• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

no reservations for this Sunday on Avanti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love life

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2021
Messages
69
Location
Near London
Hi Guards or other TOC

I was wondering if anyone knew why there is no reservations for this Sunday on the Avanti Trains coming from Preston all day?

I know it could be that they are all sold out, but I find it very strange that it is sold out all day from early to late.

Also just wondering whether there are usually a few unreserved seats on the trains coming back from Preston on a Sunday? I am a first group employee, but unfortunate circumstances means I have to go up Saturday and come back Sunday but would prove difficult if I cannot get on a train as reservations are compulsory even though the RDG say it is not.

The views expressed here are my own and don’t necessarily represent the views of South Western Railway/First Group Subsidiaries
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
I've used Avanti today, yesterday and Tuesday, and on every occasion the reservations system hasn't been functioning. I think it's because there are cancellations so people will be on trains they are not booked on.

Sorry can't speak for Sundays, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same situation.
 

221129

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
6,515
Location
Sunny Scotland
I cannot get on a train as reservations are compulsory
No they aren't.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

know it could be that they are all sold out, but I find it very strange that it is sold out all day from early to late.
It's the last day of the English school holidays, plus the usual Sunday Wedgefest...
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,284
Hi Guards or other TOC

I was wondering if anyone knew why there is no reservations for this Sunday on the Avanti Trains coming from Preston all day. I know it could be that they are all sold out, but I find it very strange that it is sold out all day from early to late. Also just wondering whether there are usually a few unreserved seats on the trains coming back from Preston on a Sunday? I am a first group employee, but unfortunate circumstances means I have to go up Saturday and come back Sunday but would prove difficult if I cannot get on a train as reservations are compulsory even though the RDG say it is not.

The views expressed here are my own and don’t necessarily represent the views of South Western Railway/First Group Subsidiaries
There were definitely reservations available on the first one or two Preston to London trains this Sunday a few days ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're very busy, hence why they're fully booked.
 

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,986
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Sorry I may have misunderstood. I did have reservations but the on board system hasn't been operating. Perhaps they have decided it will reduce confusion if they stop giving reservations when booking, until things are a bit more back to normality.
 

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,284
There were definitely reservations available on the first one or two Preston to London trains this Sunday a few days ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're very busy, hence why they're fully booked.
Having said that, I do think it's strange every single train is fully booked.

Possibly a precaution in case the current severe weather disruption continues into the weekend?
 

Love life

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2021
Messages
69
Location
Near London
No they aren't.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


It's the last day of the English school holidays, plus the usual Sunday Wedgefest...
Cheers, but I even spoke too the Avanti West Coast TOC and they said they are compulsory but couldn't provide an answer about this Sunday unfortunately so it's strange they say it's compulsory
 

Love life

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2021
Messages
69
Location
Near London
Having said that, I do think it's strange every single train is fully booked.

Possibly a precaution in case the current severe weather disruption continues into the weekend?
That could be the exact reason, I mean I can only go back on the day and hope I can get a seat
 

Love life

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2021
Messages
69
Location
Near London
Sorry I may have misunderstood. I did have reservations but the on board system hasn't been operating. Perhaps they have decided it will reduce confusion if they stop giving reservations when booking, until things are a bit more back to normality.
Definitely a possibility
 

Trackman

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2013
Messages
4,310
Location
Lewisham
Having said that, I do think it's strange every single train is fully booked.

Possibly a precaution in case the current severe weather disruption continues into the weekend?
Just checked it out myself, it does seem odd as reservations are available for Saturday which is a 'free for all' for people affected by the weather (no ticket change) - saying that they are until Monday so it doesn't make much sense that no reservations are available on Sunday.
I've used Avanti today, yesterday and Tuesday, and on every occasion the reservations system hasn't been functioning. I think it's because there are cancellations so people will be on trains they are not booked on.

Sorry can't speak for Sundays, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same situation.
No, the system is down, Avanti have confirmed this.

That could be the exact reason, I mean I can only go back on the day and hope I can get a seat
I don't like doing that gamble, unless it's at the point of origin and arrive in plenty of time.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
Cheers, but I even spoke too the Avanti West Coast TOC and they said they are compulsory but couldn't provide an answer about this Sunday unfortunately so it's strange they say it's compulsory

No they don't. They are simply "recommended".
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
Reservations have been turned off on Avanti up until and including Sunday due to the severe weather. I suspect the reasoning behind it will be so that displaced passengers have as equal chance of getting a seat as those who would otherwise be travelling. People with tickets dated Wednesday 27/10/21 and Thursday 28/10/21 are allowed to travel up to and including Sunday 31/10/21.

There is however a DO NOT TRAVEL notice north of Preston until 13:00 today (Friday 29/10/21) due to the excessive rainfall in Cumbria and South Lanarkshire.
 

Love life

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2021
Messages
69
Location
Near London
Reservations have been turned off on Avanti up until and including Sunday due to the severe weather. I suspect the reasoning behind it will be so that displaced passengers have as equal chance of getting a seat as those who would otherwise be travelling. People with tickets dated Wednesday 27/10/21 and Thursday 28/10/21 are allowed to travel up to and including Sunday 31/10/21.

There is however a DO NOT TRAVEL notice north of Preston until 13:00 today (Friday 29/10/21) due to the excessive rainfall in Cumbria and South Lanarkshire.
Roger that, thank you
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,305
Location
South West London
Roger that, thank you

Just as an update, I'm travelling now from Wigan to Edinburgh. Reservations are turned on for those who already have them. If you've not already booked your tickets, I've just made a dummy booking and it's letting me reserve seats again so it might be worth trying again.
 

Love life

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2021
Messages
69
Location
Near London
Reservations have been turned off on Avanti up until and including Sunday due to the severe weather. I suspect the reasoning behind it will be so that displaced passengers have as equal chance of getting a seat as those who would otherwise be travelling. People with tickets dated Wednesday 27/10/21 and Thursday 28/10/21 are allowed to travel up to and including Sunday 31/10/21.

There is however a DO NOT TRAVEL notice north of Preston until 13:00 today (Friday 29/10/21) due to the excessive rainfall in Cumbria and South Lanarkshire.
Sorry, Only just seen this. Yeahhhh, I got stuck in that. Had to beg XC to let me on their trains lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top