• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No ticket- Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

John73687

New Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
4
Hi all,

Recently I traveled on a Great Northern service into London without a ticket. My destination was a station also used by London Underground. When existing the station I was stopped by a London Underground ticket inspector who asked for my ticket. He took my details and said I would receive a letter from London Underground.

Now I received the letter which states that I failed to produce a valid ticket for my journey on London Underground. Of course the letter was sent by TfL. Nothing is mentioned about any law, just that it may result in prosecution. No I am asked to respond and state whether I deny or accept the offence.

What do you think I should do? The service that I took has nothing to do with London Underground and I don't think LUL inspectors are authorised to check passengers on other services.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John73687

New Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
4
Yes, I could have bought it. It was the classic occasion where I had to catch the train the last sec.
 

londonboi

On Moderation
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
460
Yes, I could have bought it. It was the classic occasion where I had to catch the train the last sec.

Sadly that is not an excuse if ticket issuing facilities exist at the point of origion it is the passengers responsibility to ensure they have a valid ticket BEFORE boarding the train.

Others shall be along shortly with advice however what you should do in your reply is be honest and tell the truth trying to work around the truth will dig you a deeper hole so to speak and can lead to more complications
 

John73687

New Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
4
Yes, I understand. The point is that the situation seems a bit complicated as I haven't used the London Underground. Should I state that in my response and wait for them to advice with regards to the next steps?
 

londonboi

On Moderation
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
460
Yes, I understand. The point is that the situation seems a bit complicated as I haven't used the London Underground. Should I state that in my response and wait for them to advice with regards to the next steps?

I may be wrong however the fact you where stopped by a tfl Inspector but travelled on a different train operator is irrelevant. There are cases before where passengers travelled on TOC A but alighted at a station managed by Toc B. When asked the same question the answers where that the companies work together. If the station is run by TFL which it sounds like it is giving your origional post then unless I am mistaking there inspectors have the right to check tickets and act on any instances of ticketless travel. I may be wrong others with better experience may be along shortly to correct me on that so don’t take my word as being correct
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,319
Location
Reading
Were you not asked where you began your journey?
What was the manner in which you were 'caught'?
There may also be nuances that depend on the actual stations concerned.
 

John73687

New Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
4
I was asked where I started my travel, whether I had money to pay, and my details.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
GTR’s penalty fare scheme details were provided in response to an FOI request in 2015, and at that time it was stated that TFL and GN would not issue PFs to each other’s passengers. Each station with more than one TOC is defined separately and Finsbury Park for example refers to note G,
G - London Underground or London Overground operate a penalty fares scheme at these stations, but we will not issue penalty fares to their passengers and vice-versa at this station.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/304994/response/748734/attach/7/GTR Penalty Fares Scheme Document Revised 180515 V1 2.pdf
My only caveat would be that 3 years have passed.

As a general point, all schemes seem to have a similar list of stations, and there are 7 scenarios A-G to describe how other TOCs passengers can be treated...
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,815
The OP was not issued a Penalty Fare, so discussion of them appears to be completely irrelevant.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,307
The OP was not issued a Penalty Fare, so discussion of them appears to be completely irrelevant.
Yes, I was trying to find evidence of whether or not GN and TFL had a reciprocal arrangement for revenue matters, presuming that it would answer whether TfL had any remit at all.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
Yes, I was trying to find evidence of whether or not GN and TFL had a reciprocal arrangement for revenue matters, presuming that it would answer whether TfL had any remit at all.
Any authorised person can report for prosecution under the railway bylaws . It is irrelevant as to who they work for or if there is an agreement in place.
 

londonboi

On Moderation
Joined
28 Dec 2010
Messages
460
One question that is bound to surface is this

When you left the train which of the following did you do
1. Make your way to a staff member or ticket office window to pay for your ticket
2. Make you way for exit to leave the station this meaning you did not attempt to pay for your travel
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,722
Location
Scotland
One question that is bound to surface is this

When you left the train which of the following did you do
1. Make your way to a staff member or ticket office window to pay for your ticket
2. Make you way for exit to leave the station this meaning you did not attempt to pay for your travel
As far as a Byelaw prosecution is concerned that makes no difference. As far as a RoRA prosecution is concerned, that makes little difference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top