• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No need to give cheek to the Ticket Guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
Spotted this today. I was taking the 09:36 train from Bellgrove to Springburn. Ticket inspector comes up and this young guy, must have been 20-ish (not a ned, suited up) just barks out of nowhere "You've f***ing checked my ticket ya balloon" (the ticket guy was rather stout). I thought that cheek was unbelievable. The ticket guy then said "Aye all right. No need for that" and came up to me for my ticket.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185

On Moderation
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
5,709
If that was my train, I would have thrown a fire extinguisher.

Allegedly. ;)
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,455
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I have seen similar occurences with racial overtones used by a "chav" on Salford Crescent station, but the rail member chose to totally ignore those overtones and carried out his job calmly and with the retention of his dignity.When passengers, including students from the University moved to help, the "chav" fled.
 

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Saw the same sort of behaviour at Luton Airport Parkway recently, when a passenger discovered he'd have to pay to use the bus to the airport. Despite it only being £4 for him and his wife, he launched into a tirade of abuse aimed at the driver and conductor. Disgusting, and they still let him travel!
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Chuck them off. Even if they get a later service the traincrew have the satisfaction of inconveniencing them & hopefully spoiling their day. No need whatsoever for the great British Chav'y public. Manners cost nowt.
 

Holly

Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
783
... The ticket guy then said "Aye all right. No need for that" and came up to me for my ticket.
A better response would have been.
"Yes. Thank you sir. And I would like to check your ticket again, please."
(Lout reluctantly hands over the ticket)
"Where and when did you buy this ticket? And how did you pay for it?"
(Lout backs down or BTP is called)
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
Always a bit frustrating to be asked for ticket again when its a bit of an effort to get it back out again. However, I'd simply show them and not say anything.
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
Always a bit frustrating to be asked for ticket again when its a bit of an effort to get it back out again. However, I'd simply show them and not say anything.

Then isnt it good that revenue protection is being effectivley enforced? Thats probably the real reason certain people take offence!! I am always happy to see regular ticket checks & it isnt such a chore to reach into your pocket is it?
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Then isnt it good that revenue protection is being effectivley enforced? Thats probably the real reason certain people take offence!! I am always happy to see regular ticket checks & it isnt such a chore to reach into your pocket is it?

I think we all agree it's a good thing yet it doesn't preclude it from being frustrating. It just so happens that the frustration is the lesser of two evils especially if, like me, you have to get your railcard out of your wallet too.

I tend to put my tickets and my railcard on the table so when the guard comes round the tickets are easy to grab although I did bump into the guard when leaving the toilet, no idea what he thought since I had a valid first advance for the journey
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
A better response would have been.
"Yes. Thank you sir. And I would like to check your ticket again, please."
(Lout reluctantly hands over the ticket)
"Where and when did you buy this ticket? And how did you pay for it?"
(Lout backs down or BTP is called)

You don't know Glasgow, the poor guy could have been assaulted
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
I think we all agree it's a good thing yet it doesn't preclude it from being frustrating. It just so happens that the frustration is the lesser of two evils especially if, like me, you have to get your railcard out of your wallet too.

Still dont get it. It's so easy. These same people spend the whole journey getting their mobiles out & checking their facebook updates!! They should just sort themselves out & if they put the ticket at the bottom of the rucksack then they're just daft.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
I've seen that happen before. I'd like to see the prat try and remember the exact details of every ticket on a train.

I travel from Partick to Blairhill a lot, and often get checked twice because most people get on/off in the Central Glasgow area. I don't make a big deal of it. It's possible that that's been what's happened here (he's maybe been checked somewhere to the West of the City). I generally keep my ticket on me at all times, either in my hand, lying on the table, or sometimes in my back pocket. I don't see the point in wasting everyone's time keeping it hidden in the wallet and making a rather large scene when the guard comes into the carriage.

I vaguely remember coming home from York once one young lady (who was going from London-Edinburgh) went into a strop when the guard asked to see her ticket because she'd already shown it to someone. That someone had left the train at York. Still, she refused to show it again given that it was such an inconvenience to go into her handbag. However, she found it rather more convenient than paying the price that the guard quoted for the return ticket, and eventually realised that pulling a small ticket out of your purse isn't all that difficult.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Still dont get it. It's so easy. These same people spend the whole journey getting their mobiles out & checking their facebook updates!! They should just sort themselves out & if they put the ticket at the bottom of the rucksack then they're just daft.

It's still frustrating. What if your partner asked you to get something an hour after they asked you for the same thing beforehand? It's frustrating but less so than arguing with them.

Those putting it at the bottom of their rucksack get what's coming to them because it's certainly daft but it's fair to say that getting one's ticket checked twice in one journey (excluding any return trip) is relatively rare
 

dk1

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Oct 2009
Messages
19,874
Location
East Anglia
It's still frustrating. What if your partner asked you to get something an hour after they asked you for the same thing beforehand? It's frustrating but less so than arguing with them.

Those putting it at the bottom of their rucksack get what's coming to them because it's certainly daft but it's fair to say that getting one's ticket checked twice in one journey (excluding any return trip) is relatively rare

It's a train journey & it happens. Passengers can be so crotchety :roll:
 

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
I always find that the ticket inspectors generally change when the train gets to either High Street (Glasgow), Airdrie or Dalmuir stations.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
It's a train journey & it happens. Passengers can be so crotchety :roll:

On the same token it still remains frustrating or simply inconvenient. It may be the lesser of two evils but that doesn't make it less frustrating than showing your ticket once.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
I had someone once INSIST I had seen their ticket leaving London, if I couldn't remember them it was my fault.

I had to point out to them that the TM I took over from was about 8 inches taller than me, 20 years younger than me, and African.

The guy did have a ticket, and just had a bad memory and an attitude.

For the second time in a day....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rain-rage-woman-ticket-collector-woke-up.html
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Here, as someone who checks tickets - you'd be surprised how many people I forget I've checked and how many people go to produce their tickets every time I come down the train. (can they not differentiate between 'Any Broomhill tickets, please?' and 'Any Aviemore tickets, please?'
 

passmore

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
341
Location
Milton Keynes
Spotted this today. I was taking the 09:36 train from Bellgrove to Springburn. Ticket inspector comes up and this young guy, must have been 20-ish (not a ned, suited up) just barks out of nowhere "You've f***ing checked my ticket ya balloon" (the ticket guy was rather stout). I thought that cheek was unbelievable. The ticket guy then said "Aye all right. No need for that" and came up to me for my ticket.

Best reaction possible from the inspector.

Fighting fire with fire in this day and age only leads to bawls of 'my human rights have been breached' and invariably the punishment will be biased against the inspector.
 

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
9,669
its not difficult leave ticket easily accesable...... then it inconveniences no one, i am always pleased a thorough ticket check is being done. as some conductors rely on people asking him for a ticket and some people get away with just sitting there looking like theyve been there a while....
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,455
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
Here, as someone who checks tickets - you'd be surprised how many people I forget I've checked and how many people go to produce their tickets every time I come down the train. (can they not differentiate between 'Any Broomhill tickets, please?' and 'Any Aviemore tickets, please?'

The difference that some people fail to recognise is that there is the system which you describe above, from station to station sectors on a rolling basis, which is very easily to understand and then there is the "all tickets" master check that occurs at split RP sections on a long distance train. Every time that the second option is to occur when I have travelled on long distance trains, there has been a clearly announced statement that this will be happening.
 

jamesr

Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
147
I can't remember where, but at least one of the countries that I've travelled by rail has a system where the guard takes your ticket, stamps it with his own distinctive punch/stamp, and then puts it into a pouch in front of you (a bit like a reservation ticket slot), so that any personnel who take over from him later can see which tickets have been checked (presumably with his distinctive stamp). Seems a sensible idea...
 

Invincibles

Member
Joined
12 Jul 2009
Messages
511
Location
Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
I can't remember where, but at least one of the countries that I've travelled by rail has a system where the guard takes your ticket, stamps it with his own distinctive punch/stamp, and then puts it into a pouch in front of you (a bit like a reservation ticket slot), so that any personnel who take over from him later can see which tickets have been checked (presumably with his distinctive stamp). Seems a sensible idea...

They did a similar thing in America that involved putting something in a slot on the overhead rack to show which tickets had been checked. seemed a very simple system but not possible with standees
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top