• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No Response, yet confirmed receipt of Email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlz

New Member
Joined
12 Oct 2025
Messages
1
Location
London
Hi All,

I was stopped at Charing Cross 13/8/2025 for short faring, interviewed by prosecutions officer, and told they would be in touch. 2 weeks later the letter comes notifying me that they are aware of the incident. I respond by letter on the 1/9/2025, with about 15/16 days to spare untill the deadline for permitted response. I sent the letter first class tracked and the tracking showed it delivered on 4/9/2025. I did not receive a response, via email or letter, for the next 2 weeks. I then write via email 1 day before the response deadline in case my letter was somehow missed, very politely, asking them whether they could confirm receipt of my letter. I re-iterate the regret for my actions and willingness to cooperate and work towards an out of court settlement. They responded to this email with an email telling me they ‘have noted my request to resolve the matter out of court’ and that ‘the case is being reviewed by the Prosecutions team and they will contact me once they conclude on the matter’. I have since, not received any form of communication. I have attached the email correspondence. No longer have a copy of the letter but it was very similar to the email. This is my first ‘interaction’ with SE in this regard.

I have 2 questions: 1) Should I continue to wait or email them again? I am worried about the length of time. I have a friend who was caught doing the same thing, with a history on Trainline of shortfaring, at the same station 2 days later than me. His process has been concluded, and they responded to him within a week of him sending his email with an out of court settlement of £147. He has also been caught and fined by SE without a ticket twice. 2) what does this mean in terms of likelihood of prosecution? Or is the length of time irrelevant. I would like to add my surname begins with ‘z’ and his with ‘c’ - perhaps SE deal with these matter on alphabetical basis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7601.jpeg
    IMG_7601.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7602.jpeg
    IMG_7602.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7600.jpeg
    IMG_7600.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 34
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,326
Hi All,

I was stopped at Charing Cross 13/8/2025 for short faring, interviewed by prosecutions officer, and told they would be in touch. 2 weeks later the letter comes notifying me that they are aware of the incident. I respond by letter on the 1/9/2025, with about 15/16 days to spare untill the deadline for permitted response. I sent the letter first class tracked and the tracking showed it delivered on 4/9/2025. I did not receive a response, via email or letter, for the next 2 weeks. I then write via email 1 day before the response deadline in case my letter was somehow missed, very politely, asking them whether they could confirm receipt of my letter. I re-iterate the regret for my actions and willingness to cooperate and work towards an out of court settlement. They responded to this email with an email telling me they ‘have noted my request to resolve the matter out of court’ and that ‘the case is being reviewed by the Prosecutions team and they will contact me once they conclude on the matter’. I have since, not received any form of communication. I have attached the email correspondence. No longer have a copy of the letter but it was very similar to the email. This is my first ‘interaction’ with SE in this regard.

I have 2 questions: 1) Should I continue to wait or email them again? I am worried about the length of time. I have a friend who was caught doing the same thing, with a history on Trainline of shortfaring, at the same station 2 days later than me. His process has been concluded, and they responded to him within a week of him sending his email with an out of court settlement of £147. He has also been caught and fined by SE without a ticket twice. 2) what does this mean in terms of likelihood of prosecution? Or is the length of time irrelevant. I would like to add my surname begins with ‘z’ and his with ‘c’ - perhaps SE deal with these matter on alphabetical basis?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Welcome to the forum.

I know it's easy for me to say, and hard for you to do, but try not to worry. You have confirmation that both your letter and email were received, so it's down to the railway to make the next move. If they don't, then eventually they will run out of time to do anything and you will have been very lucky and have got away with it. And our past experience is that if Southeastern claim that you never made contact, then if you prove that you did they will then agree to settle out of court.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top