• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non-acceptance of PlusBus tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
I wouldn’t touch PlusBus with a bargepole. Not worth the hassle to save a quid or two imo.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
Passengers are just as likely, if not more likely, to be mistaken or wilfully cheating on the validity of tickets, whilst being insistent to the driver that the ticket is valid (be it PlusBus or any other ticket) Sometimes the passenger will be right and the driver wrong. There being no absolute right to conveyance, the only alternative is to pay (or not ride) and take the matter up with the bus company management. Fortunately these incidents do not happen very often. All employees make mistakes.


Generally printed farecharts are no longer produced - they are contained within electronic ticket machine displays only and validity areas of these tickets not shown because the equipment is not configured for that function on PlusBus tickets due to system incompatibility at present.
I notice some companies make copies of their fare charts available on the internet, which show what tickets are valid where. The vast majority of bus drivers give passengers the benefit of the doubt, perhaps realising their training isn't up to scratch, or just wave the passenger on to avoid the conflict.
Do bus companies hold drivers responsible if any passengers are found on a bus without a valid ticket? Not that I've ever seen an inspector on a bus outside London
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,630
Location
Birmingham
Do bus companies hold drivers responsible if any passengers are found on a bus without a valid ticket? Not that I've ever seen an inspector on a bus outside London
Inspectors get on every few weeks where I am in Birmingham. Can’t be certain but I think there’s a button the driver is expected to push for fare evasion.
 
Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
I recall two instances when a driver refused to accept my Plusbus was valid (rather than claiming it wasn't, but relenting when I calmly explained why it was, which has happened some times). In both cases I walked on and took a seat.

In Chester the driver just drove on, in Glasgow the driver was less happy so I suggested he phoned his control. He did so and naturally they told him it was valid - the driver then tried to claim it was not his fault as no one had told him :D. The other passengers on the Glasgow bus, if anything, seemed mildly amused - even my obviously English accent did not cause them to side with the driver or confront me in any way.

If, in any future similar situation, the worst came to the worst I would pay and claim back afterwards, but (as with ticket checkers on the railway) much easier to stand one's ground in my view.
 

Buzby

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2023
Messages
1,697
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
As an aside - my last use of PlusBus was in Manchester. I boarded a Bee Network single decker heading for Oldham. Unlike the passengers boarding ahead of me there was nothing to ‘scan’ as it was printed on the standard orange stripe rail ticket, so I was called back so he could take a closer look.

There was no confrontation just clarification, and he commented this might happen often as it can’t be read by the Ticketer machine. As most firms are switching to scanning, the sooner PlusBus realise this as does something about it, the better.
 

class17

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2011
Messages
144
Why all the aggravation aimed at the bus driver? They are only trying to do their job and no one is perfect. Think about what they have to put up with whilst doing their job, people trying not to pay or paying the incorrect fare, misbehaving teenaged youths, drunks, abusive passengers and don't forget, some get assaulted.

Afterall, they are not paid a lot, have to work early and late shifts. I personally am thankful they do the job and if I get any rejection to my plusbus ticket (or other rare valid tickets). I politely explain why it is valid and I can offer to show them website, which usually gets me on the bus along with a comment "Well, I have never seen one of those before".

But when that has failed, I pay up and seek for a refund from the bus company, life it too short to he held up on a bus.

Just my view of course and I accept others may not agree.

I have noticed how it has contracted in recent years, my local railway station not being a valid start/destination station any more, although valid in the area. The £2 bus fare reduced my take up of plus bus.
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,388
Location
Calder Valley
There was no confrontation just clarification, and he commented this might happen often as it can’t be read by the Ticketer machine. As most firms are switching to scanning, the sooner PlusBus realise this as does something about it, the better.
There’s an ongoing trial for E-Tickets which I am aware of at least 3 (?) retailers trialing. Albeit only at a select number of locations at the moment.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top