going overboard. I was asked, would I like a full English Breakfast for £7.50 or £4.50 for continental. Sorry I said, full english please, Im not faffing on with a bun and orange juice and handed over the £7.50. You can order an evening meal if you like, tonights Curry, must admit, It smelt delicious and from my professional opinion, it looked delicious too but I declined. The main part of guesthouse was full but over the road, was another converted house, the annexe, I'm told. This was as close to your own home as you can get(unless you live on a boat ofcourse), own kitchen, fridge microwave and lounge with TV. It was very nice indeed. My room, No.17, a single room with en suite AND WAIT FOR IT, A view out the window which you could see the line in and out of Barnetby station, I could see the numbers on the 2 EWS liveried DB sheds that went past, a decent pair of Bino's, I'd forgot mine and I'd have got the red DB Shed that went through too. I made a coffee and took half an hour out, before dropping my extra gear off and making my way out, noticing how nice the back garden here would be to sit in the summer, before nippimg over the road to the shop, getting a £3 meal deal and off to the station for 45mins before the 15.53 took me back Doncaster way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
North East Rover
Day 2, Part 2​

I got back to Barnetby station and first thing through was an EMT Dogbox, 153379 and I walked over the bridge to await some freight trains and my chariot back to Donny, 66168 came through and a lad was there taking the wagon numbers. I asked, much been through?, I'm informed theres only been 13 different loco's through, since 11am and its now gone 3pm. Any GB or freightliner workings, the lad says, Nah, just EWS. I asked if he'd seen what the number of the red shed that went through earlier, that I'd seen from my room window, again I'm told nah, Ive got em all, I don't take much notice of them, just go for the wagon numbers. On seeing my dictaphone, as 185127 came in, he asked, you do wagons too? No but my hat goes off to you lads who do, I've got more than enough on my hands doing loco's, units and coaching stock.

He got on telling me about, the new biomass wagons and on hearing they were working out of Liverpool bulk terminal, he went to Warrington to get them and they never showed. I said, sods law that mate, he continued, yeah for sure, I turned up here the following monday and they came through here. After another bit yack, he said, right thats me off, have a good day. Hope you have more luck than me and off he went.

Poor soul must've only been gone 5mins when a pair of Colas 60's(087/026) came through light engine, followed by 60059 on an Oil train, 66132 and 66601 came through with coal trains. However, 15.53 came and went, then it disappeared off the PIS board, no mention of the word cancelled, no station anouncement and even more frustrating no toilet, I was bursting and I was totally unaware the toilets where 300yds away out the station, so much so, I saw the Cleethorpes train coming so I hobbled over the bridge and jumped on winner 185104, for a much needed PNB, the warmth was very much appreciated too, as I made my first foray into a shack scratching, so to speak with a run, or should that be a run off to Habrough. A short walk off the platform over the level crossing and up to the right of the staggered platform, I was mightily relieved, in every sense of the word but I'm now an hour behind, my mood wasn't exactly helped neither, when fresh dud 170303 returned to take me back to Donny.

I bailed and saught inspiration from the PIS, 5mins platform 8, one to Leeds, any form of winner and Im away, I was rewarded with winner 91101 in Virgin's Flying Scotsman Livery, cmplete with Union Jack and Saltaire flags. Yeah that will do me, maybe me just knit picking, the Flying Scotsman, from London KX to that Scottish Capital of Leeds????? Anyhoo, I took that to Wakefield Westgate and bailed, i crossed over the bridge and was met very nicely by winner zings 43313 and 43305 back to Donny, where I bailed from platform 8, accross onto 4 straight onto another winner in 158872for another spin to Sheffield, good move too because I clicked another 4 trams and an EMT 158. Time was marching on, I looked for another move, nowt was going my way and what was, was a voyager or pacer. I politely declined and waited for the Manchester Airport to Cleethorpes, I knew winner 185127 was due back on either this or the next one, I made my way out the station for some food, I found a kebab shop and bought, just that. I wolfed it down, mainly cos I was clamming, however it wasn't the best and for close to a fiver, hardly a bargain for what was in it neither.

Having stuffed my face, I got a coffee and had a ciggy too before making my way back to Platform 3b, sure enough winner 185127 had indeed returned for my chariot back to Doncaster, well so I thought, I put my phone on charge and put some tunes on, Neds Atomic Dustbin blasting in my ears done the trick, Kill Your Television, Green Cells Grey, Traffic and All I ask of myself, mixed with cafine from coffe and coke all day, had me bouncing, I got texting trying to convince a certain forum member to give em a listen, I was in my own world and didn't realise where the hell I was, I looked up and saw we were pulling into Scumthorpe station. Ooops what the hell happened to Doncaster:roll::lol::lol::lol: Ah to hell with it, an early night wont harm, it took me an extra 5mins to find my part of the guest house, it was dark and wasnt sure which house it was, I knew it was next to the house with a for sale board next to it, however what I hadn't realised, that the house on the other side was up for sale too, I went for the one in the middle and thankfully I'd chosen the right one. I made for upstairs, made a cuppa and came down to the lounge, switched on the TV and checked the footy results, my team drew 0-0 at Barrow, I'll take that, before checking the other leagues results and went back upstairs for a shower then hit the sack, knackered but happy.
 
Last edited:
Joined
31 Oct 2015
Messages
241
Great stuff 47403! I like the way you dealt with the norms, I'd never be rude to anyone but if they were deliberately trying to take the p*ss then so be it :roll: You should try standing in a bus station with a notebook and see the looks you get, I can imagine a dictaphone would really get them at it but I save that for the car :) I guess your team must be Gateshead? I went there to watch Buxton a few years back twice in a week. League match where we 'deliberately' put some kids out to avoid you in the play-off semi's (it worked, we lost 5-0), and then after beating Witton in the play-off semi's lost to you again in the final the week after. I tried to talk James Curtis into signing for Buxton in the bar afterwards but he wasn't having any :p
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Some good stuff there, as for the normals, well conformists is what I call them.
They're to be looked on with pity because they do what their peers do and lose a lot of their individuality in an effort to not be thought odd ;).
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Great stuff 47403! I like the way you dealt with the norms, I'd never be rude to anyone but if they were deliberately trying to take the p*ss then so be it :roll: You should try standing in a bus station with a notebook and see the looks you get, I can imagine a dictaphone would really get them at it but I save that for the car :) I guess your team must be Gateshead? I went there to watch Buxton a few years back twice in a week. League match where we 'deliberately' put some kids out to avoid you in the play-off semi's (it worked, we lost 5-0), and then after beating Witton in the play-off semi's lost to you again in the final the week after. I tried to talk James Curtis into signing for Buxton in the bar afterwards but he wasn't having any :p

Many thanks jay. Much appreciated. Oh they were indeed trying to extract the water. I normally just ignore folk but he was just being a total pillock.
You assume right jay, 30years service to the Heed. I too was at both them games. Your keeper told us, they'd tried to avoid us too. We should've won the League that year to be honest but the play offs were exciting games, well they are if you win, James Curtis is a club legend, still playing for us too.

55013 said

Some good stuff there, as for the normals, well conformists is what I call them.
They're to be looked on with pity because they do what their peers do and lose a lot of their individuality in an effort to not be thought odd .

Thanks for the kind words 55013, conformists, theres a new un on me.
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,837
Location
Nowhere Heath
Ahh, that's what the reference was! Bang tidy reaction there, I might keep it in mind! Conformists is a new one on me too, might be nicking that from 55013!

Must have been grand basically having the whole house to yourself, I had similar last year when I had a whole apartment to myself by chance on the way home from the Borders Railway. Always nice when you're only expecting a little room and nowt else.

I'm bearing that place in mind, as it will be ridiculously useful for shack scratching missions up that way. Just need to get some cash together and get on with it all now!

As always, an excellent read and I look forward to the next part :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Single Line Working you did, well that would need a Quail track diagrams book to record that.
 
Last edited:

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Ahh, that's what the reference was! Bang tidy reaction there, I might keep it in mind! Conformists is a new one on me too, might be nicking that from 55013!

Must have been grand basically having the whole house to yourself, I had similar last year when I had a whole apartment to myself by chance on the way home from the Borders Railway. Always nice when you're only expecting a little room and nowt else.

I'm bearing that place in mind, as it will be ridiculously useful for shack scratching missions up that way. Just need to get some cash together and get on with it all now!

As always, an excellent read and I look forward to the next part :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Single Line Working you did, well that would need a Quail track diagrams book to record that.

Many thanks tech, much appreciated, as for the Quail, I'm afraid you'll have to excuse my ignorance, Im none the wiser mate.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,837
Location
Nowhere Heath
Quails are basically like atlases for different areas, just in far higher detail. It's essentially a massive lot of track layout diagrams, showing all the crossovers, Up and Down lines, flyovers, track formations on non-passenger lines etc. It's track bashing at an advanced level!
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
North East Rover
Day 3​

After a great nights sleep, I'm woken at 06.30 by my alarm clock, I get up flick the kettle on and go for a shower, feeling a 100 times better and more importantly, half human again. I get ready and make a coffee and sit on the edge of bed, contemplating todays trevails. Today I'm gonna see if these Meridians are up to much, I'm not wholly convinced about them, they look too much like voyagers to me but everyone on here has said, they're better than voyagers and who am I to argue with the good folk on here, when I haven't ridden one myself.

I have my breakfast booked for half 7 and that leaves plenty time to eat it and be up to Barnetby station for a good half hour before the 08.53 whisks me off to Doncaster, should it actually turn up this time. I pack up and tidy up before I leave the room, checking I've left nothing and amble over the road for my breakfast.

I hand the key in and go to a table, where the breakfast staff, ask if I'm having cereal first, I said no, just bring the breakfast with no baked beans please. I grab a glass of Apple Juice, not a wise choice really, especially when you've just brushed your teeth about 10mins ago. Fortunately, I'm brought a cafetiere of coffee and trust me, its like coffee gold, I pop two slices of bread in the toaster, grab some butter and await my much anticipated breakfast. The breakfast consisted of 2 sausage, 2 bacon, mushrooms, grilled tomato, fried egg, fried bread and rhe peice de ressistance, black pudding. Needless to say I walloped the lot, plus toast, washing it all down with another cafetiere of coffee. £7.50 royally spent in my eyes. I left leaving my compliments on a lovely stay and a fantastic breakfast. I call into the shop, get another meal deal for later and a huge bar of Dairy Milk and off I troop to Barnetby Station. I have roughly 30mins till my train outta there and I get talking to a fellow crank, videoing the action, it always nice talking to fellow cranks, almost all are good folk to chat to and this guy was no exception. I was telling him I was outta there on the 08.53 and he went onto RTT and said, well theres this one and that one due in, that one and that one before you go, however I had to whisper the numbers into my dictaphone as he was recording but I really appreciated the gen and left with a handshake thanking him for his time.

I walked onto the platform to see a dogbox approaching Platform 1, it was 153379 again, Im assuming it was going to Lincoln, I never checked if totally honest. Not long after dud 185110 came in to take me to Donnie again. The journey was a bit more eventful this time, passing 66598 on the way, as well as 66128 and 66014 parked outside Tata Steel at Scunthorpe, just outside Doncaster 37218 and 37610 top n tailed an engineers train and Colas 56113, had come out the Yard, where the tampers reside too, there was another 56 in Colas livery in there but I couldn't ID that one.

A quick hop to the cashpoint was needed, drawing some cash out for my little add on. Today I was going over to Nottingham, basically to seek out some of my EMT 153, 156, 158 and see if I could add to the swelling Meridian requirements. EMT HST stock, needed a good looking at too and if you add the NET of which I had none whatsoever for sight, then you can see why I added Nottingham, to this trip. This obviously included trying out a meridian for haulage, however before all of that I had to get to Sheffield first.

I wait at platform 3 at Doncaster, theres others that could take me to Sheffield but I have no desire to ride behind 142068, 092 or 144005, which I've seen going that way the last couple of days. So I stand patiently for either a 170 or a 185, Im rewarded with winner 185117 for the trip to Sheffield, again there's nowt to see on Roberts Road again and whilst 185117 is standing at the station at Meadowhall, I see a rare thing, a dud for sight tram in 105. We arrive into Sheffield a couple of minutes down, whilst waiting for a platform, it's no bother though. Again I traipse the bay platforms in search of those 144's, 144014 is the closest I get to the required 15, even 1 of the 3, I was after before the rover, 144022 has now become a stalker, as has 144020. I go and buy an off peak day return to Nottingham and after a ciggy break, I walk over to see which Meridian will be my steed to Derby.

The Railway goods smile down on me and give me (AR)winner 222005, I get aboard and get a table seat, the interior is certainly better than their Crosscountry cousins, the chairs seem a lot more comfy too. We get the off and I have to agree the Meridians engines seem a bit more throaty than the voyagers, so I tend to agree with the common consensus, the Meridians are better than voyagers, that's endorsed even more, when I cop 222001 at Chesterfield.

I bail at Derby and have an hour or so, seeing whats about, none of my 4 required DY 156's are floating round, so I decide may as well make tracks, a pair of XC 170's arrive in, 170112 is a dud but it's partner 170114 is a winner, so I decide to sit on that, positioning myself for the ride past RVEL and Etches Park. I got what I could from the crap window seat I had, turning left, I noticed a ScotRail liveried 68 and a maroon and black gronk parked up, on the opposite side to RVEL, which unfortunately I hadn't seen till it was far too late to ID either, luckily there was a fellow crank on the train too, I asked if he'd seen what the NR 73 was? he said sorry I was looking at the 68, I saw that, asking which one was it?, I didn't notice it till it was too late, I'm informed, it was cat 6. That's twice I've seen it now, once at Kingmoor and now Derby, I think it's just flirting with ScotRail personally. If indeed that gentleman's a member of this forum, I'd like to thank him for helping me out too.

The plan was have a few hours here and then make my way back via Derby and Sheffield back over to Leeds, see if I could put a dint in those NL requirements. Those few hours just flew in Nottingham, I managed to get 156410 on the cop list to join a couple of dogboxes and 158's, along with a couple more Meridians(by I've done well with them today), 2 rakes of HST stock out of 3 seen and a timed 20min spell at the top of the stairs on Nottingham NET station gains 8 cops from the trams. Its time to move though and I miss out on a ride to Beeston on what would've been an (AR)winner meridian, the doors close as I reach the bottom of the steps, however nothings lost, as I walk up the platform I notice winner 156414 is on a stopper to Derby and seen as I have a soft spot for 156's and as I haven't had one for haulage on this trip, it seems too good to turn down, again I get a table seat and position myself for Etches Park and RVEL. The journey flies over, as I enjoy the 156 blasting along, this time I get whats visible at both RVEL and Etches Park, copping most of the NR test coaching stock, as well as gronks 08417and the maroon one from earlier 08899 and a nice brucie bonus when 97302 had joined the party. I must ask, whats the 37 in there with no number on?, it looks like it's gonna be another large logo liveried one, it look immaculatley painted but like I've said, had no numbers.

By the time I arrive in Derby, Im starving, I've polished off my meal deal whilst watching trams but its barely filled a gaping void in my stomach, I go off the station, to the chippy and order sausage and chips, the guy behind the counter asks where Im from, obviously noticing my very charming Geordie accent:lol: I say Newcastle, it's pointless saying Gateshead. I'm told he had a great time there, when he went up there for a stag do, adding, he couldn't understand a word most of them Geordies said, half the time. He put my food in a bag and popped a menu in too, I asked, why the menu too. He looked and said we do deliveries too, I burst out laughing and said, what to Newcastle? he just laughed and said take it, it's my gift.

As I was eating my tea,(16.14 to be precise) my phone went and to cut a long story short, my trip to Leeds went pop, nothing life threatening but I did have to get home. I scanned the PIS, there was a train to Sheffield soon, well that was a starter, unfortunately it was a returning 222005 and it was rammed, standing room only. I bailed at Sheffield and was looking for a train to Donnie, when I noticed Cross Country HST to Glasgow Central, that'll do, home in one foul swoop, however I was mindful of the journey I'd made Monday evening aboard 43285 and 43301, I bailed at Leeds, while they went to Edinburgh. Now I was sure they'd probably spent most of Tuesday, going to Plymouth, so it's not impossible, they could return today. Unfortunately I had no choice but to ride it, even if it was an HST or a voyager. I awaited my fate on Platform 2 at Sheffield, sure enough it was an HST and furthermore my hunch was right it was duds 43285 and 43301, to add to the woes, it was rammed, all the way back home. I did manage to get a window airline seat, so my phone was at least on charge and although my day ended a bit more abruptly than I had planned, the cops list, had ensured I had a good day regardless. A change of plans on Friday too, meant I was having the Thursday off the Rover, which meant I had a day to recover, a much needed lie in, was required before hitting the rails for the last day on friday and what a day that proved to be indeed.
 
Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
Another two excellent reads! I'm glad I could be of help with the B n B.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,573
Location
Macclesfield
Even stranger was the sight of 91129, stood on it's lonesome in the North end bay platform, I dunno but I think they look bloody hideous when they're stood like that, it's like the designer thought, I know we'll cross a class 90 and a 20
Of course the styling was intended to present the IC225s as a homogenous, one piece train formation rather than as a traditional loco-hauled train, as the streamlining would never be needed when running blunt end first at the lower speeds demanded by the sleeper and "fast" intermodal trains the 91s were intended to work overnight. They do indeed look very strange from the blunt end though.

There always seems to be a lone 91 sitting around at Doncaster, usually in the works yard, whenever I have passed through of late.
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
$
Entertaining stuff, looking forward to reading the rest.

fishquin said:- Another two excellent reads! I'm glad I could be of help with the B n B.

Many thanks lads, yeah you certainly came up trumps with the B n B, Mater Fishquinn:D:D

sprinterguy said:- Of course the styling was intended to present the IC225s as a homogenous, one piece train formation rather than as a traditional loco-hauled train, as the streamlining would never be needed when running blunt end first at the lower speeds demanded by the sleeper and "fast" intermodal trains the 91s were intended to work overnight. They do indeed look very strange from the blunt end though.
well I never!!! I was unaware that they were originally going to use them on Intermodals as well. I've learnt something new today.

North East Rover
Day 4​

Having spent most of Thursday either asleep or lounging round doing very little, I think it's fair to say I was feeling more refreshed. The usual happens, the alarm goes off, this time 06.45, I'd packed my bag the night before, had a shower and stuff, cup of coffee and toast, ready and away for the bus, just missing the 07.45 one into town. 15 minutes later Im on the bus, however traffic is horrendous by 08.25, we're still nowhere near geting over the Redheugh Bridge, however the bus driver radios in and asks if he can divert, he gets permission from control and he whizzes the bus, a different route, along by the River Tyne, over the swing bridge and back onto his route, by 08.35, I'm off the bus at the top of Clayton St, by fishquinns fave Geordie takeaway, 2 min walk down Pink Lane and onto the North end of Platform 3, awaiting the 08.59 by just after 08.40, with a cup of coffee from the flask.

Today's about winners, as many as possible, duds are a no go today, if possible ofcourse and the 08.59 can scupper it almost immediately.
I noticed the other day that the 10.03 York-Kings Cross is the stopper to LKX, so stops at Retford and seen as the 08.59 is non stop to LKX after York, the 10.03, is parked in an adjacent Platform, so passengers can jump from one to the other, if you want any stations south of York, I also found out, the 10.03 is held if the 08.59 is late, for how long I'm not entirely sure. So hence the plan to go to use my rover to its furthest South boundary of Retford, with the added bonus of going past Donnie yard.

Im stood looking North to see what VTEC HST can scupper my intended winners day, will I be bowled for a duck, or will I ease one away first ball for a couple, whatever the outcome I'm stood in the corridor of uncertainty for the time being.

Double winners get me off the mark 43308 and 43314, thus starting the day as I mean to go on and the end of these daft cricket analogies. No overhead wire trouble and it's the standard run to York, where I bail, straight onto the 10.03, a straight hop off and onto flagged winner the other day, onto today's winner 91109 Sir Bobby Robson for the next port of call Retford. I get a table seat in a largely empty coach and sit back, as we approach Doncaster, 66167 is passed on a south bound modal. Then much to the guards annoyance, it's given the road before us, which suits me fine, means we wont be hurtling past Donnie Yard, not that I'm expecting to se a great deal, still I get the dictaphone ready and make for the end vestibule and get ready, I've got a bottle of coke, which I quickly have a drink of, as we pass Donnie Yard, its 66176, 66044, 67013, the last one gives me the shock of my life and I drop my coke but I have to carry on I get a few more loco's and Im bowled by a northbound blunt, before I get the rest I can ID, a freightliner shed on heavyhaul blocks the GB sheds on view, inside my head Im screaming YYYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! whilst trying to keep it together, getting the rest. A minute or so later, we've left Donnie yard behind and I'm almost jumping through hoops, 67013 copped and the skips are classed:D:D:D:D:D, I look down and my jeans are covered in coke:oops::oops::roll::roll: All too soon we're in Retford and I go and pat Sir Bobby's train, the Patron Saint of Geordies, came up trumps, well sort of, as we pulled into Retford, an immediate connection North was missed. I went for a ciggy to celebrate, the score of 67013 with a grin as wide as the Tyne. Now though, I had to find a train out of here, without a mega fester. Platform 3, there was a train to Sheffield via everywhere, I went down and had a butchers, I got to the end of the path, looked down and saw a 142. My response isn't for on here but it was just 2 words, the 2nd word was, that.

I walked back and checked the PIS and saw a train bound for Hull, was due in 7 minutes, Hull trains don't like Rovers, so I gladly forked out the price of a single to Donny, rather than fester at Retford for 1hr 46mins. This meant the run of winners would continue because I'd hadn't had a 180 for haulage, plus I got another chance to pick off whatever was covered by the fred on the Heavy haul on Donnie Yard. Its all win win really.

I get my ticket and scoot through the underpass to platform 4, I think, I got mixed up with the platforms there and after a couple of minutes of waiting, I'm onboard winner 180111. Have to say the 180's seem alright but they have an irritating squeal about them, not that I was too bothered, I was still on a high. I'm ready again, dictaphone in hand for a 2nd whizz past Donnie Yard, even more loco's are ID'd, 2 red 90's and a GB shed remain UID, seeing 47848 and 47815 there too, just made smile even more. Altogether on Donnie Yard was 18 loco's, 3 remained UID, it's the 1st time I've ever seen as much on there, I'm totally convinced the railway gods are in my corner today.

I bail at Doncaster and make over to Frenchgate, Im off to Burger King, a large Double Chilli Cheeseburger meal is sought and devoured and the large coke barely touched the sides. I make the most of a break from the Station with a ciggy break before returning to the PIS and sussing out the next winner move. I go through the underpass onto Platform 8 and await the next train to Leeds, 2 reasons for Leeds, 1 it could be a winner, plus those darn pesky NL units need striking off and if I'm gonna do it, then being at Leeds, leading up to peak and during the peak period is a sure way of having a damn good chance. I'm in luck, winner 91107, ferries me off to Leeds, where I unusually get a table seat to myself, nothing too spectacular happens en route to Leeds, where I bail off and going hunting any cops and winners for haulage.

150211 adds itself to the ever growing cops list but very little else, however I see a winning move, 153301 and 150269 are off to Morecambe, I duly jump on the dog box for a bit of dogbox trash up to Shipley, as we're leaving Leeds, I score 158817 for sight, get in, only 1 more NL 158 to find. We arrive in Shipley and I make my way over to the far Platform and score 333006 for sight, going to Bradford Forster Sq. Woohoo, 2 333's to find now too. It got better when, winner 322484 arrived to take me back to Leeds.

Back in Leeds I'm eyeing up some more winner moves, I check to see what 185's are on the trans pennine route, 2 I see are duds, then winner 158842 comes in, so I jump on that for a move up to Bradford Interchange, I get a table seat and my eyes are peeled out the window, looking for any of those units required that reside at NL, Just before we turn off to take the line to Bramley and New Pudsey, 158815 appears, get the fudge in, my last required NL 158 required for sight. fists clenched in mini celebration. I even thought I'd scored 142034 for sight at New Pudsey, alas, it was a dud for sight. I bail off 158842 and quickly go off in search of the nearest PIS, I've got potentially 10mins for a train back to Leeds as long as it's not a 142 or 144 anyway. I scoot off the station have a quick ciggy and return to see winner 158752 is my steed back to Leeds.

Im in dire need of a coffee, so I make haste off 158752, straight into Pumpkin, get a medium cappucino and a Mars Duo. I wander over the bridge and see a 144 parked in the bay, it's 144018, come on, where the hell are you 144015, also where the hell is 322482, my last one of the 5 322's. I'd barely got the words out of my head, in fact I was texting Lord Tram, wondering where the hell it was, when I turned round and it pulled in behind me, I was like the churchill dog, Oh yesss!!!!, even more so when I found out 322482 was going to Skipton, I shot over the bridge and jumped on the (AR)winner. It was chocker block, rush hour and standing room only, bloody wild horses couldn't have dragged me off that regardless. A quick butchers at the PIS at Skipton, showed 1 back to Leeds on the opposite platform in a couple of minutes, so I bound over the bridge and sure enough in rolled winner 321903, would've been an all round winner 2 days ago but I wasn't complaining at all.

A chane of scenery was needed, no sign of that errant 144 and I wanted to get a run to Doncaster and Sheffield in, there was a blunt ready to go over to Doncaster, if it was a winner count me in, it was indeed 91127, was scored and when I got on it was rammed, I had to move down 3 coaches just to find a vestibule with enough space to stand in. At Wakefield Westgate the guard announced, Can those who have left their fencing gear in the luggage rack, please report to coach H immediatley please. Where delayed here for about 8 minutes. the guard comes through and explains the delay, apparently the gear had fell from the luggage rack and completely blocked the aisle, so he asked them to put in the guards van, DVT, whatever it is these days, then apologised for the delay.

Into Doncaster and time was pressing on, I saw a 144 in the North end bay, I honestly thought I've got you, you horrible thing, I was wrong it was 144016, I was devastated:lol::lol: Still I wanted to keep the winning run going and without having to change platform 185150 did just that, for the last run over to Sheffield.

Unfortunately no winner trams for sight at Sheffield or so I thought, when I was about to walk away 120 turned up. I walked down onto the platform to find another winner and see if that last 144 was in any of the bays, unfortunately not but 158864 and 158854 added 2 more to the cops list. 158908 got me out to Doncaster, still unscathed on the winners front, ow the only thing that could bowl me out was the last train home from Donny to Newcastle.

When I got to Doncaster and bailed of 158908, I saw 67008, this weeks thunderbird parked in one of the South facing bays but I could hear another one, somewhere. I walked over to platform 8 and there in the yard, heading a rake of mark 4's, was 67013, it was like it'd come to wave me away, not long after a blunt approached, I crossed my fingers and hoped, it couldn't have been more apt to a Geordie if it had tried, 91107 Blaydon Races, whats more it was a winner too. I was delighted to have finished the last day, without a dud for haulage all day.

I set out to achieve a clear out of NL requirements, I was left 3 short of the 16 I required in total, not a bad effort at all in my book. I was delighted with what I bagged and when you see the stats you'll see why.

Trip Stats

Total Cops:- 130
Loco's:- 11
DMU's:- 35
EMU's:- 6
Light Rail:- 17(8 NET, 9 Sheff)
Coaching Stock:- 51
Winner Haulages:- 40(3 were all round winners)
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,837
Location
Nowhere Heath
Two excellent reads there good sir! I would have done for winners there myself, 322482 and 321903 being two that jumped out at me. No doubt several others too, although I know the 170s and 156 are dud for me.

You did very well indeed all round there, I think it's fair to say you're more than chuffed! Where in Derby is that chippy? I could do with imprinting that in memory for future trips.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Some excellent days there! Sounds like a productive few days too, i'd probably struggle to get 40 winners in 4 days in the rover area these days.
 

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
4 Oct 2013
Messages
6,645
Location
-
As I said via PM, congratulations on 67013! What a brilliant day you had there though with no duds for haulage! I'd have been mega happy with that!
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Two excellent reads there good sir! I would have done for winners there myself, 322482 and 321903 being two that jumped out at me. No doubt several others too, although I know the 170s and 156 are dud for me.

You did very well indeed all round there, I think it's fair to say you're more than chuffed! Where in Derby is that chippy? I could do with imprinting that in memory for future trips

Huh, it must have re-opened then, maybe new owners since I last was there. Cheers for the gen!

I was unaware it closed but your welcome, many thanks for the kind words tech, as regards the 322 and 321, I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Chuffed isn't the word.

kite159 said:- Congrats on a productive few days in the north east :)
Many thanks kite, very much appreciated young sir.:D

rg177 said:- Some excellent days there! Sounds like a productive few days too, i'd probably struggle to get 40 winners in 4 days in the rover area these days.
I tend to agree with you squire, you probably would struggle to get 40 winners, in that area, your always out and about, your parents must wonder what you look like at times;):lol::lol:. Just make sure you keep that Geordie flag flying high in them milage charts bonny lad, many thanks for the kind words.

fishquinn said:- As I said via PM, congratulations on 67013! What a brilliant day you had there though with no duds for haulage! I'd have been mega happy with that!
I was young Quinn and many thanks for trying to keep me informed where 67013 was. I'm probably at more of an advantage than others, mainly because I'm old school, I never bothered with units, so I have more of a chance of scoring them for haulage these days. This section has certainly motivated me, to get out and try stuff. Old habits die hard though with pacers and voyagers, I may need professional help before I can do them:lol::lol::lol::lol:. I never ever thought I'd see the day, when I would admit to having a soft spot for some of them, especially 153 and 156's. again many thanks for the kind words regarding the trip report.

Now my funs out the way, I maybe able to catch up with everyone elses trip reports, something tells me theres gonna be a mountain of reading to do.

If your going out on the rails soon. Happy Hunting folks.
 
Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
Good read!

Your red 90's at Doncaster will have been 90018 and 90036, they'd been there for the past 3 weeks. Doing trips to Tyne Yard and back.
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
I thought I spent more than enough time in Darlo at it deserves;):lol::lol:, seen me spend more than enough time there in the mid 80's riding the transpennine turns and extended times, waiting for pairs of 31's to arrive on the Paignton summer Saturday turn.
 

Keith Jarrett

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2010
Messages
1,132
Location
No longer in London
You can be spoilt for choice of where to go with the North East Rover - it just covers so much territory. Any road, it looks like you had a fab time and managed some serious bashing over the four days - all those holes filled in your books.

That chippy in Derby sounds useful - it'll make a change from Supermarket food for sustenance when I'm in the Eat Midlands next time.
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
You can be spoilt for choice of where to go with the North East Rover - it just covers so much territory. Any road, it looks like you had a fab time and managed some serious bashing over the four days - all those holes filled in your books.

That chippy in Derby sounds useful - it'll make a change from Supermarket food for sustenance when I'm in the Eat Midlands next time.

Yeah Keith, it did fill a few holes in the NREA, this unit bashing is still all new to me, so I've got a bit of an advantage on most in here on that front to be brutally honest.

Also I stayed in areas where I had most vacancies, in my NREA so to speak, hence no move to Carlisle, although the bus replacements from Newcastle did put me off too, even though the lure of the 37's did loom large. Also to Berwick, nowt worth taking 2 hours out of the Rover, for very little to gain, especially as I could catch up with them further South if I needed to.

The chippy at Derby was very handy, not sure of opening and closing times but the battered sausagw and chips went down a treat. Which is more than I can say for the kebab shop 5mins out of Sheffield station, if I hadn't of been so hungry, that may well have been thrown in the bin.
 
Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I thought I spent more than enough time in Darlo at it deserves;):lol::lol:, seen me spend more than enough time there in the mid 80's riding the transpennine turns and extended times, waiting for pairs of 31's to arrive on the Paignton summer Saturday turn.

I remember them well! Did they change for another/bigger loco somewhere en route?
 

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
I remember them well! Did they change for another/bigger loco somewhere en route?

not normally rich, odd time it had a 45/0 or an NB 47 on but normally it was a pair of 31's, sure sign it was the 31's, would be to go to the arrivals board and just watch the delay get longer and longer, 2 31's dragging a rake of 10, was inevitable. Still loved them though.
 

55013

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2005
Messages
1,577
Location
Yorkshire
Brilliant stuff.
Congratulations on getting 67013, I bet that felt good.
I see 158815 has finally been captures as well :)
Whilst you were at Derby you didn't fancy popping down the road and pay homage to the cab of 37411 in the pub beer garden, then?
 
Last edited:

47403

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2012
Messages
2,206
Location
Geordie Republic of Gateshead
Brilliant stuff.
Congratulations on getting 67013, I bet that felt good.
I see 158815 has finally been captures as well :)
Whilst you were at Derby you didn't fancy popping down the road and pay homage to the cab of 37411 in the pub beer garden, then?

Yeah it was an exciting time seeing 67013, always nice to get the last one in the bag, also like fishquinn, thanks to you for also letting me know it was in the area too. In fact I dropped my bottle of coke, which went all over my trainers and jeans, I got such a shock to see it on Donnie yard and try and keep it together to get the multitude of loco's onto my dictaphone, trying not to swear at myself for being a berk. Was delighted to see it, especially when I thought it was residing somewhere on the West Coast, after I'd heard it had went to Wigan.

Getting all but 3 of the 16 NL requirements, was definitely a huge bonus, with the 158's getting scattered all over, I was of the opinion, that the 144's, were more likely to get scratched off, rather than the 2 158's, I needed.

Which beer garden is the cab of 37411 in? I was unaware of it I'm afraid to say.

Many thanks for the kind words too, much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top