shoulderinback
New Member
- Joined
- 29 Jan 2016
- Messages
- 3
Dear all,
My requirement: Need to commute from Norbury (South London) to Swindon for approx 6months at minimal cost (have just come out of uni with the associated debts)
My resources:
-Company has agreed to provide a 6 month 75% season ticket subsidy for a max season ticket value for £1500.(So for £600 season ticket value I get £450 subsidy-£150 paid out of pocket) So the maximum season ticket subsidy I can get is £1125. (Anything above £1500 I have to pay out of pocket)
-I am still eligible for a 16-25 railcard
-My company has allowed some flexibility in hours so can start between 9 and 10 and finish between 5 and 6 and work on the train remotely.
What I have looked at so far is:
-6month Swindon to London 1-6 travelcard: £5156.40 - £1125 subsidy=£4031
-6month Reading to London 1-6 travelcard (via Paddington FGW): So I'd travel up to Reading on the travelcard . I'd buy a truckload of super saver advance fares between Reading and Swindon combined with Young Persons Railcard- which can on some fares work out at £3.95 each way. I could remain on the same train between Paddington and Swindon.
£2893.90-£1125 subsidy + (120days x £3.95 x2) £948=£2716
This is an optimistic estimate that assumes I would be able to book the £3.95 in advance for everyday.
-6month Reading to Norbury (Via Clapham Junction SWT) So change at Clapham Junction and travel to Reading on SWT and then change onto a FGW HST to Swindon. My only worry with this is that it the service between Clapham Junction and Reading is less frequent and if the train is delayed I could miss my FGW connection to Swindon from Reading thereby losing my advance super saver ticket. This route involves the most connections but is half the cost.
£2223.40- £1125 subsidy + (120days x £3.95 x2) £948=£2046.4
I think these are all the combinations that I have available to me, unless you guys are aware of any more? I hope what I've posted makes sense.
Thanks for the help!
My requirement: Need to commute from Norbury (South London) to Swindon for approx 6months at minimal cost (have just come out of uni with the associated debts)
My resources:
-Company has agreed to provide a 6 month 75% season ticket subsidy for a max season ticket value for £1500.(So for £600 season ticket value I get £450 subsidy-£150 paid out of pocket) So the maximum season ticket subsidy I can get is £1125. (Anything above £1500 I have to pay out of pocket)
-I am still eligible for a 16-25 railcard
-My company has allowed some flexibility in hours so can start between 9 and 10 and finish between 5 and 6 and work on the train remotely.
What I have looked at so far is:
-6month Swindon to London 1-6 travelcard: £5156.40 - £1125 subsidy=£4031
-6month Reading to London 1-6 travelcard (via Paddington FGW): So I'd travel up to Reading on the travelcard . I'd buy a truckload of super saver advance fares between Reading and Swindon combined with Young Persons Railcard- which can on some fares work out at £3.95 each way. I could remain on the same train between Paddington and Swindon.
£2893.90-£1125 subsidy + (120days x £3.95 x2) £948=£2716
This is an optimistic estimate that assumes I would be able to book the £3.95 in advance for everyday.
-6month Reading to Norbury (Via Clapham Junction SWT) So change at Clapham Junction and travel to Reading on SWT and then change onto a FGW HST to Swindon. My only worry with this is that it the service between Clapham Junction and Reading is less frequent and if the train is delayed I could miss my FGW connection to Swindon from Reading thereby losing my advance super saver ticket. This route involves the most connections but is half the cost.
£2223.40- £1125 subsidy + (120days x £3.95 x2) £948=£2046.4
I think these are all the combinations that I have available to me, unless you guys are aware of any more? I hope what I've posted makes sense.
Thanks for the help!