• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nice places you've visited recently in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sk688

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2016
Messages
847
Location
Dublin
Maida Vale / Little Venice is pretty nice

Richmond Park is also pretty good , with the deer being another good point
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Yesterday I was walking a part of the North Downs Way which I hadn't done before, about mid-afternoon. I saw not one single other soul on the path for well over an hour - this on a warm Bank Holiday afternoon. Absolutely shocking, considering how utterly spectacular it was.

Earlier this summer I've done various coastal paths and been to some interesting stations around Devon and Cornwall. We often joke on this forum about Coombe Junction Halt - go in the summer when it is all leafy and green and deserted, the Sprinter trundles off into the distance, and you're by yourself beside Lamellion Overbridge. Nice enough!

Don't worry, I do interesting things accompanied by other actual humans, too...
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
About a five minute walk from Mossley Hill Station you can be on Holts Field or outside Sudley Hall which is an art gallery. You are no more than minutes away from urban Liverpool but 50% of the time you have glorious solitude.

Also the Woolston Eyes. Not half an hours walk from Warrington Central or Bank Quay but you are away from everyone in between the Mersey and the Ship Canal.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Yesterday I was walking a part of the North Downs Way which I hadn't done before, about mid-afternoon. I saw not one single other soul on the path for well over an hour - this on a warm Bank Holiday afternoon. Absolutely shocking, considering how utterly spectacular it was.

Which section did you walk out of interest? I've done pretty much the entirety of the eastern portion of it (save the loop via Shepherdswell) and I honestly didn't think a lot of it was that scenic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but compared to the downs further out west I don't find Kent's all that good. I do agree with your other point though, I love the long drags when you see about five people in as many hours!

To go back to what the OP asked, I visited Pershore recently and that was a very nice little place.
 

iantherev

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2011
Messages
803
Location
Brecon Beacons
I recently visited the Usk Valley between Abergavenny and Brecon in connection with my forthcoming move and was reminded how beautiful it was
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
I don't do Twitter (I may have said that already), but Cornwall is rather special

I must get round to visiting Cornwall one day. Not sure about Twitter though. You seem to be saying it's not worth visiting? Whereabouts is it? I can't seem to find it on Google Maps.
 

Sox

Member
Joined
22 Oct 2010
Messages
266
I was in Newcastle on Sunday (ok, a BH weekend) by the Quayside, craft markets, plenty of people about, river goings on, nice chilled atmosphere.
 

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Joined
12 Apr 2012
Messages
9,213
Location
SE London
It's the pass called Trough of Bowland which starts from Dunsop Bridge. To the south-west of it is more rolling hills and wee villages, to the north-east is more mountainous and stretches to the Yorkshire Dales. Almost void of any tourism, mainly because tourists skip round it on the way to the Lakes or the Dales.

I used to cycle around that area when I lived in Lancaster. Can vouch for that it is very beautiful - and a great combination of feeling very remote while actually being quite close to Lancaster. In fact I'd say much of the landscape is incredible from as soon as you cross the M6 onwards. Jubilee Tower and the area around Abbeystead are incredible. Beyond that, the main road from Lancaster through Dunsop Bridge tends to go into a valley, so while the scenery is still amazing, the views get a bit more restricted.

Sadly, there's virtually no public transport in the area, and the number of cars there, while not huge, is enough to spoil the area immediately around the roads somewhat. In my view, it's best explored using a bicycle, but you need good brakes! (And to either be very fit or be prepared to get off and push up the hills).
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I must get round to visiting Cornwall one day. Not sure about Twitter though. You seem to be saying it's not worth visiting? Whereabouts is it? I can't seem to find it on Google Maps.

I don't know, Peter goes there quite often though, better ask him.
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,784
Location
Newport Pagnell
It's the pass called Trough of Bowland which starts from Dunsop Bridge. To the south-west of it is more rolling hills and wee villages, to the north-east is more mountainous and stretches to the Yorkshire Dales. Almost void of any tourism, mainly because tourists skip round it on the way to the Lakes or the Dales.

Thanks. It's 35+ years since I've been in that area, don't remember the road being so wide. My uncle used to drive us that way from Bradford for a day out in Morecambe - we used to arrive just in time to set off back home!

Has a look of one of the roads from Wensleydale to Swaledale.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Has a look of one of the roads from Wensleydale to Swaledale.

Is that the route that the bus took on the Slow TV program that was on BBC iplayer? I watched the whole journey and it was absolutely beautiful.
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,784
Location
Newport Pagnell
Is that the route that the bus took on the Slow TV program that was on BBC iplayer? I watched the whole journey and it was absolutely beautiful.

Yes - I think that was the 830 that goes from Richmond (maybe starts in Middlesbrough) along almost the length of Swaledale then through Buttertubs pass to Hawes. But all the roads between Wensleydale and Swaledale offer some fantastic views.
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Hereford is one of my favourite places in the UK, I'm hoping to make a trip down there at some point before the end of the year.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Dentdale. My in-laws live there and each summer we spend a few days there. The dale is beautiful and so peaceful. Dent village is lovely with its cobbled streets and white wash buildings, not to mention the pubs and cafe.

There are some lovely walks through the dale and the circular walk from Dent to Whernside via Flinter Gill is fantastic. And on the way back dip your feet in Whernside Tarn if its a hot day.

Oh and there is also Dent Brewery with its wonderful beers and quirky names. And of course the station (highest in England no less) which is largely intact since the days of steam although sadly the signal box was closed and demolished in the early 1980's.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
Which section did you walk out of interest? I've done pretty much the entirety of the eastern portion of it (save the loop via Shepherdswell) and I honestly didn't think a lot of it was that scenic. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but compared to the downs further out west I don't find Kent's all that good. I do agree with your other point though, I love the long drags when you see about five people in as many hours!

To go back to what the OP asked, I visited Pershore recently and that was a very nice little place.

The lower lying section around Buckland in Surrey. Previously I have mostly followed the paths on the top of the hills on that stretch.
 

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Joined
26 Dec 2012
Messages
2,749
Location
Cheshunt
I'm just back from Southwold in Suffolk.

I was actually blown away by how nice it was, at last a British seaside town with some class.

Thorpeness and Aldeburgh down the road were also nice.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
I visited Nottingham for the first time just over a week ago. I have to say I was actually quite impressed. Old Market Square is lovely and intu Nottingham Victoria is looking sharp. The area around the old bus station is very derelict but in fairness work is taking place there, although that happens everywhere (look at Cardiff before OCS was built!)

Also used the NET between Beeston and the city centre, again very good.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
I visited Nottingham for the first time just over a week ago. I have to say I was actually quite impressed. Old Market Square is lovely and intu Nottingham Victoria is looking sharp. The area around the old bus station is very derelict but in fairness work is taking place there, although that happens everywhere (look at Cardiff before OCS was built!)

Also used the NET between Beeston and the city centre, again very good.

My mothers side of the family are from Nottingham and it's a place I have many great memories of. I think it's a great city and always enjoy visiting it. Lots of interesting history too.
 

Strathclyder

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
3,837
Location
Clydebank
Portknockie up in Moray in the northeast of Scotland. Quaint, rustic, pretty little ex-fishermens' cottages and some utterly breathtaking scenery. Went up there for a week's holiday back in July; we liked it so much that we're going back again for a fortnight next year...
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Another vote for Cornwall here, below is a shot of the beach at Bossiney near Tintagel where we holidayed recently, has to be amongst the finest to be found in Europe.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 18

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Another vote for Cornwall here, below is a shot of the beach at Bossiney near Tintagel where we holidayed recently, has to be amongst the finest to be found in Europe.

Beautiful. I wonder if we could edge our border a few miles west on the north coast..? ;)
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Beautiful. I wonder if we could edge our border a few miles west on the north coast..? ;)

I'd like to bet our fellow member Busaholic who I believe resides in the far west of the county does actually consider this to be still Devon, or at least up country as you folk tend to refer to down there ;)

That was also a lovely spot you originally posted on Dartmoor btw.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I'd like to bet our fellow member Busaholic who I believe resides in the far west of the county does actually consider this to be still Devon, or at least up country as you folk tend to refer to down there ;)

That was also a lovely spot you originally posted on Dartmoor btw.

I've never visited Bossiney, but it looks marvellous. It was a stay in nearby Boscastle in 1987, though, that helped my wife and I to make the momentous decision to move from London to Cornwall. As regards the border with Devon, I'm the least nationalist person around so really don't care! I could happily live in Devon, or anywhere else come to that. I do empathise with people 'down here' who feel forgotten about, or not taken into account, but we/they can be our/their worst enemies too, as was shown in the Brexit vote.;)
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
I've never visited Bossiney, but it looks marvellous. It was a stay in nearby Boscastle in 1987, though, that helped my wife and I to make the momentous decision to move from London to Cornwall. As regards the border with Devon, I'm the least nationalist person around so really don't care! I could happily live in Devon, or anywhere else come to that. I do empathise with people 'down here' who feel forgotten about, or not taken into account, but we/they can be our/their worst enemies too, as was shown in the Brexit vote.;)

Ah Boscastle, another very special place! I could fully understand how it must have made that decision so much easier, I do have to say that I fully agree with your Brexit comment btw ;)
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Ah Boscastle, another very special place! I could fully understand how it must have made that decision so much easier, I do have to say that I fully agree with your Brexit comment btw ;)

Walked around Boscastle Harbour on a lovely July evening and the only sign of any life was a seal frolicking in the water: I suspect the decision was made there and then, though we couldn't admit it to ourselves.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top