• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No reservations printed (Chiltern Railways - possibly others too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2009
Messages
1,164
Location
-
Booked tickets online (Super Off Peak Return flexible)

Collected tickets at London Marylebone

Tickets printed.

Collection receipt printed

But no reservations printed.

This is so frustrating!

Although reservations are obviously not required for flexible tickets they do assist with smooth travel where any issues occur or just to have a reminder of travel plans.

Is there a simple way of knowing - in advance - which TVM software provides these and which does not and how to identify it.

And to all TOCs - please think about whether it makes sense to actively suppress the printing of reservations.

and if you think that it does make sense at least tell me in advance that this machine does not print reservations and let me go to a ticket office to collect them.

(I was frustrated last time that no collection receipt printed but I did get one of those!)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bakerstreet

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2009
Messages
1,164
Location
-
Hmm good question.

I’ve just checked my email and it has a detailed itinerary in each direction.
On the journey I’m on there are never actual seat number reservations but specifying a specific service when booking has always given me the tickets and separate reservation coupons

I will try and get into my account and see what I did during the booking.

On your toc do you print coupons even for flexible tickets when reservations have been made?
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,483
Location
Yorkshire
Is this the "Coach * Seat ***" coupons?

I think not all retailers will issue them and/or not all TVMs will issue them.

I agree they can be very useful as evidence of validity in case of a dispute, though failing that there is always your full travel itinerary which you could print or show on an electronic device.
 

bakerstreet

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2009
Messages
1,164
Location
-
Is this the "Coach * Seat ***" coupons?

I think not all retailers will issue them and/or not all TVMs will issue them.

I agree they can be very useful as evidence of validity in case of a dispute, though failing that there is always your full travel itinerary which you could print or show on an electronic device.

These are the ones Yorkie. Yes good idea, next time I will print the itinerary but only noticed the issue when I printed tickets at departure station!
 

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2014
Messages
6,289
Location
Wallsend or somewhere on the ECML
Hmm good question.

I’ve just checked my email and it has a detailed itinerary in each direction.
On the journey I’m on there are never actual seat number reservations but specifying a specific service when booking has always given me the tickets and separate reservation coupons

I will try and get into my account and see what I did during the booking.

On your toc do you print coupons even for flexible tickets when reservations have been made?
When reservations have been made yes but with flexible tickets counted places are pointless .
 

bakerstreet

Member
Joined
29 Nov 2009
Messages
1,164
Location
-
When reservations have been made yes but with flexible tickets counted places are pointless .

In principle I would agree with that were it not for previous experiences

On occasion a counted place reservation coupon has saved me from a penalty fare and a couple of attempts to charge a three figure excess by on train and/or barrier staff who only wanted to see an orange piece of card to prove either route or time of travel was ok on my flexible ticket.

Not a criticism of said staff for asking for evidence but a criticism of the general railway for now withholding this option and who don’t always understand the reality of the passenger experience.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
In principle I would agree with that were it not for previous experiences

On occasion a counted place reservation coupon has saved me from a penalty fare and a couple of attempts to charge a three figure excess by on train and/or barrier staff who only wanted to see an orange piece of card to prove either route or time of travel was ok on my flexible ticket.

Not a criticism of said staff for asking for evidence but a criticism of the general railway for now withholding this option and who don’t always understand the reality of the passenger experience.

I’d say that absolutely is a failing of the staff rather than the railway.

A flexible Off Peak ticket says ‘valid at certain times see restrictions nre.co.uk/xx where xx is the specific restriction code applicable to that ticket.

It couldn’t be simpler or more straightforward to look up....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top