• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No lighting at Three Bridges yesterday (19/10/2016).

Status
Not open for further replies.

otomous

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2011
Messages
444
I can see arguments on both sides, but, if I am at home and the power fails, the first thing I do is find a battery light, then worry about reporting it, and I also don't have the responsibility of public safety. If, while I am trying to report a power failure, someone falls onto the track in the darkness, or falls down the stairs, what then? I suppose the safe option is to close the station - very annoying at that time of night, but safe. Each case will be different, but it may be possible to 'meet' each train and guide people accordingly.

All this, of course, doesn't address the question of why no emergency lights are built in to the fixed systems at such stations. All London Underground stations (below and above ground) have these.

Fundamental lack of interest and investment in the national rail network for decades is probably the answer to the latter.

To the former, you have to understand the culture of procedure that exists on the modern railway. Front line staff generally don't have authority to do much off their own back, ludicrous as it seems to us and the outside world. If I'm sorting even the simplest of faults on my train, I'm expected to report it to the world and his wife before I do anything, even though sometimes I could sort it and be away much quicker if I just could use my initiative and knowledge/experience. First question these days is always did you tick the boxes, and if not, why not? Even if you did what seems like the obvious thing from an outside point of view instead. Sometimes due to a general lack of staff and the time it takes to remedy a power failure, it is safest to close up until it's sorted - I've seen some major ones at Sutton and Clapham Junction where normal use was nigh on impossible.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,414
Location
Yorks
A couple of occasions my train has got back late after the my local station lights have gone off. Those white lines along the platform edge worked well enough (it is, after all why they are there in the first place).

I'd have been pretty annoyed had the train been cancelled for that reason. Powercuts sometimes happen.
 

Class377/5

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,594
Many offices have battery powered emergency lighting which will put some of the lights on at reduced intensity for a couple of hours. Generators are not required.

Reduced intensity on a station will still close it as would no lights. Lighting is set at the level to keep a station open so your idea wouldn't help keep the station open. And again there is a cost to this. Multiply this by amount of stations etc and its a huge cost.
 

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Joined
18 Mar 2014
Messages
5,491
Reduced intensity on a station will still close it as would no lights. Lighting is set at the level to keep a station open so your idea wouldn't help keep the station open. And again there is a cost to this. Multiply this by amount of stations etc and its a huge cost.

It would at least allow the safe evacuation of a station
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,488
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Reduced intensity on a station will still close it as would no lights. Lighting is set at the level to keep a station open so your idea wouldn't help keep the station open. And again there is a cost to this. Multiply this by amount of stations etc and its a huge cost.

Yes, but, as I have previously stated, all LU stations have emergency lighting for emergencies - not to run the full train service. The same principle applies at Three Bridges or anywhere else - even if the station has to close according to the operating rules of the railway when the main supply fails, people still need light to evacuate the station safely. To assume otherwise is also to assume that every power failure will occur when no-one is at the station (including staff). I don't think anyone is claiming to be able to run a station on emergency lighting only (I'm certainly not) - simply to evacuate it safely.
 
Last edited:

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Joined
13 Feb 2011
Messages
3,275
Reduced intensity on a station will still close it as would no lights. Lighting is set at the level to keep a station open so your idea wouldn't help keep the station open. And again there is a cost to this. Multiply this by amount of stations etc and its a huge cost.

As someone else says it is still required to assist evacuation and as per the beginning of the thread the station was open in pitch dark so reduced intensity lighting would've been better than none at all. Obviously the station should still be closed during any failure of the main lighting system and hopefully that will happen in future (it obviously didn't happen here)

The cost is a factor however it can be mitigated by installing during planned station refurbishment works. Admittedly this means some stations would not get emergency lighting for 10 years or so however at least a start could be made.

These lights are a requirement in all public buildings such as shopping centres, airports, and office blocks so why should stations be any different.
 
Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member
Joined
27 Oct 2015
Messages
1,224
Does the signalling centre share the incoming feed with the station?

A separate feed, but still part of the larger local power grid and yes there are back ups for the signalling (control) first then the domestic supply comes second. I've worked trains sitting in the dark, it's kind of relaxing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top