I've not run into any issues on public transport myself, but then it's a long time (1980s!) since I lived in the North East so I don't know firsthand what the situation is like for trans people up there.
I tend to think I'm lucky though - as a rule I don't run into much in the way of problems, and certainly nothing like the abuse I've heard of some running into at home or in public places.
Maybe it's that I'm sufficiently far past transition that most people don't read me as trans, or the Bournemouth area is particularly LGBT friendly (which it is, to be far). I don't know.
I do however know that I feel the need to be far more aware of my surroundings than I was before I transitioned. When I'm travelling (especially at night) I'll do my best to keep well away from some groups of people (e.g. anyone who appears to be drunk or rowdy) for my own peace of mind and/or safety. It's a sobering feeling, but I try not to let it show.
Hence given the choice, I'd far rather travel in an environment where I know members of staff are quickly accessible in the (hopefully unlikely) event of something happening.
Slightly OT for this forum, but every 20th November we commemorate the Transgendered Day of Remembrance where we remember those we have lost to transphobic violence in the past year. Although the UK is a relatively tolerant place (at least compared to the way it was when I was growing up), much of the world is far, far from safe if you happen to be trans.
Anna (@annajayne)
http://www.flickr.com/people/jalapenokitten
Good to hear you haven't come into any trouble with less then accepting people.
I believe most areas are quite friendly and same as you most people will avoid rowdy/drunk people.
Also thank you for the link, i never knew there was such a thing.
Chris