Aictos
Established Member
- Joined
- 28 Apr 2009
- Messages
- 10,403
Ehh, no. I said "sources".![]()
I've already quoted what is general knowledge to the wider railway community, I'm sorry if that just ain't good enough for you!
Ehh, no. I said "sources".![]()
I've already quoted what is general knowledge to the wider railway community, I'm sorry if that just ain't good enough for you!
I'm sure you're wrong there, the 91s as far as I was aware were designed for passenger services during the day and freight/sleeper services during the night but to also have the capability for tilt which was removed during the last GNER refurbishment of the 91s.
Assuming the 225 stays firmly put on the ECML what happened to the idea of re-marshalling the sets to 10 mk4's and forming a 'new' set of 10 re-furbished Mk3's? Seems a very good way of boosting capacity in the time before the new EMU comes into use but maybe the idea has been abandoned along with any HST life extension.
I havent had my usual quota of tea this morning so am a little slow, but if you were to maintain the current number of carriage rakes in use with 91s then surely youd need three rakes of suitably modified mark 3s? If you insert one mark 4 into each of 27 nine carriage sets to make ten carriage rakes, then that clearly requires 27 carriages, i.e. disbanding the remaining three mark 4 sets (9 carriages in each=27 carriages in total) of the total of 30 trains, even assuming the restaurant carriages could be converted to standard TSOs. Given that youd require a total of 30 extra mark 3s for this, its no wonder the idea has gone quiet.
Probably cheaper to pick up the phone to Alstom and ask them to build a 10 car rake based on the 180, and at the same time to build 14 trailers for the 180s.