• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non-Police to Train Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveLamp

Member
Joined
22 Nov 2019
Messages
215
Location
North Uk
It would appear that police and emergency services are looked upon favourably by TOC's judging by this forum. Why is that? There are many other professions that show similar skills and maybe better (working alone etc).

It seems that emergency services jobs are seen almost as a given, what other roles have people done before train driving that have shown great crossover skills and really aided their application and training for the job?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
I wonder if some TOC’s hr teams, being busy, almost automatically select emergency service workers during the initial sift as a matter of course therefore leaving others to get rejected without even being properly considered?. Just a thought but it defo seems that for some reason police and fire jobs are considered to line up well to train driving, yet in reality, apart from rules and safety, seem very different.
 
Last edited:

Tysoe

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2019
Messages
92
I suppose it is to do with the number of skills that transfer between roles.

Working under pressure, initiative, problem solving, dealing with public In difficult scenarios (and in general) advanced casualty care, learning new skills, working to policies and procedures strictly to name a few.

How many of these can you tick to such a high level?

I'm a firefighter and have been turned away on a number of occasions for the record.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
Certainly in my role I can tick off all of those except the advanced casualty care, which I’m struggling to see the use of as a Train Driver anyway. Yes, in the likelihood of an incident it could be useful, but how many incidents happen where a train driver has to step in to help a casualty instead of letting the emergency services do it? Many other jobs outside of the Emergency Services work to strict rules and regulations, are safety critical and have a problem solving nature.
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,403
Location
Essex
On my course of 14 trainees there was one firefighter and 13 non-emergency services people so I wouldn't worry about it too much
 
Joined
22 Jun 2020
Messages
154
Location
Portsmouth
True. Many of the skillsets of Emergency Services and Ex Armed Forces applicants are definitely transferable, in fact, in the on-line application for my TOC one of the first questions is "Have you been or are you due to be released from the Armed Forces" . I think it definitely helps you get through the paper sift, but, when it comes down to it EVERYONE needs to pass the psychometric tests on the day whatever they're background. There was 32 on my assessment day and 9 got through to Interview. Only 1 was not already in the industry or ex armed forces/emergency services
 

scotraildriver

Established Member
Joined
15 Jun 2009
Messages
1,846
There are no ex police or firefighters in my depot. There are however ex posties, supermarket managers, RAF, electricians, teachers, pilot, bus drivers, lorry drivers and many more.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
It’s just whether or not you have a lesser chance of getting sifted if you not emergency services or armed forces that’s the problem. Obviously after that it’s (mainly) your own merit..
 

LowLevel

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2013
Messages
8,921
It’s just whether or not you have a lesser chance of getting sifted if you not emergency services or armed forces that’s the problem. Obviously after that it’s (mainly) your own merit..
Their experience gained through their previous work *is* their own merit.

As a guard I work more closely with drivers than any other grade on the passenger railway and the ex forces and emergency services types are generally pretty good. You can't beat the calm approach that they usually bring when it's all going wrong. It's not a universal truth but it certainly helps.

I say that as an ex civil servant who has been a railwayman for over 10 years - I've worked with drivers ranging from the old school 16 year old traction trainee from the 70s to ex supermarket workers who passed the tests and everything in between.
 

tallpaul82

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
43
I’m an ex-Police officer and currently going through training. As has been said everyone has to get through the psychometrics and when I did mine there were four of us. Three were Police and one military. Only me and the military chap were successful so it’s not a guarantee being ex-Police. I think where I had an advantage was the interview and that the questions were just like a day at work - making decisions, working under pressure etc etc.
 

NorthernTech

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2021
Messages
744
Location
Uk
Their experience gained through their previous work *is* their own merit.

As a guard I work more closely with drivers than any other grade on the passenger railway and the ex forces and emergency services types are generally pretty good. You can't beat the calm approach that they usually bring when it's all going wrong. It's not a universal truth but it certainly helps.

I say that as an ex civil servant who has been a railwayman for over 10 years - I've worked with drivers ranging from the old school 16 year old traction trainee from the 70s to ex supermarket workers who passed the tests and everything in between.
Sorry, I didn’t mean it that way. I meant that progressing through the rest of the recruitment may still be helped and not just their own merits. I think all emergency service staff and armed forces are obviously very capable and would have great work examples for the mmi etc but it seems that the TOC’s can possible see those as perfect employees to sift though and perhaps overlook other suitable job roles.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Not a career as such but I have a PPL and drew from this to answer the questions around following procedures, dealing with an emergency situation (a radio failure was the example I used IIRC).

Think outside the box and don’t be afraid to use hobbies, activities away from work etc.
 

whoosh

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,894
Bear in mind that there is some form of camaraderie within the police, fire service, ambulance service, and armed forces. If someone gets a good job doing something else as a career (driving trains on the railway), then they tell their mates about how they are getting on and perhaps they should apply as well.

It's knowing vacancies are coming up and being encouraged to apply, which leads to a good proportion of those people joining the railway as well - in it to win it - rather than them being somehow put to the top of the list.
Having examples to draw upon in interviews and assessments helps as well.

There are plenty of non-police - bank managers, supermarket managers and shopfloor workers, postal workers, insurance brokers, electricians, gas engineers, McDonald's workers, bus drivers - there's allsorts.
 

Astro_Orbiter

Member
Joined
8 Nov 2019
Messages
292
Location
UK
I worked in a coffee shop before I came on the railway, everyone on my original course 10 years ago was not from a police or army background, car sales people, truck drivers etc, ordinary jobs
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
There's a lot of transferable skills between the emergency services and railway as alluded to above. The work balance (rosters etc.) as well and general "culture" can be seen as more attractive to those in the emergency services, but that is different as to whether they're successful. I think @whoosh has articulated this well. This forum is also not always completely representative of the wider workforce!

But I've seen courses with people from all walks of life on many courses and throughout various companies. Depends what sort of level of job you're pitching for too.

Nobody is a perfect applicant; if your application is good, meets or exceeds the criteria, you pass tests and have a interview better than other people you will succeed. It's why the application process normally includes different phases to test different skills.
 

michael74

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
585
6 on my course, 2 guards from a different TOC, internal transfer non guard, myself a Nurse, a postie and a car salesperson. Plenty of staff in the mess who came from non railway and non safety backgrounds.
 
Last edited:

Heaps92

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2018
Messages
129
It would appear that police and emergency services are looked upon favourably by TOC's judging by this forum. Why is that? There are many other professions that show similar skills and maybe better (working alone etc).

It seems that emergency services jobs are seen almost as a given, what other roles have people done before train driving that have shown great crossover skills and really aided their application and training for the job?
I was a prison officer before becoming a train driver
 

BWCB

New Member
Joined
27 Nov 2020
Messages
3
I’m a lawyer, but soon to be an ex-lawyer when I start driver training next month :D

When I did psychometrics, there was five of us. A current guard, and an airline pilot both failed the paper tests, but me, a police officer and person who worked in HR got through.

I did fail one computer test that time but did eventually get a second chance, and now I’m about to start training!
 

si_145653

Member
Joined
31 Oct 2021
Messages
91
Location
Plymouth
From my guards course we had myself ex leisure centre manager, a military electrician, cabin crew and someone who use to work on gate line

At my depot most I net seemed to have joined from “outside”
 

Zomboida

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2022
Messages
12
Location
Newcastle
Seeing this helps the confidence.
Iv always thought there would be a bias of sorts towards those with a police/bus driver applications or something
But i get as long as you have relevant experience and sell it well then you have a chance no matter the work history?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top